• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I suspect they are actually referring to the end of Nautical Twilight, which is generally ~ 45 minutes after actual sunset. So late June will get you nautical twilight ending ~ 2200-2230 in central to western Indiana ( as long as yoou are in the Eastern TZ.
    I think when they say "the sun doesn't set until 10:30" they are referring to a fictional sunset.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think when they say "the sun doesn't set until 10:30" they are referring to a fictional sunset.
    Or, they are referring to the degree of perceived light/darkness in the sky, which is much more relevant than the technical position of the sun in the sky that determines "sunset" time.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Could be - but I don't find "the sun doesn't set" to be all that confusing.
    That's why I refer to "still light outside at..." rather than "sun doesn't set until..."

When the sun sets is largely irrelevant, if the issue is degree of light in the sky at night.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The first part of the video reminded me more of when PART OF Indiana did not follow DST and people from other areas had no idea we were not the same differential all the time. The rest reminded me of the angst of some posters here. LOL
    FIFY the central time zone portion changed, the eastern did not. Made it fun to travel to meetings in Indy when half the year I had to leave an hour earlier.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Steady, INGO. I know this seems frightening for a few of our folks :nailbite:

but it will be OK.

images

Deep breaths.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We should be on central time, but first things first! :D
    And why should we be on central time? Super early sunrises in summer and early sunsets. We are on the edge of a time zone. We have no perfect options but central would be the worst for most working folks.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A question, does your employer require you to start so early or do you choose to?
    I choose to. In fact, I "fudge" my time sheets. They would have to pay me a night premium if I start before 6 a.m., so I start at 5, work until 3 with an hour lunch, but when I fill out my time sheet, I show that I start at 6 and work until 4. They're okay with that. I'm in kind of a unique situation, in that I work a flex schedule. I work 9 days per two week pay period (every other Friday off, covered by "credit hours" from working 9 hour work days). Our core hours (when we have to be "at work") are 9-3 so by doing it the way I do, I fit that criteria.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I choose to. In fact, I "fudge" my time sheets. They would have to pay me a night premium if I start before 6 a.m., so I start at 5, work until 3 with an hour lunch, but when I fill out my time sheet, I show that I start at 6 and work until 4. They're okay with that. I'm in kind of a unique situation, in that I work a flex schedule. I work 9 days per two week pay period (every other Friday off, covered by "credit hours" from working 9 hour work days). Our core hours (when we have to be "at work") are 9-3 so by doing it the way I do, I fit that criteria.
    So you refuse to be a part of normal society. I always knew you were abnormal…. LOL

No wonder you miss all the evening football games...

Top Bottom