• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    For me one big advantage of the 550 is the sheer number of caliber I load. My machines currently have heads set up in 15 different calibers. When I was shooting action pistol several times a month and burning through 3-4000 rounds a week in practice my 650 set up in 38 Super made sense but I don't shoot at near that volume anymore. I currently have 2 550 set up, one in small primer and on in large. I can do a simple die head and base plate change and go from loading handgun to rifle in just minutes.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Because "....fast is fine but accuracy is everything...",Wyatt Earp. I like the hands-on control of the 550 over the 650, as I am very careful with each and every round I produce. Speed is not as important to me as well made cartridges.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    :popcorn: I have been throwing this idea around as well,my single stage makes good cartridges but like everything it's time consuming

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I recently picked up a 550b I really enjoy the self indexing. What I have experienced with auto indexing presses of the 2 top progressive presses H and D is that when loading with a ball or flake powder to near case capacity you get a lot of spillage when the plate auto indexes. With the manual indexing of the 550 I can do it a bit slower and easier to avoid spilling. I have no problem of speed with my 550.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I don't understand why so many people think the 650 is so hard to do a caliber change on. It's a 5 minute job, wiping down and lubing as I go. As far as finicky goes, if you learn to adjust it properly it runs just fine. Last year we loaded 170k rounds on mine. The only issues were operator error (teaching newbies) or stray cases that find their way into the mix. None of which are a big deal to clear and move on from. We run 9mm, 40 S&W, 44 mag, 223 and 300 BLK.

I have a Lee Turret set up for small batch stuff. Mostly 380, 38 SPL & 357. Then a single stage for precision loading and making test loads with.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Because "....fast is fine but accuracy is everything...",Wyatt Earp. I like the hands-on control of the 550 over the 650, as I am very careful with each and every round I produce. Speed is not as important to me as well made cartridges.

Have you used a Xl 650? I'm betting you havent otherwise you wouldn't have made that statement. The bigest mistake people make when reloading is loading when they are fatigued or distracted. The XL 650 has less action required on my part, so it allows me to be better at all the other things I am doing.

As far as indexing and spilling powder goes. Just cut one loop off of the ball rentention spring and the machine will smooth right out and not snap into each station. It never was a problem for me anyway because I have a bullet in hand and I am placing it on the waiting case before it gets to the ball rentention spot. Right hand pulls handle and left hand is getting another bullet ready for awaiting case.

Both machines are great and will get the job done just not a quickly. But saying the 550 is just as good or makes better rounds as the 650 is not true. The 650 is not as good as the 1050 either. If the 550 gets the job done for the 550 users then that is the correct machine for them, but I have no intentions to go backwards. My time is valuable and spending more money to save time is a direction I will always take.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have loaded many many rounds on a 650, I still prefer the control of the 550. The only advantage I see to the 650 is the 5 stations, you can run the 1200b or a powder cop in the extra station. If you ran a bullet feeder the 650 would have an advantage otherwise when you place a bullet on the case your hand is right there to turn the shell plate. Having loaded many thousands of rounds on both I don't see the 550 as a step down due to its self indexing feature. They both are great machines as is the Hornady LNL you really cannot go wrong.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've used every dillon but the 50 cal one, and it really depends on what you're loading. I have 3 dillons and 2 single stage setups. 2 650's, one large primer and one in small for pistol/straight wall cases and a 1050 for rifle rounds. If you are trying to get any kind of consistency or quantity, the 1050 is the bees knees for rifle. The 550 works well for rifle due to it's more manual nature, and you don't lose as much quantity to prep. In order to run 223 in a 650, the cases should be length sized, deprimed and crimp removed or you will be faster just using a single stage.

Not sure that helps, but it's what I've found over the years. The last 650 I bought was a week before sandy hook. I traded 2k rounds of 22lr and a few bucks for an old rusted 650. Cleaned it up, called dillon to get me updated parts, and off I went. total investment was maybe 300 bucks. Now that ammo is getting regular, I'm willing to bet more presses will get sold off.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    or if money and space permit View attachment 32662

Roger that!

10703541_10203656908997906_5181818930997416233_n.jpg

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I have been thinking and watching videos for the dillion's also. What are some of the add-ons like strong mount base, low primer warning or whatever, to the basic 550 or 650 that I might consider?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have been thinking and watching videos for the dillion's also. What are some of the add-ons like strong mount base, low primer warning or whatever, to the basic 550 or 650 that I might consider?
    Of course, it depends upon the machine. With a 550B, I'd get the roller handle and extra tool heads, as well as, tool head stands. Extra powder measures are good. For the 650, the strong mount, low/high powder warning are a necessity. The low primer warning is good to have on the 650 since the primer tube moves up and down with the press, so the primer level while loading isn't nearly as obvious, as say on the 550B. Of course, the case feeder is a must on the 650, if you want any increase at all in the production rate over the 550B. Extra primer pick-up tubes come in handy. I've been using one of the older Vibra-Prime primer fillers for some time and really like it. It does require some technique, so there is a learning curve, but I find it very useful. The newer ones are supposed to be improved, but I cannot comment on that. You can find them here: Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime Automatic Primer Tube Filler. The Dillon tools and tool holder look like a very good idea. I just have the wrench and Dillon die rings. I think the Dillon instructional DVD would be of benefit.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I have two 650's. Friend's have 550's. They are both great machines which will work well. In either case, I'd recommend a case feeder because after using one, I could never go back.

For me, it came down to my personality. I don't like spending time reloading. It's like mowing or shaving to me, just wasted time. If I bought a 550 to save a few bucks, every time I used the press, I'd wish I had the slightly faster one. Knowing that, I bought the 650. It's a good thing that I don't load much rifle or I'd be wanting a 1050.

I'd call BS on the increased accuracy part. I'm pretty sure they use the same powder dispenser and would have similar tolerance stackups. Both machines are capable of producing high quality ammo. If you really care about high precision rifle loads, you're probably going to be using a single stage.

As for accessories, a case feeder is a must in my book. Roller handle is a nice to have. If you are making your reloading bench and build it to the right height, strong mount/bullet tray are not needed. If you are putting it on an existing bench, they are probably worth it. I think the low powder warning is a waste. You are adding primers every 100 rounds. Look at the powder level when you are adding primers. Extra primer tubes are nice. Low primer warning comes with the press. I'd recommend the spare parts kit. That way if you break something, you have a spare while Dillon is sending you a replacement. If you go with the 650, I like the powder check die. Youtube has lots of info and the manuals are good so I didn't spend the money on DVDs you'll probably watch one time.

For non/dillon mods/accessories,
    I love the used primer tube fitting so all your spent primers get dumped into a large can. The roller bearing is a nice add to the 650 to smooth it out. Taping two shotgun shells to the back of the case feeder will collect the spare media that can fall on your bench. Uniquetek micrometer for the powder bar makes dialing in your powder charge a breeze. I bought a vibraprime this year and was not impressed. I like the rotating case/media separators, I use Dillons but probably any of them would work well. Case gages are nice to have.

If you are thinking about eventually buying two presses, I'd buy two of the same, that way the conversion kits work on both presses.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I agree on you not needing the low powder warning. I used the wrong term. If you are getting the 650, definitely get the powder check or some other manufacturer's equivalent. I have never used a case gauge and haven't noticed any problems where one would have been useful. IMHO, the spare parts kits are pretty pricey for what you get. You'd be better off just buying a couple of parts which wear out (plastic) or are commonly lost.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

I'd call BS on the increased accuracy part. I'm pretty sure they use the same powder dispenser and would have similar tolerance stackups. Both machines are capable of producing high quality ammo. If you really care about high precision rifle loads, you're probably going to be using a single stage.

That's crazy. Then I wouldn't be able to justify a slower, cheaper machine as easily. I really need to feel that slower is more accurate. Because Wyatt Earp says so. :):

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There certainly isn't anything wrong with the 550B, but I know some high level bullseye pistol shooters who use 650's and 1050's and they load top quality ammo. Someone else may be able to comment on how well certain Dillon presses load precision rifle ammo.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have two 650's. Friend's have 550's. They are both great machines which will work well. In either case, I'd recommend a case feeder because after using one, I could never go back.

For me, it came down to my personality. I don't like spending time reloading. It's like mowing or shaving to me, just wasted time. If I bought a 550 to save a few bucks, every time I used the press, I'd wish I had the slightly faster one. Knowing that, I bought the 650. It's a good thing that I don't load much rifle or I'd be wanting a 1050.

As for accessories, a case feeder is a must in my book. Roller handle is a nice to have. If you are making your reloading bench and build it to the right height, strong mount/bullet tray are not needed. If you are putting it on an existing bench, they are probably worth it. I think the low powder warning is a waste. You are adding primers every 100 rounds. Look at the powder level when you are adding primers. Extra primer tubes are nice. Low primer warning comes with the press. I'd recommend the spare parts kit. That way if you break something, you have a spare while Dillon is sending you a replacement. If you go with the 650, I like the powder check die. Youtube has lots of info and the manuals are good so I didn't spend the money on DVDs you'll probably watch one time.

For non/dillon mods/accessories,
    I love the used primer tube fitting so all your spent primers get dumped into a large can. The roller bearing is a nice add to the 650 to smooth it out. Taping two shotgun shells to the back of the case feeder will collect the spare media that can fall on your bench. Uniquetek micrometer for the powder bar makes dialing in your powder charge a breeze. I bought a vibraprime this year and was not impressed. I like the rotating case/media separators, I use Dillons but probably any of them would work well. Case gages are nice to have.

If you are thinking about eventually buying two presses, I'd buy two of the same, that way the conversion kits work on both presses.

Some guys install a powder funnel and drop load precision ammo.

Top Bottom