• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    New toy, must share! Picked up a 455 Varmint yesterday. So, I'm definitely on the CZ bandwagon these days. This is my second CZ and first CZ long gun. I'm actually kind of excited about owning a .22 again...it's been awhile! Looking forward to getting out and shooting some groups.

I went with CZ rings and a Sightron SII 3x12 on top. I'm not sure if this stock would be considered a "wood lottery" win, but I'm pretty happy with the looks of it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out and shoot it this weekend.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Factory target looks pretty promising...
    picture.php

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Holy Crap that's a nice stock! I have a half dozen CZs and still haven't hit the wood lottery. My 452 Varmints in 22LR and 17HMR are extremely accurate rifles. Enjoy yours.... :yesway:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks guys. This was a special order at the LGS, so I paid for it before I ever saw it. Most of the 455s I've seen have pretty plain wood patterns, so it definitely made me smile a little when I pulled this out of the box.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Nice gun.
    I picked up a 453 Varmint in 22 last November and got a Sightron sII Big Sky 4-14 side focus for mine.

After sighting in at 100 yards, I went to the 200 yard range and the first group on paper was 5 shots in a little over 4".

I'll second the cleaning the barrel part, also. Not sure if it was leftover from machining, but mine was absolutely filthy.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Interesting, the barrel on this one was very clean. I ran a few patches though it before going to the range, and then used a boresnake at the range after 50 rounds or so. Probably put 100 rounds through it total today, mostly just getting it sighted in and letting some friends give it a whirl. Didn't have time to work on grouping as I spent most of the afternoon "qualifying" to shoot at long range with my .308 (Hillside in Roanoke).

Anyways, I was getting 1" (more or less) groups at 50yds with Winchester 555 box stuff. I did shoot one group of Wolf Match Extra through it and got about a half in group off hand...three shots in a clover leaf and one each about a 1/4 left and right of that group. I'm pretty confident that this thing can shoot if I take the time to point it in the right direction.

I never used to understand why people would spend so much time and energy shooting .22s, but now I'm starting to get it. I imagine I'll eventually have a lot of trigger time on this little CZ. :D

Next time I'll have pictures and groups, I promise!

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Gorgeous rifle. That stock is amazingly beautiful. Enjoy the affliction. I bought my first CZ not to long ago and I continue to browse the classifieds in hopes of finding another one day.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I actually got to shoot some groups today, so I thought I'd update this thread with my results.

All this data is for 5 shot groups at 50 yards off the bench.
    Method of measurement: Measure outside edge of furthest holes in each group and subtract the average hole diameter.

Win 555 Bulk pack
    Best 2 of 5 groups:
    0.539"
    0.650"

Average 0.796"
    Standard Deviation 0.21"
    Best group with flyers thrown out: 0.315"

Not bad...
    p176692371-3.jpg

Wolf Match Extra
    Best 2 of 8 groups:
    0.764"
    0.829"

Average 1.302"
    Standard Deviation 0.42"
    Best group with flyers thrown out: 0.379"

Nevermind that flyer...
    p38344179-3.jpg

Eley Subsonic HP
    Best 2 of 9 groups:

Average 0.770"
    Standard Deviation 0.14"
    Best group with flyers thrown out: 0.354"

Not bad...
    p176638137-3.jpg

I'd like to have had some smaller groups, but it wasn't to be today...didn't break .5" on any 5 shot group. The Win 555 and Wolf Match Extra both surprised me. The Win 555 shot surprisingly well, gave me my best group of the day, and had more consistency than the Wolf. The Wolf Match Extra gave me some great 4 shot groups, but there were fliers all day, which made the group size rather inconsistent. I'm not really sure what was going on, but I may need to do some more work with the Wolf. The Eley Subsonic HPs were very consistent, and shot quite nicely. It was more consistent than the Win 555, and never gave me a group over 1". Virtually no fliers with the Eley...or at least the fliers weren't as far off the group as with the others.

I figure I'll do a little more work before I try to stretch it out to 100 yards. I'd really like to be shooting under .5" at 50yds if possible. Still have a box of Federal Match that I need to try as well. I'm certainly liking the Eley and am pretty impressed with the cheapy Winchester at this point though.

Cheeers! :cheers:

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Very nice. Now just add a Timney or Yo-Dave trigger and you will be amazed what that rifle can do. I am a big Sightron fan as well, excellent choice in optics.

Top Bottom