• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Really? Honestly I have no problem with the way he types, I read it just fine. I also see the nitpicking over it as senseless, especially when it happens practically every time he posts in a thread. Lastly, I'm not doing any "public service", I would think it's excusable to try to keep things from getting off topic into personal attacks, many others do this too.

Off-Topic.gif

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I wonder how many of you think a 9mm handgun is not accurate enough for 1000 yards? Because it most certainly is.

[video=youtube;jJ3XwizTqDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw[/video]

He was shooting double action with that revolver, might take note of that.

I think the only objective measure of handgun accuracy is a ransom rest, and even then that's not perfect. Just because the slide has play with the frame doesn't mean the handgun is any less accurate, it just means the slide and frame have play. The sights are still going to point to the same spot every time.

The only real way I see accuracy being different between handguns is if a handgun with very sloppy barrel fit was put against a firearm with an extremely tight barrel fit. Might see a tiny tiny difference.

After I shot my G23 as well as I did my kimber, I was done believing there's any real sort of mechanical accuracy difference between quality firearms.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    7 yards isn't really ideal to see accuracy. That's sort of like judging a car's top speed by seeing how it runs at 20mph. Any decent machine can do it, and at 20mph you can't tell a Fiesta from a Ferrari. The question becomes, what's good enough for what you want to do. If you want to shoot bull's eye competitions, you aren't going to run a Glock if you expect to win. However if your purpose is carrying daily with the intent to protect yourself, the ability to shave 1" or so off your 50y groups is suddenly much less important. That doesn't mean they are equally accurate, it just means they are both accurate enough for the purpose at hand.
    I couldn't agree more or have said it better. At 7 yds. you aren't testing the accuracy of the ammo, gun or the skill of the shooter.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I usually shoot at playing cards at 10 yards. If I can keep them on the card I should be good.
    IMG_0427.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Les Baer Premier II's are guaranteed for 3" at 50 yards. I have a couple handguns that will do about 3" at 25 yards. Unfortunately when I have them in my hand they degrade to 6 inches at 25 yards. I either need to carry a ransom rest with me or learn to hold more steady. A person can always shoot faster and accept a looser group size at a closer range, but if you need accuracy that is not built into the firearm, no amount of shooters skill will overcome that limit. Reliablity is a given. If it is not reliable, it is not a valid firearm.

BTW, Nice shooting Mike.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Good example using shorter guns. Shorter barrels are not mechanically less accurate. They are just less forgiving because of the shorter sight radius. If your sight alignment is off it has more affect on where the bullet lands.

I have a lightweight 1911 with a 4" barrel that is wonderfully accurate. But the nut behind the trigger really has to work at it to see the results.

I can place my shots just as accurately with my Kahr, as most can with a full size pistol, (4) barrel. Like you said, they are less forgiving. A good trigger definitely helps, and some compacts fall short in that aspect.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    this kinda depends, if i paid 2000 dollars for a very nice bullseye 1911 it better be very accurate but a 500 dollar glock will most likely not match the hi performance 1911 in mechanical accuracy, but it doesn't need to so it does not matter. my definition for accuracy would be what ever the gun is mechanically capable with match grade ammo tested in the same climate that the gun is used in at 25 yards for a pistol. that being said i would pick a 1911 over a glock cause i like them better.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'm more accurate with my Witness Elite and CZ-97B than I am with my Sig P6. They may have slightly more potential accuracy, but I think a lot of it is the longer sight radius and more weight towards the muzzle on the bigger guns.

But the P6 is my carry gun, and the others are range/woods guns. The P6 I can do center mass at 10-15 yards, the others I can do more like 3-4" at 15 yards.

The accuracy for the intended purpose is acceptable for each.

If I were to use a handgun for hunting, the accuracy (and me) would have to be much better for me to feel ethical using it.

As other have said, accuracy is subjective based on intent.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    this kinda depends, if i paid 2000 dollars for a very nice bullseye 1911 it better be very accurate but a 500 dollar glock will most likely not match the hi performance 1911 in mechanical accuracy, but it doesn't need to so it does not matter. my definition for accuracy would be what ever the gun is mechanically capable with match grade ammo tested in the same climate that the gun is used in at 25 yards for a pistol. that being said i would pick a 1911 over a glock cause i like them better.
    This brings up a couple of good points. There is mechanical accuracy, which is what the gun is capable of shooting without regards to the operator. There is shootability. That would be the things that give the shooter aid in shooting the pistol, i.e. good sights, good trigger mechanism and well fitting grips, etc. Of course we can have everything locked up on the first two factors of accuracy, but unless the ammo is up to snuff, none of the other two things matter.

Top Bottom