• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Have you used a Xl 650? I'm betting you havent otherwise you wouldn't have made that statement. The bigest mistake people make when reloading is loading when they are fatigued or distracted. The XL 650 has less action required on my part, so it allows me to be better at all the other things I am doing.

As far as indexing and spilling powder goes. Just cut one loop off of the ball rentention spring and the machine will smooth right out and not snap into each station. It never was a problem for me anyway because I have a bullet in hand and I am placing it on the waiting case before it gets to the ball rentention spot. Right hand pulls handle and left hand is getting another bullet ready for awaiting case.

Both machines are great and will get the job done just not a quickly. But saying the 550 is just as good or makes better rounds as the 650 is not true. The 650 is not as good as the 1050 either. If the 550 gets the job done for the 550 users then that is the correct machine for them, but I have no intentions to go backwards. My time is valuable and spending more money to save time is a direction I will always take.

You would not win that bet!:) I have used the 650, (a friends), and I like the 550 better. It has nothing to do with the cost of the unit as I can afford to buy either one or both for that matter. As I stated earlier; I like the hands-on work involved with the 550. I did not mean to imply the 650 did not make as accurate of a round. For me, the 550 makes more "perfect" rounds with less defective ammo that does not pass my final inspectiion. :thumbsup:
    I really, really like to reload. It is very enjoyable and satisfying.

ps:I don't care to have a 1050 either.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That's crazy. Then I wouldn't be able to justify a slower, cheaper machine as easily. I really need to feel that slower is more accurate. Because Wyatt Earp says so. :):

Thats not exactly what I said but if thats the way you want to interpret being less fatigued helps do a better job of whatever your doing then run with it.
    Oh by the way Wyatt Earp would shoot circles around Billy The Kid any day and didn't have to ambush to get the job done.

Repeat after me: ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING!
    Thank you:rockwoot:

Accuracy is everything and I'm glad we can all agree. Accuracy starts with quality ammo. I'm happy that what ever system you and Rob run work for you and give you added confidence behind the trigger, I'm just sorry that you guys got Butthurt over the 550 vs 650 discussion.

Carry on :rolleyes:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I haven't purchased yet, my reloading area is "boxed up" & preparing for a move so I am not in a big rush to buy a press.

Leaning toward the 650 but depends on what kind of deal I can find on either between now & the time I am ready to start reloading again.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I haven't purchased yet, my reloading area is "boxed up" & preparing for a move so I am not in a big rush to buy a press.

Leaning toward the 650 but depends on what kind of deal I can find on either between now & the time I am ready to start reloading again.

Profire has a deal on used machines from time to time. Contact them and get on the list for a reloading class. They use Dillon machines in the class so you would get hands on before you purchase.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Profire has a deal on used machines from time to time. Contact them and get on the list for a reloading class. They use Dillon machines in the class so you would get hands on before you purchase.

That is something I have thought about doing for a while, loaded quite a bit on the LCT & learned from someone who has been loading for 40+ years but would like to get more knowledge on reloading (especially rifle) & the intricacies of the Dillon products.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That is something I have thought about doing for a while, loaded quite a bit on the LCT & learned from someone who has been loading for 40+ years but would like to get more knowledge on reloading (especially rifle) & the intricacies of the Dillon products.

Profire does have a used XL650 completely setup in 9mm. It is a fair price and you could even get them to throw in a free training session. It has a lifetime warranty so no issues about ordering used. Andrew will even replace parts for you and he will send them in for replacement.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    I took the class at Profire,very helpful for this rookie.the conversations during the evening were very beneficial. I Purchased my 550 there.

Top Bottom