• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    With China not buying our recyclables anymore some areas are scrapping recycling programs. My parents are in franklin and no one is accepting new clients for even regular trash services.

i wonder what happens to the recyclables that are being picked up. Are they just tossed into general waste?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    China announced the change in policy a year ago.

But American bureaucrats don't experience time the same way that we do. To them, a one-year preparation time is like a nano-second; incomprehensibly short.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I ran the recycle facility at WM in Indy, what a joke, when China was buying our cardboard all was well, when that went to **** we just dumped it in the trash, entire program has been shut down for a long time.

In Indy most of it goes to the boiler regardless.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I ran the recycle facility at WM in Indy, what a joke, when China was buying our cardboard all was well, when that went to **** we just dumped it in the trash, entire program has been shut down for a long time.

In Indy most of it goes to the boiler regardless.

The problem I see with municipal programs, at least the ones I've looked into, is that they want to charge me for the bin, charge me to haul it off and charge me if something is placed in the wrong bin. THEN they sell whatever I've recycled to the highest bidder. Typical government scam being paid on both ends. Me? I'm not going to play.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    The problem I see with municipal programs, at least the ones I've looked into, is that they want to charge me for the bin, charge me to haul it off and charge me if something is placed in the wrong bin. THEN they sell whatever I've recycled to the highest bidder. Typical government scam being paid on both ends. Me? I'm not going to play.

I'm fortunate not to be stuck with whatever the city has chosen, but I probably end up paying more because of it. That said, I will not pay them for the privilege of separating out my recyclables just so they have an easier time selling them off, either.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My recycling program is more of a jobs program. I drive down the road, throwing out beer cans, thereby providing employment to the guys that go around collecting cans to trade for cash. Win-Win, I get a buzz, and provide employment for someone else.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Nice start, but I got you beat. I pee into my plastic bottles and launch them. I save gallons of water a day, water the grass, AND provide recycling opportunities

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

Zero money in recycling, once uppon a time a big deal, WM has million uppon millions invested in recycling, their investors will not see a return in their life times.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Nice start, but I got you beat. I pee into my plastic bottles and launch them. I save gallons of water a day, water the grass, AND provide recycling opportunities
    I bow to your superior recycling program. If I were closer to Michigan, the aluminum can guys would be out of a job, as I would take all the Indiana cans and bottles to MI for cash, ala Seinfeld!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Many large municipalities ran into issues when they started recycling glass.
    Tons of glass piles sat around for years before they found buyers and many actually lost money.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well it’s been proposed and I think a court blocked it somewhere. Just crazy

it’s estimated 75% of butts are littered a year. Literally trillions of them.

No Butts left Behind: How to Pay for Cigarette Butt Collection and Recycling - Environmental Finance Blog

There are companies that recycle cigarette butts now...they turn them into pallets, benches and other plastics. They donate $1 to charity for every pound of butts collected. They have many Fortune 500 companies involved and collecting butts. Terracycle is one that comes to mind.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When I got to Indiana I was sad because there are no hills here.
    Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom