Dad uses 1911 on laptop to punish child!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Epic parenting skills to say the least.

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter

Video:
    http://youtu.be/kl1ujzRidmU

Now that is the type of parent I hope to be someday.

That's great!

Bad parent. Why air your dirty laundry in public like that? Is it really necessary to publicly humiliate your 15 year old daughter to prove your point?

I say good for him sometimes humiliation is the only way to bring them down to reality. That being said it may be his own fault that he has to bring her down to that.

My kids know that if they have issues that they are to come to me or their mother with them. If my kid did something like that I might not air a video of it but I'd make them watch as I destroyed their Ipad or laptop.

It's really more about the whole attitude of this generation that thinks they are entitled to anything and everything. A lot of that has to do with the parents but not all of it. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    ARRRGGHHH :xmad:

I see Stainer had the same fate.

I'll try to recreate my originally intended post..

Let's assume the kid is a typical teen on FB, that would give about 150-200 'friends' who saw the original letter. Now, how many shares did that get? Should the rebuttal by dad be limited to the kid, or equally disseminated?

To Scutter's comment about things not going away...Some things shouldn't, at least for a while. Trashing your parents in this fashion qualifies, in my book, as one of those things that you keep fresh in the kid's mind. Back in the day, when we were all kids, the lasting reminder would have been the sore ass from dad's belt, and it would not be soon forgotten. Is a youtube video and 8rds of .45 the right answer? Maybe, maybe not, but you can bet the kid won't soon forget.

For those in the thread who are parents, have you ever threatened (or followed through on) taking away your kids toys when they misbehave? I have, threatened and acted on the threat. This is the same thing, on a much larger, and louder, scale.

Yes, my daughter on 2 different occasions has had everything she has taken away. Both times my wife and I went into her room and packed it up with nothing left except her bed and her dresser. She was confined to her room from the time she got home from school till bed time. The only exceptions were to use the bathroom, eat, and shower. The first 3 or 4 days were rough but after that she knew we meant business and within a matter of days after that she was a completely different person. An I agree I think this was the same sort of thing but something that would get her attention much quicker than normal.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Bad parent. Why air your dirty laundry in public like that? Is it really necessary to publicly humiliate your 15 year old daughter to prove your point?

what's wrong with "public" humiliation? It just to be a staple for bad behavior years ago.

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson

It made it clear to me why she said what she said and why she felt the need to put it on Facebook, instead of communicate with her parents. The apple don't fall far from the tree and he failed to teach the values he preaches on the way down; but actions speak louder than words and in that case they are pretty much the same. 40-50 year old man stooping to the level of his 15 year old daughter (sad in and of itself) to passive agressively discipline her, only to be praised by the internet for good parenting, clearly it went wrong long before that but all he's done is shown the world he's raised a spoiled child.

Voices of reason^^^

This girl is in obvious, open rebellion, dealing with that in this manner is probably only going to fan those flames. It definitely needs to be dealt with but in my opinion not in this way. Sadly we, as a society, will most likely be dealing with this girl at some point in the future.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    If you need to throw a tempertantrum and blow holes through a computer to deal with your 15 year old daughter than you've already failed. Congratulations, you now have about 3 years to unteach, reteach, and try to help her get it together before she walks off and becomes another drain on society. Good luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, that was interesting. I agree with everything he did. If not a gun then a bat or a brick. Just to stomp on the thing would fit the needs but the Colt was perfect. By the way, it is exactly like my Colt so it was more cool I guess.
    Yes, he humiliated her publicly in answer to her horrible defamation of him, his currant wife and the child's mother which also, were public. Lets not forget the lady that helps them. A brash and rude child to say the least. Kids today see no boundary's to their actions unless we as parents set them. As with anything, once breached or crossed, these boundary's must be defended or there will be no respect for them. Those parents that fail to see this are failing their children and themselves. JMHO

Should have opened the laptop.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you need to throw a tempertantrum and blow holes through a computer to deal with your 15 year old daughter than you've already failed. Congratulations, you now have about 3 years to unteach, reteach, and try to help her get it together before she walks off and becomes another drain on society. Good luck.

After hearing her post you feel she was not in trouble already?? the un-teach and re-teach was inevitable. His actions are his to live with ours to discuss (he made them public) and hers to learn from or not.
    Again, JMHO

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, he humiliated her publicly in answer to her horrible defamation of him, his currant wife and the child's mother. Lets not forget the lady that helps them. A brash and rude child to say the least. Kids today see no boundary's to their actions unless we as parents set them. As with anything, once breached or crossed, these boundary's must be defended or there will be no respect for them. Those parents that fail to see this are failing their children and themselves. JMHO

All kids everywhere throughout history have complained about and disrespected their parents. Yes, sometimes even out loud in front of other people. However, as a parent, you are expected to be the adult and actually PARENT your children, not vindictively lash out at them where all the world can see. This video is now viral and their business has become everyone else's business. Yes, she should have been disciplined, but it should have been done years ago and it should have been done privately. The only thing this will accomplish is to make her despise him even more. He's failed as a parent and I refuse to applaud him for this action.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    He stooped down to her level to make a point. She did something that a lot of kids would have done (which this was something small). Just think if she did something worse like drinking and driving when shes 15. What would happen then?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All kids everywhere throughout history have complained about and disrespected their parents. Yes, sometimes even out loud in front of other people. However, as a parent, you are expected to be the adult and actually PARENT your children, not vindictively lash out at them where all the world can see. This video is now viral and their business has become everyone else's business. Yes, she should have been disciplined, but it should have been done years ago and it should have been done privately. The only thing this will accomplish is to make her despise him even more. He's failed as a parent and I refuse to applaud him for this action.

Your point is noted and agreed with to an extent. That this went viral is of his own doing. Did he intend for this to happen?? Is it causing her to hate him more than she already did?? is there more to this than we have been allowed to see??
    I have been involved with kids from broken homes that act out in this manner. Sometimes you are not going to win no matter what. This may be the end of a long and hard struggle for him and he saw no other way out. That I find it cool he shot her laptop is something I would have done just not on camera.
    Parenting these days is a serious job. I have raised 6 of my own and helped extensively with a few more.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Your point is noted and agreed with to an extent. That this went viral is of his own doing. Did he intend for this to happen?? Is it causing her to hate him more than she already did?? is there more to this than we have been allowed to see??

He posted it on Facebook where he knew all of her friends would see it. His intent was not to discipline her, but to get back at her. He admits that he works in IT. He cannot possibly be unaware of the highly-public nature of Facebook and the likelihood that something like that could blow up. Yes, I think he intended for the whole world to see what a brat his kid is and he wanted the whole world to see his revenge.

I have been involved with kids from broken homes that act out in this manner. Sometimes you are not going to win no matter what. This may be the end of a long and hard struggle for him and he saw no other way out. That I find it cool he shot her laptop is something I would have done just not on camera.
    Parenting these days is a serious job. I have raised 6 of my own and helped extensively with a few more.
    I agree that raising kids is hard and there are no simple answers. Every situation is different and every kid needs different things. You get no argument from me. The only argument that I'll make is that this guy handled it very poorly. In my opinion, he set a horrible example for his daughter and for any other kids who saw that with both his behavior and the way he portrayed himself on camera. The fact that we're discussing some random stranger's 15 year old daughter's behavior should be proof enough of that. It's NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

Top Bottom