• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My personal goal is to be able to cut a ragged hole, slow fire at 7 yards (on a good day).. My reasoning is, at that point my pistol is as accurate as it needs to be for any shot I might consider with a pistol.

That's what I mean about good enough for your purposes. I'd also point out you could do that with some of the cheapest pistols on the market. It does not mean the pistol is accurate, compared to other pistols, it simply means it's good enough for your purposes and any additional capability isn't going to provide additional benefit. If you were shooting ISSF, on the other hand, the same would not hold true.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    :rolleyes:
    Yeeaaah, dude.......whutever you say, huh?.........dunno whut'cha do fer a live'n....desk job prolly.....but can tell ya this......I'm better'n 50......an' yer azz'll be suk'n buttermilk try'n ta stay with me in a day.......:):

+1 for using the "azz & buttermilk" line...that is old school right there.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok. I am commenting on this post to point out a few things that always bug me about these debates.

1: The accuracy of a firearm is a mechanical thing and not a subjective thing. Accuracy is a characteristic of the firearm, and some guns are more accurate than other guns. Period. No arguments about "well for me I shoot X better than Y," and so forth when talking about the accuracy of a firearm. Guns have mechanical accuracy (as in locked in a vice), and some are more accurate than others in that condition.

2: Due to differences in hand shape, eyesight, recoil control, trigger weight and feel, some individuals shoot gun X better than gun Y. The ability to shoot gun X better than gun Y does not necessarily mean gun X IS MORE ACCURATE THAN GUN Y. Just that you personally can shoot it better. Notice that phrasing. You can shoot it better.

3: How well you personally can shoot a particular firearm should be the criteria you use about what you buy or carry or compete with or whatever. Ultimately you are working the gun, and you may be able to work a less accurate gun (mechanically speaking) with a greater degree of accuracy than a more accurate gun (mechanically speaking).

4: I think it is a cheap and disingenuous test to determine accuracy at 7 yards. I can measure accuracy at two inches and in my so called testing everything will be equally accurate. But that doesn't actually mean everything I test is equally accurate. IMHO the common accuracy test for rifles is 100yds, and I think the common accuracy test for handguns is 25yds. 50yds if you like to take longer shots :)

Also... I wil rit mre 'abt 'th tstn ifer 'n 'you'n shooterz r a 'want'in' s'more tlk 'bout buttermilk 'n 'shoot'in;ll;ljiojij.

Wow. I need a nap.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I think you pretty much nailed it. :yesway:

^^^ This ^^^

Watching Hickok45, especially, shows me that (as he says, too) that the gun's accuracy isn't the problem, it's the shooter.

I know I can't reach out to 80 yards with a Beretta Nano and ring that steel gong like he can. But knowing he can proves it's (usually) not the gun, but the shooter.

How YOU can handle the gun, that's where accuracy comes in.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Personally, I like to be able to hit a can of soda or a clay pigeon at 25 yds. in 1 shot with my handguns after they're sighted in (with perhaps the exception of a subcompact/pocket gun - not that it's impossible, but generally not the intent with a gun like that)

Not scientific, and not entering into the deeper debate of mechanical accuracy/repreatability, etc.

The OP asked what YOUR standard is for accuracy, and this is mine

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    ^^^ This ^^^

Watching Hickok45, especially, shows me that (as he says, too) that the gun's accuracy isn't the problem, it's the shooter.

I know I can't reach out to 80 yards with a Beretta Nano and ring that steel gong like he can. But knowing he can proves it's (usually) not the gun, but the shooter.

How YOU can handle the gun, that's where accuracy comes in.

:+1: for relevant user avatar :):

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Sometimes I think it comes down to how a certain gun fits a shooter. I had a Walther PPK/s that, for me, was like shooting a laser. When we qualify with our off duty guns sometimes we use the state 48 rd course which goes out to 25 yrds and that Walther was one of the easiest ones I ever qualified with. Not sure what it was about that gun because really it has everything going against it for accuracy, short sight radius, around a 15 pound DA trigger pull, thin grip, but man would that gun shoot. Now that was the only PPK/s I had experience with so not sure they were all like that but for me that one was pretty darn accurate.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Raising a son by myself with one income and darn expensive ammo as really limited my practice. Having said that, I like to be able to get a good group at 7 yards. I do shoot longer distances and closer distances but that is my primary practice distance.
    One day I'd like to do more but for the time being that will have to do.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Seems fitting.

[video=youtube;ke5Mr5eCF2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U[/video]

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Why wound you think the posts in this thread are a mod issue? Why would you use ":mods:" as a threat to make your point?

It definitely wasn't a threat to make a point. I've noticed a crackdown by the mods, as many of us have. Seeing as how things looked as if they were going out of hand, and possibly towards personal attacks, I felt it best to remind them that the mods are watching. Lest another thread get closed or more people get banned.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Accuracy to me is what it is to say the army, take out the human part of the equation and see what the gun can actually do. But to a lot of people they have a totally different view.

I got into it with a guy in another thread who said glocks were inaccurate as he could hit nothing with it but could hit a 3inch circle at 70 yards standing with iron sights with his browning buckmark. At the point i knew it was a totally lost cause. He went on about adjustable sights effecting accuracy, i pointed out you can use them to adjust your hold but they have nothing to do with accuracy of a pistol.

Just because you aren't capable of shooting it doesn't make it inaccurate.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It definitely wasn't a threat to make a point. I've noticed a crackdown by the mods, as many of us have. Seeing as how things looked as if they were going out of hand, and possibly towards personal attacks, I felt it best to remind them that the mods are watching. Lest another thread get closed or more people get banned.

Gotcha. Since you are doing the public service thing and all, did you remind the poster that his posts were illegible also?

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Gotcha. Since you are doing the public service thing and all, did you remind the poster that his posts were illegible also?

Really? Honestly I have no problem with the way he types, I read it just fine. I also see the nitpicking over it as senseless, especially when it happens practically every time he posts in a thread. Lastly, I'm not doing any "public service", I would think it's excusable to try to keep things from getting off topic into personal attacks, many others do this too.

Top Bottom