• Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Davis o/u (Derringer style)
    Two problems
    1. Lower barrel fires, upper barrel does not.
    Upper firing pin puts hell of a dent in the rim, but doesn't fire!?
    2. I took the retainer and pin out, to investigate, retainer came out fine, but when I tried to put it back together, looks like threads in frame that retainer screws in to are very slightly boogered up, retainer won't screw in ( I don't want to force it and make it worse).

Is there a kind of tap that will fit in there to clean the threads up? Threaded area is only about 3/16" deep, so it would take some kind of a "flat headed " tap to fit .

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    1. Are the firing pins the same size and type?
    Can you swap them and test after you get it back together?

2. Don't know about that one.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A re-threader of the appropriate size should clean up the threads. I carry them on my tool truck. I am sure NAPA carrys them too. It is just a couple of bucks.

Your problem is not uncommon with the davis derringer. I have one in 22 LR and it still works. If it ever stops working, it will get pitched into the nearest lake.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    A re-threader of the appropriate size should clean up the threads. I carry them on my tool truck. I am sure NAPA carrys them too. It is just a couple of bucks.

Your problem is not uncommon with the davis derringer. I have one in 22 LR and it still works. If it ever stops working, it will get pitched into the nearest lake.

Can't be like a regular tap though, has to be only as long as the hole is deep!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Bottoming tap, it's called. Bear in mind a tap will only remove material, so depending what you mean by "boogered" it could get loose. It's probably pretty small, too, right? But yeah, you didn't have to go much past "Davis" in your description ;) it's one of the Raven/Jennings/Lorcin/Jimenez/etc/etc group.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Bottoming tap, it's called. Bear in mind a tap will only remove material, so depending what you mean by "boogered" it could get loose. It's probably pretty small, too, right? But yeah, you didn't have to go much past "Davis" in your description ;) it's one of the Raven/Jennings/Lorcin/Jimenez/etc/etc group.

I understand it's not a top quality firearm guys, just trying to get to operate properly!
    Thanks for the name.... bottoming tap, that's what I'll look for.
    Next problem is figuring out why the top won't fire.... Puts a good dent in the rim, and the same cartridge will fire when loaded in the bottom barrel. What else could be going on here?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    With all due respect, a bottoming tap is overkill for what you need to do.

I am a tool man. I make my living selling tools. A cheap re-threader is all that is needed. When you pay your 1.49 for one, you will see that I am right.

Good luck anyway.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    How many rounds did you try to fire? The reason i ask is i had a few rounds that wouldn't fire on the first try, but did on the second try in the same gun. If it's denting the case real good, i would say it might be the ammo.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How many rounds did you try to fire? The reason i ask is i had a few rounds that wouldn't fire on the first try, but did on the second try in the same gun. If it's denting the case real good, i would say it might be the ammo.

You are right. But also, it might be time to throw it into the nearest lake.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Next problem is figuring out why the top won't fire.... Puts a good dent in the rim, and the same cartridge will fire when loaded in the bottom barrel. What else could be going on here?

As I said earlier, the round will fire when loaded in the lower barrel. I tried firing the same round 2 or 3 times in the upper, then move to the lower, and it fires!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a DM22 also and my pins do not extend the same either, but mine still fires both barrels. It has less than 50 rounds through it.

Top 1/8 inch
    dscn4376o.jpg

Bottom 1/16 inch
    dscn4375j.jpg

Top Bottom