• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I did the same thing in Cades cove. We went with some friends, and the guy happened to be a Minister, They wanted to check out the old churches in the cove, ...

Do these old churches count as federal buildings? If they're empty and no rangers are there... :dunno:

I did OC at Glacier and surprisingly my wife was happy about that. The few federal buildings (not privately run gift shops) have federal stickers on the doors, but the restrooms were in a detached building. Gun stayed in the car when in the visitors center.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Do these old churches count as federal buildings? If they're empty and no rangers are there... :dunno:

I did OC at Glacier and surprisingly my wife was happy about that. The few federal buildings (not privately run gift shops) have federal stickers on the doors, but the restrooms were in a detached building. Gun stayed in the car when in the visitors center.

I'm not 100% certain, but would figure they are. I thought about going on in, as there was nobody else around, but decided to err on the side of caution, which I always try to do.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    We are in the Smokies this weekend. We stopped at the Sugarlands visitor center (just into the park from Gatlinburg) and the usual no guns signs were at the doors but not at the unattached restroom building. On a board outside the complex they had park rules. It specifically listed fireworks and weapons as being unlawful to have in the park. I went to the rangers at the visitors desk and said something to the effect of, "The weapons policy was changed some time ago, wasn't it?" They said that it had been and you could "conceal carry" in the park but not some buildings. I told them about the sign and they said, "We're working on getting that changed." I told them that it is wrong and people who aren't as smart as me (Ortega is a smart a$$ pr**k sometimes ) will think they can't carry. They just kinda looked at me. I also informed them that OC is legal in Tennessee and one of them said basically, "Whatever. We go by the law of the state that the park is in."

I don't think they have any intention of changing the signs (they are just standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper and would take all of 15 minutes to change on a word processor.) I'll probably write a letter to the director and point out that the prohibition wording needs to come out NOW.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    TN law says no carry in any local,state or fed parks.... it's a no go everytime i go visit the in-laws.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    TN law says no carry in any local,state or fed parks.... it's a no go everytime i go visit the in-laws.
    Check the TN page on handgunlaw.us. It appears that licensed individuals are specifically exempted from the prohibition of weapons in parks UNLESS a unit of government has specifically set aside an area or park where you can't. I'd check with the TN attorney general or call a state police post if you have doubts.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI

Incorrect on all counts--local, state, and federal.

You can carry in national parks subject to state law. That means you can carry on both the TN side and the NC side of the GSMNP openly or concealed. In general you can also carry openly or concealed in TN local and state parks if you have a license to carry. The local ones you cannot are on a case-by-case basis and have to be voted on.

Firearms carry in GSMNP
    GSMNP Laws & Policies
    As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

All TN state parks allow the carry of firearms.
    Tennessee State Parks: Firearms Policies
    Public Chapter 428 of 2009 created an exception in state firearms law that allows individuals with a valid "carry permit" to carry a handgun within the boundaries of all state parks.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Incorrect on all counts--local, state, and federal.

You can carry in national parks subject to state law. That means you can carry on both the TN side and the NC side of the GSMNP openly or concealed. In general you can also carry openly or concealed in TN local and state parks if you have a license to carry. The local ones you cannot are on a case-by-case basis and have to be voted on.

Firearms carry in GSMNP
    GSMNP Laws & Policies
    As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

All TN state parks allow the carry of firearms.
    Tennessee State Parks: Firearms Policies
    Public Chapter 428 of 2009 created an exception in state firearms law that allows individuals with a valid "carry permit" to carry a handgun within the boundaries of all state parks.
    Thanks. I thought I had it right.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Shooting a bear in the national park is a world of crap I dont ever want to deal with.

You would prob still be fined if you were killed and eaten by the bear...for feeding the wildlife or some bs....they always find a way....BOHICA

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I assume it's black bears? If so, I grew up out west and black bears were generally shy of humans, unless there was easy access to food. But our dogs always kept them away. Of course now out west, I hear that bears are more of an issue then they use to to be due to less hunting.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    We stayed at an older motel Thursday and Friday nights. On Friday morning I noticed a trash can knocked over and stuff strewn about on the ground inside a main level gang way. I told the desk people about it and said, "Please tell me that was a dog." The lady said, no it was almost surely a bear. I asked what to do if I walked around the corner and came face to face with one. She said to not run and try to look big! Riiiigggghhhht. How do you do that? You would think the cops or bunny chasers would try to trap the critter and release it way up in the hills.

The desk lady at a much nicer place that we stayed at Saturday night had a run-in in the past in the back parking lot. It was semi dark and she saw a figure. It turned out to be a female with a couple cubs and it stood on its hind legs. She said she screamed and ran.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    We stayed at an older motel Thursday and Friday nights. On Friday morning I noticed a trash can knocked over and stuff strewn about on the ground inside a main level gang way. I told the desk people about it and said, "Please tell me that was a dog." The lady said, no it was almost surely a bear. I asked what to do if I walked around the corner and came face to face with one. She said to not run and try to look big! Riiiigggghhhht. How do you do that? You would think the cops or bunny chasers would try to trap the critter and release it way up in the hills.

The desk lady at a much nicer place that we stayed at Saturday night had a run-in in the past in the back parking lot. It was semi dark and she saw a figure. It turned out to be a female with a couple cubs and it stood on its hind legs. She said she screamed and ran.
    We stayed in a cabin above Gatlinburg over Labor Day weekend. Had a sow and two cubs come up to the front door and inspect an empty cooler on the front porch one morning. The next morning we saw a much larger one run up the hillside right across the road from the door when we were loading up the cars. Just after that, my inlaws showed just how much they love and appreciate me by electing me to carry the trash down the hill to the bin just before we left!

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    I was pulled over last year in the park and the ranger asked me several times if I had a gun. one stayed behing the right door with has hand on his gun gaurding my wife and the other had me out of the jeep. All I had was a stanley knive in a tool poach and was asked why I had it. when it was all done he told me to have a good day without a ticket. I got the idea he was scared people with guns.

Top Bottom