• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I checked one of my Wingmasters and it appears to have an aluminum trigger guard based upon the magnet test.
    I also looked at my Express that was sitting next to it and it looks to be aluminum as well.

Thanks for the check.
    Now I have another request: Give me your Wingmaster.
    I kid, I kid.
    Okay, I'll just settle for the P220 Elite instead. ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for the check.
    Now I have another request: Give me your Wingmaster.
    I kid, I kid.
    Okay, I'll just settle for the P220 Elite instead. ;)

LOL... mmmmm No.
    I got my first gun that was officially mine, 44 years ago tomorrow. A Wingmaster in 20g. Best Christmas gift I ever got or ever will get.
    Dang it... something got in my eye there. You get to missing your Dad when you think of stuff like that.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    LOL... mmmmm No.
    I got my first gun that was officially mine, 44 years ago tomorrow. A Wingmaster in 20g. Best Christmas gift I ever got or ever will get.
    Dang it... something got in my eye there. You get to missing your Dad when you think of stuff like that.

I always seem to get something in my eye when I think of Mom and Dad especially around the Christmas Holidays. I still have my bb gun my dad bought me 49 years ago.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    LOL... mmmmm No.

Sorry to hear that your Dad is no longer here to see you appreciate that shotgun.
    I'm lucky that I still have both of my folks, and my first gun (yep, from Dad) was a Weatherby 92 pump shotgun that I'm sorry to say was a real lemon.
    However, for my 16th birthday in 1984, he gave me a rifle that I had wanted for years: Marlin 39A
    Believe me, THAT is no lemon!
    I eventually sold the Weatherby because it broke and I wasn't willing to pay to repair a shotgun that had given me enough grief already, but the 39A is still the jewel.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Finish
    Wingmaster - Finely polished then blued Remington bluing on many Wingmasters was dull and milky
    870 Express - Rougher with applied coating (except Marine magnum)It is a matte finish (bead blast). It is not a coating. 1100 SP was parkerized. Possibly some military 870 (and maybe newer models- basic Express wasnot back in the day).

Furniture
    Wingmaster - Polished Walnut stock Some were Mahogany.
    870 Express - Matte solid or laminated wood, or plastic Initially birch, but some deer and even reg models were available in walnut. Pressed checkering though. Even the first yr or two of SP guns was birch, but then went walnut.
    Mag Tube cap
    Wingmaster - Detent pin and dimples secure cap
    870 express - Cap secured by toothed plastic insert First ones also took reg mag cap.

Extended Magtube
    Wingmaster - Accepts extended mag tube out of box without modification
    870 Express - Dimples in mag tube must be ground or pressed out use mag extension (except tactical models)

Internal parts
    Wingmaster - All machined parts and twin extractors
    870 express - Some MIM parts and single extractor

All Express 12 ga are on Magnum receivers (even if roll mark on side of receiver doesnt say so ). Will have an "M" at end of serial number.
    Express models could be purchased with 2 3/4" barrels or 3", the stamping back in the early days just told you what config the gun was sold in originally.
    Express Supermagnums came later and don't run the "M" at the end of the serial number, mine has an "A". Dunno if they all do now, or if Big Green dropped the "M" .
    Things change.

But I think every 870 I've ever seen/owned had ONE extractor.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    [...]

But I think every 870 I've ever seen/owned had ONE extractor.

Unless Remington had an odd run of a prototype with dual extractors, you're exactly right.
    This is one of three areas where the Mossberg 500 has at least a theoretical advantage, with the other two being (of course) the ejector that requires only a screwdriver to replace and the tang safety.

Clay319

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Boone County
    The biggest difference for me is that I don't mind goose hunting in a wet cornfield with my Express. I took my high gloss 1100 a couple times but couldn't bear having it get muddy. Now I have a 870 with a spray painted camo plastic stock. A good beater gun for heavy field use! The 1100 is reserved for pheasants.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Kinda off topic but what do the old wingmaster 12's with the ribbed fore end go for nowadays? I'd consider letting it go if values are actually climbing on them.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Kinda off topic but what do the old wingmaster 12's with the ribbed fore end go for nowadays? I'd consider letting it go if values are actually climbing on them.

I'm assuming you're talking about what was dubbed the "corncob" forend, as with this model 12, right -
    foss-shotgun_2.jpg

Attachments

• foss-shotgun_2.jpg
      foss-shotgun_2.jpg
      7.9 KB · Views: 2

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There's no shortage of old very good shape field model 870's.
    Walnut and magnum receiver seems to help the 12 gauges in value.
    Special field 20's are silly priced.

Non magnum, non Remchoke............used......................no big deal.
    It might appreciate in value over time, but it's definitely not an investment.
    I'd call it a "use it for free" kinda deal (not lose money).

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Wingmasters are nice, but for all around heaven, they don't compare to the old Model 12 Winchester.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remington goes by barrel code on dating.
    And since bbls on 870 and 1100 can easily be swapped............

If your bbl is the original one, then yeah, date it.
    You can also go to the Remington Society and look over posts, plus they used to have a history article, telling when certain models introduced (and when options changed).
    Ex: the 870 Special Purpose was introduced at whatever yr it was..........but the first and maybe 2nd yrs of production.........were dark stained birch. After that they went walnut.

You might need to know the little stuff to determine more closely the yr of manufacture (if the bbl is not original).

Calling or emailing the factory..............

Yeah I did that on my '67 fingergroove 10/22.
    They told me it was a regular 10/22 made in '62.

They didn't make them until '64..........and I have a 5 or 6 digit serial number (can't remember right offhand).

That wonderful bit of Ruger history cost me $10 and I got a swell letter and owner's manual..........all within seconds of the spotted nonsense, went into the trash.

Top Bottom