• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Things are going to get worse. Unemployment is going to go up...and by up I mean great depression levels and then some. We are going to enter a global depression.
    Why? Two main reasons.
    1.The manufacturing base is worse than decimated. Not just in the USA the world. An infection in one country has huge impacts on others now with everyone needing parts and materials from somewhere else. What little capacity to manufacture the USA has almost all depends on parts from somewhere else. From car to medicine it is all going to be impacted.

2.Consumers. The "driver" of the global economy for the last 15 years. Hard to consume if you can not leave your home. Hard to consume when an area starts seeing lots of sickness and death. Even harder when people do not leave their homes. Hard to consume when the products you want to buy are not available.

It is going to be brutal,ugly,and painful both from sickness and economic impact. It will last YEARS. Get over the idea this is only going to be impacting you a few months. It is not possible. Before we even had community spread it the USA,the impacts not yet felt where going to last years...

:rolleyes:

Dude, chill.

It's not ebola. Hell, it's not even SARS.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Dude, chill.

It's not even Swine flu. Which I had by the way.

It suuuuucked. Like seriously sucked. H1N1 was probably the sickest I have ever been with the flu but it lasted for about 4 days and then I got better. A majority of people who get CoronaVirus have zero symptoms or ill effects.

Will there be many more cases? Yes. Will more people die from CV? Unfortunately yes. Will it derail the economy and last for years? Highly unlikely.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My position...

I'm not the least bit concerned about Corona virus, I'm concerned with people losing their collective ****. If that happens, I'll sit at home and wait for everyone to pull their heads out of their asses and realize the sky isn't falling.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    WTHR has a confusing banner, saying "No Fans at NCAA Championship", but they're saying that they will be letting them in after all. I don't know what is going on.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    There’s a coyote counting thread in the outdoor forum. Will there be a Corona counter thread here so Ingo can keep track of how many have the virus?
    That way if you get the virus you can just +1:tinfoil:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So that raises the question - when would have been the "right" time to "do something"?

China remains mostly closed. The WHO is at the host country's mercy in terms of what information is available and when.

Unless we want to grant the WHO some sort of super-authority to enter into countries for medical reasons.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I may have missed it, but did ya'all see that 3 TSA people have tested positive?

Now, granted, they interact with a LOT of people. So, statistically, it is no surprise that they've been exposed. But, at the same time, they've also interacted - post-exposure - with a lot of people. That's one example of how this thing breaks containment.

Like the common cold or flu. There is absolutely no way to contain it or stop it. Treat the patients who have it and educate (remind) people the importance of good personal hygiene; like washing your hands and covering your mouth.

They have never been able to contain the flu, colds, cancer and such. What makes anyone think they can contain this?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    World Health organization.
    It is a pandemic.
    In the past two weeks the number of cases outside China has increased thirteenfold and the number of affected countries has tripled,” WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference at the organization’s headquarters in Geneva. “In the days and weeks ahead, we expect to see the number of cases, the number of deaths and the number of affected countries to climb even higher.”

“We’re deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction,” he said, just before declaring the pandemic. “We have rung the alarm bell loud and clear.”

“We’re deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction,” he said, just before declaring the pandemic. “We have rung the alarm bell loud and clear.”

“This is a reality check for every government on the planet: Wake up. Get ready. This virus may be on its way and you need to be ready. You have a duty to your citizens, you have a duty to the world to be ready,”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/who-declares-the-coronavirus-outbreak-a-global-pandemic.html

Yep....and global warming was supposed to do us in years ago. GEEZ....the sky is fallng the sky is falling. We cannot re-elect Trump or we'll all die! DNC; please help!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Careful. If you are not panicking someone will call you a 'Alex Jones conspiracy theorist'
    Haha, no.
    It just sounded like something Alex would say.
    I’m not panicking and not promoting any panic. I have argued/discussed with both extremes, the deniers and the sky-is-fallingers.
    What the deniers (or former deniers) seem to be most upset about is the hype from media, which I haven’t seen at all. I’m not looking. I’m basing my conclusions on info and logic. As a matter of fact longbow who you quoted was stating facts as he saw them, which is exactly what my little town looks like too. Probably most places, except the sensationalized ones which are a blip on the radar. But once again, I haven’t seen hardly any of that because I’m not looking for it and ignore it if it comes across. I only see a few people asking if you’re prepared, and a few more who have the wherewithal to prepare doing so. Just seems like the smart thing to do.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    WELP its official.

Covid-19 is being blamed on the cancellation of the WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ICE HOCKEY match up.

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Maybe if it was topless I might have heard of it before this? I can't even imagine the economic fall out related to the cancellation of this event? 3 bags of popcorn and 12 beers will not be sold at the ice rink?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So that raises the question - when would have been the "right" time to "do something"?

China remains mostly closed. The WHO is at the host country's mercy in terms of what information is available and when.

Unless we want to grant the WHO some sort of super-authority to enter into countries for medical reasons.

You can not do much with your question honestly. The right time would depend on something lacking a great deal through this entire thing. Reliable information.
    I do not think China has been honest.I still remember back in early January when the WHO actually questioned the numbers. It was the only time they did. After that
    "gaff" they did nothing but cheer and praise China every day.

Without reliable information the right time is not a question that can be answered.

When is the right time to close schools? Just over 3 weeks ago.
    When is the right time to stop international flight. Well over 2 months ago.
    When was the right time to start mass testing. Probably back around Febuary 5th when the CDC sent 100 labs across the nation test kits. Then turned around and told them not to use them,only to tell them to use two parts of them and start testing on March 9th.

This should not be happening. The entire premise that you could only have this if you had been to China should have never happened. The CDC understood this disease fairly well in January. They put the pressure on the WHO to get this declared a global health emergency.

Not sure what happened behind closed doors since then,but it screwed us.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I certainly have not wanted anyone to live in fear. I want people to prepare for this. I have mentioned before things you take for granted now,will soon not be available to you.
    From a new oil filter,a new TV,or the latest clothing. Things will not be normal for years. Wuhan was easing restrictions....they did it for less than a day,and now have gone back to the policy of no one is allowed to leave their home.

Things are going to get worse. Unemployment is going to go up...and by up I mean great depression levels and then some. We are going to enter a global depression.
    Why? Two main reasons.
    1.The manufacturing base is worse than decimated. Not just in the USA the world. An infection in one country has huge impacts on others now with everyone needing parts and materials from somewhere else. What little capacity to manufacture the USA has almost all depends on parts from somewhere else. From car to medicine it is all going to be impacted.

2.Consumers. The "driver" of the global economy for the last 15 years. Hard to consume if you can not leave your home. Hard to consume when an area starts seeing lots of sickness and death. Even harder when people do not leave their homes. Hard to consume when the products you want to buy are not available.

It is going to be brutal,ugly,and painful both from sickness and economic impact. It will last YEARS. Get over the idea this is only going to be impacting you a few months. It is not possible. Before we even had community spread it the USA,the impacts not yet felt where going to last years.

What to do?

Lessen the impact on you and those you love. Prepare. Enjoy what you can do. Some families I hope will become closer,not further apart. Kids reconnecting with parents. Who knows some may even put down their phones long enough to play a board game.Plant a large garden(it can actually be very enjoyable)
    This what advice from
    In short no large groups. No large events. Telework and medicine where possible.
    Limit your exposure to public places. Clean your own home and things you touch,on a regular basis. Be more careful what you actually touch. Remove yourself from higher risk environments. Adjust to all of these things,and accept it is the new normal.

What not to do. Do not plan a vacation. Those summer "events" you like are not happening. The state fair,it is not happening. Those in charge will be forced to accept reality and soon. Be ahead of them.

Everything will soon be about mitigation. Not fixing anything,but trying to lessen the impacts. This will be the government response at every level. It already should be yours.

Life is not over. It is not the "end". But things are going to change rapidly and globally.

Be well,be safe,you are loved.
    I predict that this post will not age well.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Dude, chill.

You are right. It is not ebola and it is not sars. Some light reading for you. https://www.ft.com/content/de0a7c9e-56ff-11ea-a528-dd0f971febbc

This is worse than either of those diseases. It may not kill as quickly. It may not kill the same percentage.

But it will and has already killed more than either of those disease in history.

Take ebola. It has caused less than 4000 deaths since 1974. Covid-19 has already killed 4595 officially in 4 months.

Sars since 2003 has infected just over 3000 with less than 400 deaths in the entire history of the disease.

You can not compare this to those. You can not compare it to the flu when it has over 45 times the death rate(low estimate).

I am personally not sticking my head in the ground. It is your life and no one can tell you how to live it,and I would not assume to try.

I offer advise. Advise I come to based on how my mind works. Logic and reason. I do panic. I do not allow fear to make choices for me. I do not believe in hate or anger,as personally i feel they do no good.

Simply put it is your choice to take advise or not,and you are responsible for anything that happens in your life.

One thing I do not want to hear from you or anyone else. Not the media,not the government and certainly not those who blame those that give information they do not want to hear or listen to....and I am certain it will happen....this is what I do not want to hear. "No one could have seen this coming".

Also do not call be dude. It is not a term that fits me personally.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    This is worse than either of those diseases. It may not kill as quickly. It may not kill the same percentage.

But it will and has already killed more than either of those disease in history.

No doubt this is a bad virus. I agree we should not panic, no reson to do that. My concern is strictl;y how is is handled by the media politicians. They have politicized the virus.

Take precautions, that is all we can do. The government, to the best of my knowledge, has a poor track record of containing any disease (i.e cold, flu and such). The only this is to reduse the number of hosts; which we (you and I ) can control. We have become a very laxed country and are easily inconvenienced.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The wife is a professor at a local college, they just went to online for the next three weeks and most likely the rest of the school year.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    You are right. It is not ebola and it is not sars. Some light reading for you. https://www.ft.com/content/de0a7c9e-56ff-11ea-a528-dd0f971febbc

Take ebola. It has caused less than 4000 deaths since 1974. Covid-19 has already killed 4595 officially in 4 months.

Sars since 2003 has infected just over 3000 with less than 400 deaths in the entire history of the disease.

You can not compare this to those. You can not compare it to the flu when it has over 45 times the death rate(low estimate).

I am personally not sticking my head in the ground. It is your life and no one can tell you how to live it,and I would not assume to try.

I offer advise. Advise I come to based on how my mind works. Logic and reason. I do panic. I do not allow fear to make choices for me. I do not believe in hate or anger,as personally i feel they do no good.

Simply put it is your choice to take advise or not,and you are responsible for anything that happens in your life.

One thing I do not want to hear from you or anyone else. Not the media,not the government and certainly not those who blame those that give information they do not want to hear or listen to....and I am certain it will happen....this is what I do not want to hear. "No one could have seen this coming".

Also do not call be dude. It is not a term that fits me personally.

Dude, Jeffery Dahmer has ate more humans then the Coronavirus has killed.. it’s fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom