• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So you refuse to be a part of normal society. I always knew you were abnormal…. LOL

No wonder you miss all the evening football games...
    But honestly, I start work around 4:30. Sometimes I work over, "off the clock". Even on my days off I check email (while making myself "look" offline, and also "off the clock"), and I'm a government employee. You're welcome. :):

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    And why should we be on central time? Super early sunrises in summer and early sunsets. We are on the edge of a time zone. We have no perfect options but central would be the worst for most working folks.
    For you , apparently, anyway. Perhaps not for people who work on an earlier schedule than you do.

For example, even pre-retirement, I used to get up early. I enjoyed the early morning sun for both personal time and commuting early to work. I could leave work earlier than some and still had plenty or daylight at he end of the day.Having it light well past 9pm was a complete waste as far as I was concerned.

DST is really a shell game. A big nothing burger. No condiments will make it into prime rib. But many people gullibly accept the mantra.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For you , apparently, anyway. Perhaps not for people who work on an earlier schedule than you do.

For example, even pre-retirement, I used to get up early. I enjoyed the early morning sun for both personal time and commuting early to work. I could leave work earlier than some and still had plenty or daylight at he end of the day.Having it light well past 9pm was a complete waste as far as I was concerned.

DST is really a shell game. A big nothing burger. No condiments will make it into prime rib. But many people gullibly accept the mantra.
    In our current situation we have 6:15 sunrise and 9:15 sunset on the longest days and that is too late for sunrise? Sunset?

More important at the equinox it is 7:30 sunrise and 7:47 sunset. Very reasonable.

Those against DST always talk about light after 9pm but that literally is just a few days a summer…

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No matter what the clock says, every minute of your life is already determined the day you were born, You cannot add to it, only subtract. Sometimes you subtract by being stupid or careless, sometimes other people subtract from you, often just living in an evil, corrupt world subtracts. Jerking the clock back and forth does not change a thing in the big picture.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No matter what the clock says, every minute of your life is already determined the day you were born, You cannot add to it, only subtract. Sometimes you subtract by being stupid or careless, sometimes other people subtract from you, often just living in an evil, corrupt world subtracts. Jerking the clock back and forth does not change a thing in the big picture.
    Yes it changes the time with daylight after a normal workday. (I defined abnormal as doggydaddy starting work at 4:30am. LOL)

If one has no relationship to other people and businesses then what is time to a pig?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    In our current situation we have 6:15 sunrise and 9:15 sunset on the longest days and that is too late for sunrise? Sunset?

More important at the equinox it is 7:30 sunrise and 7:47 sunset. Very reasonable.

Those against DST always talk about light after 9pm but that literally is just a few days a summer…
    Some of us also talk about the extra morning darkness. At DST change, sunrise is at 8:00AM. Prior to DST change, sunrise was at 7:00AM. Thanks to DST, we will not see a 7:00AM sunrise again until around 20 April. We then see a post-7:00AM sunrise around 20 August. Without DST, that wouldn't happen until about 20 October.

For the vast majority of the world, the time between 7:00 and 8:00 AM is a perfectly normal time to be up, productive, and outside. DST thus costs the vast majority of the world* a productive hour of morning daylight, for 3 - 4 months out of the year.

* (Of course, as applicable/impacted by latitude and longitude)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For the vast majority of the world, the time between 7:00 and 8:00 AM is a perfectly normal time to be up, productive, and outside. DST thus costs the vast majority of the world* a productive hour of morning daylight, for 3 - 4 months out of the year.
    It likely would be no different than it is, people getting ready for work or school. Not outdoors actually using the daylight. At the end of the day in our current time, DST is as much about recreation for most folks. However it does have an impact on some for work as well.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It likely would be no different than it is, people getting ready for work or school. Not outdoors actually using the daylight. At the end of the day in our current time, DST is as much about recreation for most folks. However it does have an impact on some for work as well.
    Many people are outdoors in the early morning: morning workouts, walking the dog, work/school commutes, etc.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Im more of a 0430-0530 sunrise kind of person. Great time to take the dogs out for a walk and enjoy the sunrise over the lake in peace and quiet.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Those for DST always talk about early sunrises, but that is literally the same number of days as the light after 9pm in your example

It comes down to what any individual prefers, and the number of people who prefer excess light at the end of the day over more light early is apparently about the same number of people as those who prefer to live in an HOA
    :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nah.

This actually backs up what I have been telling you guys for several years. 44% of those that want to do away with changing clocks, want later sunsets compared to just 13% that want earlier sunrises, that does not include those happy with the current situation. So a majority want the later in the summer. Most of the other polls referenced similar.

Top Bottom