• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Disclaimer to mods: Not sure where to put this so please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum as you see fit.

Ok, my 18 year old daughter just graduated high school. A friend of hers signed up for an 8 year stint in the Navy and was supposed to begin next January. He screwed up royally 2 nights ago and got in trouble with the law. He has now been kicked out of the Navy before he even got started... they told him they don't want him any more.

While Jakal and I were discussing with my daughter what a dumba$$ this kid was for screwing up like he did, she started realizing the benefits, education, pride, etc. that he has now forfeited. Low and behold, my daughter actually started considering joining a branch of the military herself. Yes, she's actually giving it serious thought!

What do you guys & gals think? I can't talk to my family about this because they would automatically go into panic mode thinking she'd be shipped immediately off to Iraq, raped and murdered.

I guess what I want, is to get a feel for what you all think about the idea of an 18 year old girl signing up for the military? What branch would you recommend and why? What are some things to consider/talk to a recruiter about?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This is coming from a Career Soldier in the Army.
    Tell your daughter Air Force.
    They live better.
    The get treated better.
    The get paid better.

What is your daughters interests in? There are a lot of job choices out there in the military.

JNT0421

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Crown Point
    Air Force is the one to join, IMO. Though Jeremy states they get paid better, they
    do not. All branches of the Armed Forces use the same Pay Table, by rank and time in service. They do get treated better, they do live better. I spent 16 years in the Marine Corps and spent the last 18 months of that time, teaching for the Air Force. it's much closer to civilian life than the others.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    This is coming from a Career Soldier in the Army.
    Tell your daughter Air Force.
    They live better.
    The get treated better.
    The get paid better.

What is your daughters interests in? There are a lot of job choices out there in the military.

Jakal is former Army man too... and that's exactly what he told her. :D Thank you by the way for serving.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Air Force is the one to join, IMO. Though Jeremy states they get paid better, they
    do not. All branches of the Armed Forces use the same Pay Table, by rank and time in service. They do get treated better, they do live better. I spent 16 years in the Marine Corps and spent the last 18 months of that time, teaching for the Air Force. it's much closer to civilian life than the others.

Interesting. Thanks.

Right now she's just considering it. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do/say to convince her 100%? I really think this would be good for her, but I don't want to push too hard and scare her off. You know how kids are... they have to think it's THEIR decision.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Same pay table. Some allowances are just paid out under different qualifiers. TDY pay, Perdium, SSHA, etc. ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Interesting. Thanks.

Right now she's just considering it. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do/say to convince her 100%? I really think this would be good for her, but I don't want to push too hard and scare her off. You know how kids are... they have to think it's THEIR decision.

The military is not for everyone, but it does go easier for those that choose to join. The our several websites out there I will try to track down.

Just garner the facts. Let HER make the informed choice.

On a side note every time I came home on my leaves I would sit on my little brother and smack him until he said he would not join the Army, but the Air Force. Last year he done a 10 month joint tour with an Army unit and thanked me for not letting him join the Army...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The military was very good to me. It delivered everything it promised, but that's largely because even at 17 I was smart enough to heed the advice (just about the only advice I was smart enough to listen to) not to let them promise me much!!! READ THE CONTRACT!!! Read how long the term of enlistment actually is for Remember the folks who were suddenly not allowed out? They signed their name to that.

Tell her to pick her job, don't let the recruiter talk her into going open general. Use the recruiter to find out what jobs are available, find out what they are, and get a "guaranteed" job. Remember the read the contract part? "Guaranteed" really isn't, they still get to change it if they want or need to, but I don't know many folks that happened to. Actually I can't remember any off the top of my head, but it has been a while.

Tell her the benefits can indeed be very good. The training is topnotch, the opportunity for responsibility and authority can be unequaled in the civilian world for an 18 year old with a high school education (the Air Force is particularly good in this regard for enlisted folks), the opportunities for college are very real. You really can "see the world," and experience things that most folks can only dream of.

Perhaps the biggest perk is the people. For whatever reason, the caliber of people you will deal with simply aren't matched in the civilian world. They are just kids. When I got out at 28, I was an "old man." But, they are mission driven, on the ball, high quality people for the most part. They are only people, and they are only kids, so there are mistakes made, but she'll never work and live with better people in all her life. I've been out for almost 14 years, and still miss the people and the life.

There is a drawback, though. She CAN be sent to war, be captured, be raped, and/or be killed. She may have to kill someone personally. If she doesn't, she'll be helping to do so. She may load a bomb that kills kids, and have to do it again the next day. The military is about force, power, and killing, and she cannot go into the committment blind to that. It's not a welfare ride to see the world and go to college, those are simply the fringe benefits to a job that is hard, sometimes lonely, sometimes fatal.

If she joins, though, no matter what else she does for the rest of her life, she'll have mattered. She'll have counted. She'll have helped make history of one sort or another. I loved the military and I love that I went to war and played a tiny part in helping free Kuwait. In that, I did a good thing. I saw the evil the Iraqis did in Kuwait, and I helped stop that. I helped destroy Communism, an evil that enslaved and killed. A microscopic part, you'll never read about me or my friends in history books, but when the Berlin Wall came down, I helped that happen. If she joins, she'll face different enemies and challenges, but she'll count.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    DITTO : AIR FORCE , if she wants to join another service slap some sense into her !!!!

They get better living and working conditions and shorter basic training , FTA !!!!!

U.S.ARMY back wards = Yes My Retarded A$$ Signed Up

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Coming from an two term Air Force vet, the Air Force might be better. After all of that, my daughter joined the Marines. She never took my advice. :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One thing I have noticed in my time in the service is that in the Army and the Corps is that you just don't see a lot of people who smile...

Every time you get on an Air Force base everyone seems happy...

Seriously the Corps and the Army take a special kind of person to deal with the suck.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    My son is in the air force. He really seems to enjoy it. He is married, he and his wife are stationed in England (by their choice). He has recently been deployed to Qatar for 4 months. Their quality of life in the air force is more stable than most non-military families have these days. He is a maintainer for the C130 Herclues and the KC135 Stratotankers. He works 8 hour shifts sometimes 12 hour shifts. He has several co workers that are female. It won't cost her anything to speak with a recruiter. Basic traning takes place at Lackland AFB "The gateway to the Air Force" which is located in San Antonio TX.:patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    One thing I have noticed in my time in the service is that in the Army and the Corps is that you just don't see a lot of people who smile...

Every time you get on an Air Force base everyone seems happy...

Seriously the Corps and the Army take a special kind of person to deal with the suck.

It's not hard to figure out why. When the Army and Marines deploy to the desert, they live in tents.

When the Air Force deploys to the desert, they live in tents, too (if there is no hotel around). But the tents are air conditioned :D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    It's not hard to figure out why. When the Army and Marines deploy to the desert, they live in tents.

When the Air Force deploys to the desert, they live in tents, too (if there is no hotel around). But the tents are air conditioned :D

EXACTLY what I was gonna say . The fly boys go back to AC , when we would go to GP mediums !!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In the army you sleep in a tent,
    In the navy you sleep in a bunk,
    In the air force you sleep in a bed,
    Marines don't sleep.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Im in the Airforce ROTC program and am heading off to field training in 10 days. Overall the Airforce is a much better branch to join if you desire quality of life.

Go Airforce if you like quality of life, and be able to get a good job when you get out.
    Go Army if you want boots on the ground action.
    Go Marines if you just like pain (and are crazy).
    GO Navy if you like spending your time in the middle of the ocean on a ship full of guys.

Ive seen way to many friend go Army, out of highschool and end up working Law enforcement, construction, or landscaping. Which is all fine if you like that work (and it does pay halfway decent). But at the same time I know a lot of Airforce guys who got really good jobs once they got out with no problem. The Airforce tends to attract the higher SAT scoreing individuals, and I think private companies are seeing that.

Nothing against other branches but the Airforce has a much higher quality of life, and if that is something you desire, go for it. :yesway:

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven

My daughter is in the army and just spent 15 months in Iraq. She had a air conditioned room (not tent) the whole time she was there.

Top Bottom