• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I dragged my wife and daughter out with me all around town today looking for a HD shotgun. I was set on a Mossberg 500, but wanted to see all options. We went to 3 different pawn shops and 5 stores. Wouldn't you know, the last store I went to is the one I wanted to purchase from, MC Sports. I found a Maverick 88 12 gauge for $199,which was cheaper than anywhere I have found online!! I filled out the paperwork and gave the guy my ID and was ready to fork over the cash and then I heard, "I can't sell this gun to you". WOW, why not? The address I filled out on the application was different than the address on my DL. He said he could not sell to me unless I get a new DL. True, I have moved since I had my DL made, but it doesn't expire for 3 more years and I hate to pay for another ID!!! He also would not allow my wife (correct address on DL) to buy it because that would be a "strongarm" purchase. Really? My wife can't buy a gun for me? I did not get denied, so how is that strongarm?

Before I get a bunch of replies on how to get around this, I don't need the advice, I will take care of it. I am just very frustrated I spent all day looking and came home empty handed. I have bought 5 or so guns in the last year with the same DL and same address with no problem.:xmad:

Not mad at the guy for following the rules that he is supposed to, but what a stupid rule.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    It is unfortunate that it happened, although the new ID would be a good investment if you plan on purchasing any weapons in the near future.

The "Strongarm" purchase he mentioned, was probably in reference to what most dealers/police/owners/etc mention as a "Straw". You were unable to purchase the weapon (for a silly reason, but a legal one nonetheless), he knew she was with you and as a result couldnt sell to her (something that is sometimes a hindrance, but is well intentioned).

let us know the ultimate outcome.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I recently moved an just bit the bullet so to speak an got a new DL to avoid this problem, But I agree sucks you an your family wasted the whole day

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    It is unfortunate that it happened, although the new ID would be a good investment if you plan on purchasing any weapons in the near future.

The "Strongarm" purchase he mentioned, was probably in reference to what most dealers/police/owners/etc mention as a "Straw". You were unable to purchase the weapon (for a silly reason, but a legal one nonetheless), he knew she was with you and as a result couldnt sell to her (something that is sometimes a hindrance, but is well intentioned).

let us know the ultimate outcome.

I would understand completing the app and getting a rejection, then not allowing her to do so, but I was not denied, just didn't have the proper credintials.

LTCH should be enough to walk right out the door IMHO!!

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    A $10 license amendment fee seems like a small price to pay for the ability to purchase a firearm, in the end you more than likely ended up spending more than that in gas looking for the shotgun. I had something similar happen on July 4th, nothing like walking away empty handed to make you feel like less of an American.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I seem something like that happen but in this case the DL was expire and the husband wanted his wife to do the paperwork and the owner of the shop did not let them.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    60 days dude. It sucks, but until the government is put back on the choke collar things like this are going to happen.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am always at the license branch within one week of moving for this very reason. I don't care how much time is left on my license its only ten bucks and I want to be able to purchase firearms. I am very surprised other shops have sold to you without a current address on your license. I have never seen a shop do that.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've had mismatched address on my driver's license and the 4473 form more often than not, for the last decade. I've bought guns from PSS, Bradis, Beech Grove, Pop, Albro (folded), and others. Most times they didn't really check the address, and I never got denied for the NICS phone call, so I always walked out with my "trophy". All except one, the one on Pendleton Pike (KS&E?). About two years ago I got the hankering for a lever-action 22, for some reason. They spotted the different addresses and gave me the same "royal" treatment like you had. I also tried the "wife-buy-it-instead" method, got cold shoulder as well. The yearning cooled off later, so the wife actually was happy and thankful for the saving... ;)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If your paperwork is not in order, it's your own fault most of the time. In that case you're better off buying used from a private individual. No use in getting hostile toward the shop owner, he's just trying to stay in business.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    +1 for the MCSports.

Glad they are following the same policies all other FFL's have to follow. I agree with what a few others have already said. Get the updated license. Its cheap.

Honestly, I can't even believe you would try to have your wife purchase if for you. That is exactly the same crap that is in the news all the time as to how felons were able to get their hands on a gun. (Not saying that is your case at all or that you are a felon or bad guy, just saying that it is fairly public knowledge that you can't have someone else buy a gun for you that you were just denied for.)

Get that updated license then show us some pics of your new firearm. Good luck!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I would understand completing the app and getting a rejection, then not allowing her to do so, but I was not denied, just didn't have the proper credintials.

LTCH should be enough to walk right out the door IMHO!!

Just to let you know ...you may wanna get the address corrected with the state on you LTCH also .....
    I'm thinking its kinda useless with the now wrong addy on it also :dunno:

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Ok its been a while, since I sold a lot of guns but at that time it was "govt issued photo ID". The guy was just doing his job.
    Its a fine line the Staw purchase. They have to have some laws to regulate firearms sales I guess. Sucks you spent all that time. I just got a new DL from the BMV all on line. Very easy and it was fast.

Top Bottom