Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks to all who attended for coming out for the class. I hope you found it to be valuable. Another thanks for being safe gun handlers.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep. Great class. Another example of "the more you know, the more you realize you don't know." Started the afternoon feeling like a n00b. Ended the day feeling like a better educated n00b.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Thanks again to Coach and BBI for putting on a very interesting class.

Also thanks to the others who showed and let me watch them shoot.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks for the posts guys. If you have other feedback please email/PM either me or BBI. We would like to improve the class and feedback helps that.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Stop dithering. Both is the answer.
    Wait...you were carrying a pair of S&W M&Ps at 4:00 and 8:00! Seriously, is the idea to make drawing the back-up easier and to make it a 2nd primary pistol instead of a "chiefs special" (maybe I just answered my own question)? Having the extractor on my Colt suddenly puke in the middle of the class has lots of 2nd gun ideas rolling around in my head.

As for feedback, I found the robbery video analysis important. I'd have passed on one shooting scenario to have more video showing pre-assault&assault body language.

Again, great class

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Wait...you were carrying a pair of S&W M&Ps at 4:00 and 8:00! Seriously, is the idea to make drawing the back-up easier and to make it a 2nd primary pistol instead of a "chiefs special" (maybe I just answered my own question)? Having the extractor on my Colt suddenly puke in the middle of the class has lots of 2nd gun ideas rolling around in my head.

As for feedback, I found the robbery video analysis important. I'd have passed on one shooting scenario to have more video showing pre-assault&assault body language.

Again, great class
    I strive for 3:00 o clock and 8:00 o'clock. Two guns on the belt is starting to be fashionable.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Having taken this class before, I quickly discovered an issue with the aluminum cased ammo, and use of a safety. As much as I had practiced using the safety before, it just didn't hold up for me. I promptly removed it. As to the ammo, I did a plethora of tests afterwards to discover it was ammo related, and not my gun. Expensive running SD ammo, but worth every penny to be sure.

I also began carrying a BUG ankle holster after this class. Can't ever hurt to have a different draw option.

The video hit home for me. Rang true in another class I took recently (re: indicators)

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I strive for 3:00 o clock and 8:00 o'clock. Two guns on the belt is starting to be fashionable.

I am so wide now... and when I add on a tool belt I couldn't get anywhere any more.

My particular situation makes having a weak side firearm all but useless. I have been carrying a 642 on my left inside ankle. This is more for the un-gunned person, or if my main gun goes down. I can get a contact shot off weak hand, but I couldn't get to it in a timely manner.

Had been talking with a guy after shooting and the subject came up. His suggestion was maybe AIWB at 1100. Either hand could get to it that way.

I have been carrying AIWB and at 0400 simultaneously for a few days. Makes a guy walk in circles. I can see a benefit to this where I can get the fast draw or the concealed draw. Would take a lot more practice and training, as does everything.

Maybe just a snubby in the back pocket will get me by a bit better. But I am lazy and sit a lot as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The number of events were pure draw speed mattered and where a tenth of a second or so mattered is much much much less then disguised draw or seeing trouble coming and already having gun in hand. I won't say zero...but its real close.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I am so wide now... and when I add on a tool belt I couldn't get anywhere any more.

My particular situation makes having a weak side firearm all but useless. I have been carrying a 642 on my left inside ankle. This is more for the un-gunned person, or if my main gun goes down. I can get a contact shot off weak hand, but I couldn't get to it in a timely manner.

Had been talking with a guy after shooting and the subject came up. His suggestion was maybe AIWB at 1100. Either hand could get to it that way.

I have been carrying AIWB and at 0400 simultaneously for a few days. Makes a guy walk in circles. I can see a benefit to this where I can get the fast draw or the concealed draw. Would take a lot more practice and training, as does everything.

Maybe just a snubby in the back pocket will get me by a bit better. But I am lazy and sit a lot as well.
    Carrying while wearing a tool belt is a bit*h and I never did find a solution that I liked. FWIW, here are some of my observations on that:

I tried an ankle holster and found that I had to wear really baggy pants--like painter pants--to be able to get to it with any kind of speed, then a general contractor saw it while I was on a ladder.:noway:

As for pocket carry, IME the tool belt will interfere/slow the draw unless you're carrying in a cargo pocket which is also slow. This draw might be disguisable but would have you uncentered on your feet--another knock on an ankle holster.

I even tried carrying a subcompact on my belt, covered with a shirt, with the idea that I'd remove the tool belt while pretending to get to my wallet ('scuse me mr. robber) or if I saw trouble coming. Kind of a "what are the odds" calculation.

Some kind of "unholster" ("sneaky pete" etc) is another approach but IMO has the worst features of "off body" carry when you go do something where the tool belt is inappropriate

A shoulder holster worked under a coat but that was weather dependent--and if there wasn't indoor work too.

Top Bottom