• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    We've had an infestation of coyotes here this summer and they've been wreaking havoc on the rabbits, turkeys, and fawns. They've gotten so brazen they'd come out in the yard almost any time. Usually if I'd see them by the time I could get a rifle they would have moved on.
    Well, yesterday I had finished up in the shop and was sitting in the door watching a couple of deer feed under the apple trees. All of a sudden the deer went from totally calm to absolute panic instantaneously, running past the shop into the woods. I know I didn't spook them, they will ignore me while I'm out futzing around in yard and not really pay me any attention until I get within about 25 feet. So, something was up.
    I reached over and picked up my .223 T3 that I had thoughtfully took with me to the shop and chambered a round. Sure enough, 3 yotes popped out of the edge of the woods and started working the edge, one on the outside in the yard, a second just inside the woods and the third in the middle and behind the first 2, following the basic path the deer took.
    I watched them a bit then raised up the rifle and put the crosshairs on the one in the yard, as it was the only one I had a clear shot on. It paused for a second and raised its head up, like it knew something was up. That was all I needed, when the crosshairs settled between its eyes, I pulled the trigger...
    boom%20headshot_zpscoj0efsy.gif

It might, might, have seen the muzzle flash. Bullet hit just slightly above the centerline of its eyes, blew out the top and back of the skull, then hit it again slightly to the left of the spine, severing it also. No "magic bullet" ala JFK, the shop sits up on a rise and I was shooting downhill. Tried to get a shot on a second one but the other 2 were already halfway to Dubois Co. Should have had an AR.
    Young female, so she won't ever breed and make more of the bastards.
    And now a couple pics of a very dead yote that has killed its last. Sorry about the blurriness, it was so humid the camera lens kept fogging up.
    SAM_0723_zps0dr4ivsj.jpg

And some blood, brains , and gore.
    SAM_0726_zps3g2uycvt.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Forgot to mention in my OP, the deer were back out not 15 minutes after I shot the yote, acted real spooky when they got close to the scene but also very curious about what happened there. Then today they've been out there off and all day acting like nothing happened. Also dropped the 3-9x Leupold back on the AR and got it sighted in so I'll be ready if more than one shows up again.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I have found that if you shoot a yote right behind the front leg ( a lung shot), that most of the time they will spin , bite at the wound, and yip for about 5 seconds before falling over dead. If another one is close by it will stand and watch his buddy doing the death dance, and that will give you about five seconds for a shot at him.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Looks like you have some well trained yote's there. You commanded it to lay down and play dead and it took the command to a whole new level of compliance...nice shot!

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    When you get the chance for a double always shoot the smallest Yote first. If it is a male / female hunting pair the male will usually hesitate to look for the female giving you the opportunity for a follow up double. Ive gotten quite a few doubles this way but never a triple, guess i will have to keep trying. :): Also found that at least around my neck of the woods the males are more cautious while the females run straight in on the food. As far as eradicating them, the farmers out west tried that for many years without success, its more about managing their numbers. i like watching and studying them almost as much as i like hunting them. They are an amazingly adaptive animal.

Top Bottom