• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrose361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2011
    Any insight on stepping up to maybe.460 S&W? With the option to use 45 colt or .454 Casull? I don't have an AR so can not use the big caliber uppers.

bertnkristi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Lebanon Indiana
    When you look at a 44 magnum compared to a 12 gauge slug you would not think they would be that effective. After taking a deer with a 44 Magnum I am impressed. I use a lever action Rossi with an octagon 26 inch barrel with open sights and love it

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I used a 454 casul for deer and to be honest it was a complete waste of energy, I hit the vitals, the bullet passed through and blew the opposite leg off (held on by just a very little bit of hide and tendon) and went into the ground. Those guns are fun ( I own a 454 and a 500) but are way to big for deer hunting IMHO.

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    So, I guess to answer the question, there are a lot of options out there, each one is somebody's darling. Pick one.
    Seems to me, one should get something that they want to use, and use it to the point of mastering it. Get some training. Get lots of dry-fire and live practice. Be able to hit targets as effectively as walking.
    The "very best" rifle/ammo combo can produce spectacular misses if the shooter does not do his/her part at least adequately.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pick one?

That sounds pretty darn boring.

IMHO one can do quite well with a variety of items.

If not, then limiting themselves to one probably isn't going to be the big help they think.

Lick Creek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Pick something that excites you and feels good in your hands and go with it. If you like AR's pick one. If you reload you can pick something more rare. If you like older gun take one hunting like it was meant to. I bought a 1969 Marlin 35 Rem and started handloading for it. Shoots little bitty groups and kills deer like the Hammer of Thor. Have fun with whatever you choose.

Top Bottom