Decent red dot for a decent price recommendation for ar15...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Looking for recommendations for a decent quality red dot for a decent price....acogs are nice but too much for me at this time.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I had a primary arms red dot, and it failed me during a 2 day rifle class. I would go for a vortex or bushnell at least, and an aim point if money allows.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Aimpoint pro looks nice, I'd have to get the blessing from the wife for that...the strikefire one isn't too bad on the budget, but I've read the unit turns itself on in the case without you knowing about it...

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've tested many RDS's fairly extensively. Here's a list of sights that work well for their price point in no particular order.

1) Hi-Lux B-Dot
    2) Vortex SPARC
    3) TRS-25
    4) Trijicon MRO (there is a caveat)
    5) Aimpoint Pro
    6) Meprolight Tru-Dot

Some are more expensive than others, but those listed are $399 or less.

The MRO is a good sight that if used properly and is a decent value. The biggest issue I've seen is that people crush the battery posts by installing the battery incorrectly. Some complain of a blue tint (most every RDS has some tint), .5x magnification (mostly irrelevant if you use both eyes open like you should), optical shift (all RDS's including the T1 Micro has this), and it's ugly (yes it is).

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I was recently looking at budget red dots and was settled on the Vortex Sparc AR for what looked like a good product and great warranty but decided to go with low power scope at the last minute.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm another vote for the TRS-25. I will admit that I've not had experience with many other rds, in fact the only big names I've tried are an eotech and an ultra dot. I got the TRS-25 as a christmas present and for the price ($75 on amazon at the time) I couldn't be happier. The battery is still going strong after more than a year and it hasn't lost zero at all on my AR. I've had it off and on my rifle over the past year and it still holds zero. I'm probably going to pick up a vortex in the future, but for now I love the TRS-25.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Looking for recommendations for a decent quality red dot for a decent price....acogs are nice but too much for me at this time.

Aimpoint Pro, ACO, or a used comp M2.

I bought a comp M2 that came back from the sandbox for little of nothing with a tiny mar on the finish on the top and it runs fantastic for me.

I'm another vote for the TRS-25. I will admit that I've not had experience with many other rds, in fact the only big names I've tried are an eotech and an ultra dot. I got the TRS-25 as a christmas present and for the price ($75 on amazon at the time) I couldn't be happier. The battery is still going strong after more than a year and it hasn't lost zero at all on my AR. I've had it off and on my rifle over the past year and it still holds zero. I'm probably going to pick up a vortex in the future, but for now I love the TRS-25.

Buyer beware on the TRS-25, there's 2 versions that are going around and rarely labeled properly especially online.

One has the dot emitter centered at the bottom of the tube and the dot disappears if you move the sight from side to side, as well as blocks your irons if you want a lower 1/3rd co-witness. The other one is perfectly fine, but I'm just sharing a friend's experience with trying to buy one.

If you have the good one, you won't benefit much from going to vortex, the next step up from a GOOD TRS-25 is an aimpoint.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Aimpoint pro looks nice, I'd have to get the blessing from the wife for that...the strikefire one isn't too bad on the budget, but I've read the unit turns itself on in the case without you knowing about it...
    I just ordered my second Lucid HD7. I got my first one from a fellow INGOer. Runs on a single AAA battery, and turns off automatically after 2 hours, which one of the features that prompted me to order the second one. Also has 4 different reticles, and an auto adjust light sensor which automatically adjusts the brightness of your dot for the light conditions you are in. This feature can be overridden if you prefer to set the brightness level yourself. They can be found anywhere from 135 - 140 (used on ebay) to 185 - 249 new from various vendors.

LUCID Red Dot Sights

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I just ordered my second Lucid HD7. I got my first one from a fellow INGOer. Runs on a single AAA battery, and turns off automatically after 2 hours, which one of the features that prompted me to order the second one. Also has 4 different reticles, and an auto adjust light sensor which automatically adjusts the brightness of your dot for the light conditions you are in. This feature can be overridden if you prefer to set the brightness level yourself. They can be found anywhere from 135 - 140 (used on ebay) to 185 - 249 new from various vendors.

LUCID Red Dot Sights

I second that on the Lucid HD7. Ive been running one for a couple years now and for what it is, I couldn't be happier. I have beat it around a bit, got it wet, and it still works and retains zero perfectly. I used the BDC reticle at distance and it is pretty much dead on. For less than 200 bucks it just don't get any prettier than that.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I bought a comp M2 that came back from the sandbox for little of nothing with a tiny mar on the finish on the top and it runs fantastic for me.

The issue with buying anything that was in the sandbox is if you had to send it in for warranty work, run serial number, and found out it's still .gov property. Same with used ACOGs and Eotechs. When buying certain used optics you need to call the company to run the serial number to 1) see if it's legit and 2) make sure it's not in their system as someone else's (gov) property.

Cause if it's the .gov's property, even though you sent it in, they'll keep in. Trijicon used to send a letter stating that a DOD investigation might result from the receiving of stolen property (mostly tracking down people who steal them and sell them on ebay it seems)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom