• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Waited 7 weeks for a crossbreed. Something that should have taken 3-5 days.

Ouch.

I will say that they do standby their warranty. When my clips broke they replaced the plastic clips on my old Supertuck with new metal ones and replaced my really old standard tuck with a brand new supertuck.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Who really thinks that Crossbreed holsters weren't copied?:dunno:

Copied? No..
    I think Crossbreed was influenced by Tucker's The Answer, then other holster makers were influenced by both.. then Crossbreed decided to stifle the competition by lawsuit, rather then by the free market.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I prefer my White Hat Holsters, all 3 of them. I will also send a short, 2 word email to Crossbreed.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    IANAL: I was working to try and file a patent. There are two questions that seemed to really define the scope. My guess is that Crossbreed is trying to argue those two. #1 is what are you doing differently that is significant enough to warrant a patent. #2 is this currently available in the consumer market.

I think they're going to have a hard time proving either. But, the filing can grant them a provisional patent. Someone else has to step up and prove that Crossbreed took it from them. That's where the one with the most money to throw at it wins.

If I am reading that webpage in the OP correctly, so far the only Patent they have actually been granted is one for "Decorative Clips"..

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Copied? No..
    I think Crossbreed was influenced by Tucker's The Answer, then other holster makers were influenced by both.. then Crossbreed decided to stifle the competition by lawsuit, rather then by the free market.

However you can justify it in your mind is all that counts for you.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Uhm, ok?
    The Tucker predates the Crossbreed by 3 years.. so how, again, is Crossbreed being the one copied?

At the time I didn't see Crossbreed as a direct copy of Tucker, I saw Crossbreed as an improvement. There are several that are direct copies of Crossbreed.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    At the time I didn't see Crossbreed as a direct copy of Tucker, I saw Crossbreed as an improvement. There are several that are direct copies of Crossbreed.

If that were true, why is Crossbreed going after pretty much EVERY "hybrid" holster maker.. Like Kholster? The leather isn't the same shape, the clips arent "decorative", they use cheaper leather, etc.

Was Crossbreed really an "improvement"? Seems (to me) that they made a similar holster, with less materials, for a lower cost, than the Tucker. Then other holster makers kinda did the same thing to Crossbreed...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Kholster:

Kholster-1.jpg

SuperTuck:

cimg1737.jpg

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I received two responses to my email inquiry:

1st:

Sorry, for any way we have ruined our reputation in your eyes. Mark was actually the one who filled the patient and was worried about the industry people making money from his design. He never cared about the garage guys who are just trying to make a living. In business when you can patent an idea or design, it allows a company to protect their products and creates a longer life for the company. As you know almost everyone has made a copy or very similar to our SuperTuck Holster, after years of seeing so many others profit from your idea, you might consider putting a stop to it once you've been issued the patent. The patent is broad but that was the only way we could file for it. Even if we were on the other side of the coin, we would never message or talk down openly about a company, when they are just doing the best thing for their company. I personally have worked here for over 5 yrs and we still have plenty of old associates that demand and keep Mark's standard alive.
    Thanks,

My response:

Do you deny that holsters were manufactured and sold in the marketplace that were for all intents and purposes predated your designs and were basically the same design?

2nd Crossbreed response by the theirr Customer Service Manager:

My name is Lindsey and I am the Customer Service Manager here at CrossBreed. We understand why the things you've read about us in relation to this patent issue would cause you concern. We feel that the American way is fair competition, and the reason that patents are issued is because it is only fair that the person who does the work to build a company should reap the rewards. Our founder, Mark Craighead, spent years of his life creating the best holster he knew how to make and added innovations that he felt were unique. Mark took big risks with his family's financial security to build a company to sell that holster. After he made that holster very popular, dozens of competitors came out of the woodwork to piggyback on his success, some of whom used underhanded business techniques to try to steal business from him.
    Patents are very hard to get - most applications for a patent are rejected. If one of our competitors felt that Mark's design wasn't unique enough, and that our patent was invalid, there are very simple ways of asking the US Patent Office to repeal the patent. If there was any reason at all to repeal it, that's exactly what the Patent Office would have done and both sides would have continued on with business as before. Instead, one of our competitors decided to make a website disparaging our company and our deceased founder, and tried to cover up the fact that it was them who did it. We know which company it is but we are not going to drag anyone's name through the mud.
    We hope you will understand that it has never been our desire to do anything other than make the best holster in the world and treat our customers fairly, and that will continue to be our mission in the future.
    I want to personally thank you for sharing your feelings with us on this matter. If you need any assistance or have any questions in relation to our products, please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Have a wonderful afternoon,

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    Instead, one of our competitors decided to make a website disparaging our company and our deceased founder,

This makes me laugh. There is nothing in anything that anyway attacks crossbreed as a company. The facts were laid out for all to see, and are easily validated by any regular Joe, and when crossbreed comes out looking like a fool, they claim it was an attempt to discredit them. Their own actions over the years have discredited them. I feel truly sorry for them, it must be hard when you live a life of lies and false values.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Do you deny that holsters were manufactured and sold in the marketplace that were for all intents and purposes predated your designs and were basically the same design?

Basically the same design? Not even close... same concept? Sure But NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same design...

That's why one of the first people they went after was Kholster... puhleeeease

The only difference between the Kholster & the Super-Tuck is the shape of the leather backer... seems pretty close to the Crossbreed design if you ask me.

And the "kholster" is pretty widely known; doesn't sound like a garage guy to me. How many holsters are they selling in a year? I think what Crossbreed means by "garage guys" are the guys that are making 20-50 one-off holsters per year for local customers... They aren't really impacting Crossbreed's sales that much...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Basically the same design? Not even close... same concept? Sure But NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same design...

The only difference between the Kholster & the Super-Tuck is the shape of the leather backer... seems pretty close to the Crossbreed design if you ask me.

And the "kholster" is pretty widely known; doesn't sound like a garage guy to me. How many holsters are they selling in a year? I think what Crossbreed means by "garage guys" are the guys that are making 20-50 one-off holsters per year for local customers... They aren't really impacting Crossbreed's sales that much...

Crossbreed is not even close to The Answer, but Kholster is pretty close? huh..

We are talking about YEARS ago when Kholster first started, in a garage... They were barely up and running before Crossbreed was slamming them all over the internet and sending them Cease and Desist orders..

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Crossbreed is not even close to The Answer, but Kholster is pretty close? huh..

We are talking about YEARS ago when Kholster first started, in a garage... They were barely up and running before Crossbreed was slamming them all over the internet and sending them Cease and Desist orders..
    Intersting. I had never heard of The Answer, so I had to go look at it.
    theanswer__78924.1405407916.1280.1280.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've never purchased Crossbreed. After reading this thread, I doubt that I will any time soon.

General observation, from the pics here, their craftsmanship doesn't look like much to write home about.

Top Bottom