• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Single action only sucks on a revolver. Double, yeah, I don't mind. Oh, where's the hammer, too? She won't let me call my P12 a 1911 even though it has all the stuff, so I'll just say, yes, ma'am. Not a 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own a Para Ordinance Tack 4 1911 with the double action. It is ok but the trigger leaves me a bit confused when I practice with it. If you are a 1911 sort of person you will be unhappy with this piece. Just my opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Single action only sucks on a revolver. Double, yeah, I don't mind. Oh, where's the hammer, too? She won't let me call my P12 a 1911 even though it has all the stuff, so I'll just say, yes, ma'am. Not a 1911.

I love my P-12 especially when it is sporting my P-14 mags. It is a 1911 to me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Maybe try a Kimber Solo if you want 1911 styling but with a DA trigger?

Personally the Solo seems a bit over priced and while folks report good results with many different kinds of ammo, Kimber actually provides a very specific list of ammo that is recommended. Both of those aspects as well as others would not put it high on my list, but all the gun mag writers seem to be drooling over it, and praising it as being very 1911 like.

hero.png

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Maybe try a Kimber Solo if you want 1911 styling but with a DA trigger?

Personally the Solo seems a bit over priced and while folks report good results with many different kinds of ammo, Kimber actually provides a very specific list of ammo that is recommended. Both of those aspects as well as others would not put it high on my list, but all the gun mag writers seem to be drooling over it, and praising it as being very 1911 like.

hero.png

JetGirl will be here in 5...4...3... :D

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Sigh:dunno:

I should have known this would become an "It isnt a 1911" thread

I had a Para P12 LDA that I liked the trigger pull, but it was a widebody with a short barrel. Not good fer packin' so I got rid of it.

But...the trigger was nice.

So, I had this real 1911 and a leather holster. I tried to carry cocked and locked for a while, but something wasnt quite right about the holster, as it wiped off the safety when I pulled the pistol out of it. That made me cringe, seein how I dont come from a gun background, there is still some inate "fear" of firearms in my Psyche.

Revolvers I am fine with, the DA "1911 looking" pistols seem to be the best of both worlds.

I wonder if that colt is DAO?

Johnny C

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Sigh:dunno:

I should have known this would become an "It isnt a 1911" thread

I had a Para P12 LDA that I liked the trigger pull, but it was a widebody with a short barrel. Not good fer packin' so I got rid of it.

But...the trigger was nice.

So, I had this real 1911 and a leather holster. I tried to carry cocked and locked for a while, but something wasnt quite right about the holster, as it wiped off the safety when I pulled the pistol out of it. That made me cringe, seein how I dont come from a gun background, there is still some inate "fear" of firearms in my Psyche.

Revolvers I am fine with, the DA "1911 looking" pistols seem to be the best of both worlds.

I wonder if that colt is DAO?

Johnny C

Johnny, that is the reason I carry the Para Companion. I can carry it without utilizing the safety and I have the comfort of mind, knowing I don't have to draw and remove the safety. Also, I'm carrying a DAO that has a WONDERFUL trigger. Lastly, unlike the P12, the Companion is narrow and feels like any other "real" commander-size 1911.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    JetGirl knows some peeps who have Solos. JetGirl would like to shoot one. But JetGirl knows they are in NO way a "1911". ;)

Didn't say they were ;), and I actually have no interest in a Solo myself. The gun mag writers that love to put a 1911 on every other month's cover seem to love them. It seems to me there are other guns out there that would do everything it is trying to do and for less $$, but it seemed to fit with what the OP was looking for.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Johnny, that is the reason I carry the Para Companion. I can carry it without utilizing the safety and I have the comfort of mind, knowing I don't have to draw and remove the safety. Also, I'm carrying a DAO that has a WONDERFUL trigger. Lastly, unlike the P12, the Companion is narrow and feels like any other "real" commander-size 1911.

Your TRP just died a little inside.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Seecamp Double Action Conversion

seecamp01.jpg

A lovely sample of the Seecamp conversion shown here. This picture has been contributed by one of the M1911.ORG mailing list members, to whom I extend my gratitude. Please note the metallic plate which covers the whole right side of the pistol under the grip panel, and which is used to cover and hold in place the DA mechanism. Also note the pivoting trigger and the rounded (ala CZ-75) trigger guard.

seecamp7.jpg

Seecamp licensed the rights to the 1911 DA/SA conversion to a company called Omega Defensive Industries. In 1981/82 they produced a pistol known as the ODI Viking, using the Seecamp DA setup, in two models; a fullsize and a commander size pistol. It was the only full production commercial true DA/SA 1911 built (as opposed to the handmade Seecamp guns).

They went belly up pretty quickly, and Essex Arms bought their remaining stock of parts. Apparently, at some point Essex decided to make some frames for ther parts and made somewhere between 200 & 300 frames and sold them complete with the Seecamp-license ODI action parts.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Just seem like a solution to a non-existent problem

And it totally ruined the look, imo.
    That trigger (again, in MY opinion) is the ugliest looking one I've seen on a 1911, ever. And the plate on the right just ruined the lines. YUCK.
    Some folks may drool over it, but I'm sure not one of 'em.
    And that's OK. :)

Top Bottom