• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I spend 12 years in the Air Force before getting out to go to work for Lockheed. Like most have already said. Better living, great training, good opportunities and mostly outstanding people that will become good friends.

They have about every job that you can get in the civilian market as well. So you can get great training and good experience in a job that can be transfered to the civilian market if you decide not to make it a career. Also easier to change careers in the Air Force if you decide too later in your career.

Let her read all the comments on here. Might be the best way to let her make her own decision.

P Starr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I come from a long & proud Army tradition. :patriot:

However, of all of the females I've know in all of the branches of the military, I'd say that the Air Force is the way to go. They have great assignments and are less sexist (LESS, not totally UN sexist). Especially for the prettier girls (which is the group she of course falls into).

I wish her the best with her decision. May she be proud no matter what she chooses.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Is your daughter a "heady" type person?

Not at all a disparagement on the Army or Marines, but it seems to ME (as someone wholly separated from the armed services way of life) that the Air Force and Navy have more "heady" type jobs than Army or Marines.

If I were counseling my kid as you are yours, I'd try to steer towards the Air Force first, Coast Guard 2nd, Navy 3rd, Marines 4th, Army 5th.

Don't forget about the Coast Guard!

-J-

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The military was very good to me. It delivered everything it promised, but that's largely because even at 17 I was smart enough to heed the advice (just about the only advice I was smart enough to listen to) not to let them promise me much!!! READ THE CONTRACT!!! Read how long the term of enlistment actually is for Remember the folks who were suddenly not allowed out? They signed their name to that.

Tell her to pick her job, don't let the recruiter talk her into going open general. Use the recruiter to find out what jobs are available, find out what they are, and get a "guaranteed" job. Remember the read the contract part? "Guaranteed" really isn't, they still get to change it if they want or need to, but I don't know many folks that happened to. Actually I can't remember any off the top of my head, but it has been a while.

Tell her the benefits can indeed be very good. The training is topnotch, the opportunity for responsibility and authority can be unequaled in the civilian world for an 18 year old with a high school education (the Air Force is particularly good in this regard for enlisted folks), the opportunities for college are very real. You really can "see the world," and experience things that most folks can only dream of.

Perhaps the biggest perk is the people. For whatever reason, the caliber of people you will deal with simply aren't matched in the civilian world. They are just kids. When I got out at 28, I was an "old man." But, they are mission driven, on the ball, high quality people for the most part. They are only people, and they are only kids, so there are mistakes made, but she'll never work and live with better people in all her life. I've been out for almost 14 years, and still miss the people and the life.

There is a drawback, though. She CAN be sent to war, be captured, be raped, and/or be killed. She may have to kill someone personally. If she doesn't, she'll be helping to do so. She may load a bomb that kills kids, and have to do it again the next day. The military is about force, power, and killing, and she cannot go into the committment blind to that. It's not a welfare ride to see the world and go to college, those are simply the fringe benefits to a job that is hard, sometimes lonely, sometimes fatal.

If she joins, though, no matter what else she does for the rest of her life, she'll have mattered. She'll have counted. She'll have helped make history of one sort or another. I loved the military and I love that I went to war and played a tiny part in helping free Kuwait. In that, I did a good thing. I saw the evil the Iraqis did in Kuwait, and I helped stop that. I helped destroy Communism, an evil that enslaved and killed. A microscopic part, you'll never read about me or my friends in history books, but when the Berlin Wall came down, I helped that happen. If she joins, she'll face different enemies and challenges, but she'll count.

This... i have not read all the other posts.. their are so many, but i as well reccomend the airforce or the navy.... and try to get a job that will equate to something at home as well for when she gets out... ie nursing computer programing military police ecetera....

i as well have done my small part to end genocide prevent the social colapse of new orleans and free the iraqi people... i have done my part and my accomplishments will stick with me for the rest of my life... but so will the baggage that i carry around everyday because of my service... this baggage cannot be seen by even the closest people to me but its there and its very real... and sometimes is hard to deal with.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Im glad i joined at 17 right out of high school because i was headed down the wrong road being a indy punk wannabe. Now im almost 30 with 13 years of service as a Infantryman with not much of a job opportunity when i get out.

I'd tell her to go the Air Force just like everyone else for the same reasons. They always have better food. We always got into there chow hall, some way, to eat.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I guess all of you Army guys recommending the Air Force don't realize the promotions in the USAF are SLOW....

The Army is the biggest and most rounded of all the branches. They have every kind of job imaginable. My cousin is a MAJ in Afghanistan and flies Blackhawks, I'm pretty sure he's not in a tent. His wife just made MAJ, she's an Army Veterinarian, she's been to both Afghanistan and Iraq, wasn't sleeping in a tent...

As her what job she wants to do, she most likely won't be sleeping in a tent...

Fuggin Army guys recommending Air Force... have some pride people! There are plenty of jobs the Army has that prep you for civilian work.

I finished my career in the Signal Corps and went to work for Lilly as a systems analyst ten years ago... and that was without a degree. My wife works for St Francis after being an Army Medic for 8 years.

Seems to me they are just calling the Air Force "girly", so that's where she should go...

The Army also has the Army Reserve and National Guard, if she wants to pursue her military career after any active duty she serves, much larger that then Air Guard, so more options.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Im glad i joined at 17 right out of high school because i was headed down the wrong road being a indy punk wannabe. Now im almost 30 with 13 years of service as a Infantryman with not much of a job opportunity when i get out.

You are right, all those years in the Infantry won't prep you for a civilian job.

So I'll ask, how many college courses have you taken in those 13 years? All those free services while you are in, are you taking advantage of them? The education centers are there, what are you doing to improve yourself?

What other MOS's have you looked in to? It might be cool to retire as an Infantryman, but it's really not practical. You've earned your badges, get the Army to train you in something useful from now until you retire :D

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Thanks guys for all your input. I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately, her boyfriend will be her biggest influence and I don't think he'll be thrilled about her joining. I hope to God she doesn't base a life decision on his selfishness. We'll see. She really is giving it some serious consideration. Keep your fingers crossed!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Ive seen way to many friend go Army, out of highschool and end up working Law enforcement, construction, or landscaping. Which is all fine if you like that work (and it does pay halfway decent). But at the same time I know a lot of Airforce guys who got really good jobs once they got out with no problem. The Airforce tends to attract the higher SAT scoreing individuals, and I think private companies are seeing that.

That is laziness on their own part, not taking advantage of the education centers at every Army base. I know many guys who completed at least an Associates degree and some a Bachelors before they ever got out to use their GI Bill.

The Army just doesn't equal infantry. I guess I was lucky enough to have a father who served in the Army as well an advised me to take advantage of ALL the perks available, not just the GI bill when I got out...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Thanks guys for all your input. I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately, her boyfriend will be her biggest influence and I don't think he'll be thrilled about her joining. I hope to God she doesn't base a life decision on his selfishness. We'll see. She really is giving it some serious consideration. Keep your fingers crossed!

Heh, he's just worried that once she gets a taste of life in the real world, she won't have any use for him.

Has she thought about the National Guard or Air Guard to "test the waters"? You can always put in to go Active Duty if you like it. That's how I got started.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Heh, he's just worried that once she gets a taste of life in the real world, she won't have any use for him.

Has she thought about the National Guard or Air Guard to "test the waters"? You can always put in to go Active Duty if you like it. That's how I got started.

I agree 100% with you about the boyfriend. He's a bit of a loser if you ask me. But we won't get into that... I'm in a good mood right now and would like to stay that way. :):

She hasn't checked into the National Guard or Air Guard. I'll mention it to her and do some research. This is a new idea for her so she's still letting it sink in at this point.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    You are right, all those years in the Infantry won't prep you for a civilian job.

So I'll ask, how many college courses have you taken in those 13 years? All those free services while you are in, are you taking advantage of them? The education centers are there, what are you doing to improve yourself?

What other MOS's have you looked in to? It might be cool to retire as an Infantryman, but it's really not practical. You've earned your badges, get the Army to train you in something useful from now until you retire :D

Being in the infantry doesnt alot much time to pursue college degree's. Sure you can take online classes when you have a little down time, but how is that real college?

Honestly Infantry is the only thing i see myself doing, which is my choice and i can deal with that. When you get finished with a certain mission theres a true pride in what you've accomplished.

I'll be fine when i retire, plan to collect my check and work at a golf course part time.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Being in the infantry doesnt alot much time to pursue college degree's. Sure you can take online classes when you have a little down time, but how is that real college?

Honestly Infantry is the only thing i see myself doing, which is my choice and i can deal with that. When you get finished with a certain mission theres a true pride in what you've accomplished.

I'll be fine when i retire, plan to collect my check and work at a golf course part time.

:+1:

I hear ya there. When I was in there was not enough time in the day to attend school. If you were really lucky and your 1st sgt and CO liked ya you might get permission to attend some on base class taught by the local community college. Most of the time that was not the case, you were there to do your job.

If I went back in the Army it would back to the Infantry, ok maybe Cav Scout but that would be it.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I will say that as a young person who was thinking about joining my parents were not supportive at all, my dad was even in the Navy. Since I didn't have that support the idea of joining pretty much faded out.

I think parents should be 100% supportive. I'm sure it's not an easy choice but you should be proud that your daughter is willing to put her life on the line for all the people who live in the great US of A. It's pretty much the most unselfish act an american can do.

Just my :twocents:

66MustangCvt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    South-East Indy
    If you do go Army, go Intel. They say it's not really the Army...and they are right. Also, when you get out you'll have a clearance which is a guaranteed job (usually higher paying) for most.

:twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Dude, I understand that completely but let me share a little with you. My cousin (yeah, there are a LOT of us in the Army :D ) was an 11 series, I forget which one (TOW gunner) and he was always taking some class on downtime or studying for some CLEP test or another while he was deployed. During on of his re-enlistments, he went into EOD and did that for four years.

By the time he got out, he had a bachelors in business and a yearning to run his own business (Munitions Management Group - Clearing The Way For Progress), which he now does. He's a gov't contractor who cleans ordnance from old ranges... talk about getting paid...

And I hear you about the Infantry thing. I'm wanting to go back in the Guard... at 41 no less, because I have a desire to also earn that blue cord.

It might be a pipe dream, I may not be able to get the weight off, having already dropped from 284 to 237 but I am determined to keep pushing and give it a shot. Who know's, maybe if I'm not physically able to qualify for 11B, I can become a Signal Warrant.

I always have had a lot of respect for guys like you :patriot:

My 17 year old can't hardly wait to enlist, he's got his eyes on the green beanie.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think parents should be 100% supportive. I'm sure it's not an easy choice but you should be proud that your daughter is willing to put her life on the line for all the people who live in the great US of A. It's pretty much the most unselfish act an american can do.

Just my :twocents:

I think the VAST majority of parents who were not supportive at first, changed their tune after that first enlistment.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If I went back in the Army it would back to the Infantry, ok maybe Cav Scout but that would be it.

I was all about the CAV Scout myself, having served in an ACR, but then my cousin pointed out...

why go for:

Combat%20Action%201st%20Award%20Ox.jpg

when you can go for:

Combat%20Infantry%201st%20Award.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I agree 100% with you about the boyfriend. He's a bit of a loser if you ask me. But we won't get into that... I'm in a good mood right now and would like to stay that way. :):

She hasn't checked into the National Guard or Air Guard. I'll mention it to her and do some research. This is a new idea for her so she's still letting it sink in at this point.

Does she have any thoughts as to what she'd like to do/learn/gain ? I know I sound like a recruiter, but I have these same conversations with half my son's football team :)

Top Bottom