• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    The 1911 has its perks for modern carry.

If you put slim grips on it, it can rival a lot of modern ultra compacts in width. That's why I carried one for a lot of years until I stopped worrying about printing.

With a GI guide rod and polymer mainspring housing, that weight can get silly low. At that weight with slim grips, anything +P gets to be a bit rough on the web of the hand, though.
    The 1911 is pretty slim.
    They just fit your hand too.
    I have yet to add one to the collection, but my Yugo m57 is a close copy.
    I like it a lot.
    Mr. Browning must have known what he was doing if people are carrying his gun over 100 years after it's creation.
    If I could get a light weight one, I might consider carrying one.
    Maybe a Springfield EMP in 9mm.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    People who say, "if you can't hit something with 3 or 4 rounds, then you don't need to have a gun at all" are considered Fudds in my book.

I can hit it with one round, but I'd rather hit it with 30! :ar15:
    I see the 45 ACP 1911 and revolver crowd as extreme enthusiasts or traditionalists.
    I call them "friends", not Fudds. :cool:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me Fudd was always more of a political term given to the "you don't need that" group. Boomer really just has to do with how old you are. I enjoy shooting older guns, but at my "boomer " age and eyesight I use a Glock 40 MOS around the woods. Powerful 10mm with a hi cap magazine and an electric sight, it's just more practical.:)

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I also don't define fudd by interests in personal firearms but rather the attitude towards broader 2A things. I know that fudd is a dirty four-letter word around here, but I think fudds are also the closest allies we've got. I know several people who have no interests in ARs, AKs, etc, but believe that Americans should have the right to own, practice with, and use them. I would call those people non-fudds. Fudds are the 2A analog of people who are always proposing increasing taxes on "those other folks."

Enjoy what you enjoy, don't let folks shame you for it, and don't shame others for what guns they like ... I mean, unless it's a hi-point. To quote CM (hopefully he won't mind): If you like them, then run-em.
    Can't say it any better.

Fudd is more about thinking nobody should own anything that doesn't have a walnut stock and a bolt/pump.

You being in to a certain type of gun is just you being you.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To me, a "Fudd" is more of an attitude than just the type of firearms somebody likes.

For example, a friend I've known since I was a kid is a perfect example.

He's always been into hunting and only owns rifles and shotguns that are of the "traditional" nice wood stock and engravings, etc, type.
    There's NOTHING WRONG with that.

What makes him a "Fudd" is he thinks what he owns for hunting is ALL anybody ought to be allowed to have.

From the time I got my carry permit back in 1984 he's been on my case about carrying a pistol, and it just got worse when I got my first AR15 in 1988 or so.
    And by the time I got a C&R FFL and began collecting military surplus weapons, he about lost his mind! :lmfao:
    And the subject would come up every time I ever saw him.

A FUNNY story about this guy.
    Another friend bought a Parkerized Mossburg 590 with heat shield and bayonet lug because he liked mine.

My friend with the 590 made a magazine limiter to make it only hold 3 shots so he could hunt pheasants with it.
    (he mostly did it to freak out the "Fudd" friend of ours LOL)

The local gun shop was selling surplus M-16 Bayonets, so I bought my friend with the 590 one.

They both went pheasant hunting with a group of some other friends.

My friend with the 590 put the M-16 bayonet on his 590, and my "Fudd" friend saw it just about LOST HIS MIND! :lmfao:

He went on a rant "YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO OWN A GUN LIKE THAT!!" and on and on.

The whole group my "Fudd" friend was with all laughed their *sses off at him.

My "Fudd" friend has lightened up in recent years though.
    He actually asked me for a recomendation on which pistol he should buy for carrying,

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The FN one has a major hitch. It doesn't share parts commonality with a normal hi-power.

That's kind of a deal breaker, IMO.
    Why is that a deal breaker? It's a newly redesigned gun I wouldn't expect much part commonality, do you have drawers of old HP parts sitting around? Of all the old HP's i've owned throughout the years i've never had one break anyway, this new gun likely won't be any different.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you can hit well with it, shouldnt matter what it is youre shooting.

IMNSHO

Seen many a new wave type of shooter and all tbey do is make noise. Am on other forums and the lack of skill, esp w handguns, is amazing.

What people consider good, many of experience.... Yeeesh.

A lot of Fudds and Boomers cant shoot worth a darn. But some of us do OK

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As far as Im conscerned, people can call me whatever the heck they want.
    Learned most people are stupid, insecure and dishonest.

Who cares what they think?

When it comes to guns....let your scores do the talking.

Of course, when you outshoot the critics its because youre a gun snob and spent more money that they did.

LMAO

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    If you can hit well with it, shouldn't matter what it is you're shooting.

Who cares what they think? When it comes to guns....let your scores do the talking.

Yeah that is kind of the way I see it too. Or to put it in another way pistol marksmanship is a dying art and anyone that shoots well is doing good in these times regardless of what they choose to shoot. I started handgun shooting over 30 years ago at a range near the Marine Corps base Camp Lejune. A lot of those Marine shooters were quite good at 25 yards or 50 even with FUDD guns!

But I have seen a few younger guys in the past few years that did impress with with their shooting skills. One guy was firing a service type pistol at 25 yards on an actual 25 yard slow fire target and was shooting very accurately and he wasn't taking his time either. Another showed up with a Smith 500 Magnum and I thought this would be a treat. The "kid" actually shot it quite well at 25 yards and was not shooting powder puff loads.

Some say for 3 -7 yard "combat" shooting fast is most important. There is shooting fast and there is shooting fast accurately. Nothing impressive about shooting fast and missing the target with half your shots.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I will say though out of all the striker pistols I’ve shot the Walthers were some of the best!!! I’m still contemplating if I want to just go ahead and keep them. Especially the Q4. I have a place in my back…. Causes slight tremors at times which is one reason I prefer a heavier handgun.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One thing that does burn my backside, having great eyes for many yrs and now dont.

I have to work to shoot decent.

Before it was easy to shoot very well.

Thank goodness for reflex sights.
    Makes the decline less painful
    I hear you about decline.
    Since my thyroid failed me back in 2001, my hands became a bit unsteady, and being able to shooting accurately offhand has suffered, especially pistols.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah that is kind of the way I see it too. Or to put it in another way pistol marksmanship is a dying art and anyone that shoots well is doing good in these times regardless of what they choose to shoot. I started handgun shooting over 30 years ago at a range near the Marine Corps base Camp Lejune. A lot of those Marine shooters were quite good at 25 yards or 50 even with FUDD guns!

But I have seen a few younger guys in the past few years that did impress with with their shooting skills. One guy was firing a service type pistol at 25 yards on an actual 25 yard slow fire target and was shooting very accurately and he wasn't taking his time either. Another showed up with a Smith 500 Magnum and I thought this would be a treat. The "kid" actually shot it quite well at 25 yards and was not shooting powder puff loads.

Some say for 3 -7 yard "combat" shooting fast is most important. There is shooting fast and there is shooting fast accurately. Nothing impressive about shooting fast and missing the target with half your shots.
    Why I love my P365. Fast and nails em.
    Always liked full grip big heavy boomers and this little thing works great for me in spite of it being the opposite. My main arm is kinda screwed up w shoulder issues that go to elbow and even back hand.

Yet the P365 runs like a champ and puts em on target, slow or as fast as I can go.

Does have a noticeable jolt, but my screwed up arm maybe makes for that.

I dunno.

Sold my 1911 bought new 30 yrs ago.
    Am running plastic 9mm in full.and compact. They work.

But now i dont have a single action steel range toy. Hmmmm, maybe a SA35......

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    1911s and wheel guns (and steel frame CZs) are PRECISELY where I'm at. Can I get the "Fudd" user title?

Same same on long guns - got an AR that's way more accurate than I am, does nothing for me. Hand me a Garand or an FAL, and I'm grinning ear to ear.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    "Fudd" has nothing to do with someone who likes older guns, and neither does "Boomer," which is just an age group.

"Luddites" might be a more appropriate moniker.

I appreciate walnut and steel, but my working guns are polymer and striker fired.

Top Bottom