• ...and so much more!
  • thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    DNA clears Texas man who spent 30 years in prison - Yahoo! News

Couldn't imagine losing 30 years of life from a false accusation.

So if someone gets exonerated, their record cleared, and have no other convictions in the past will they have their full rights back or are there "hang-ups" in the system that would prevent them from buying a firearm, or have issues with a background check for a job or any other situation?

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    The judge, prosecuting attorney, and police deserve one thing in a case like this, DEATH! Send them all to "old Sparky" That will cut down on BS like this in the future...

INGunGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    to bad dna is only accurate 60% of the time (so they say, reality is only about 30%) i am glad this guy got off, but there are better solutions than inaccurate dna testing.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    30 years in prison for something he didn't do. That's nearly half a lifetime. That isn't something that can be made up for. Friends and family have moved on. He has nothing. No job history. No savings. No home. No car.

That's hard to comprehend.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Where in the heck did you come up with this? DNA testing, when comparing at least 13 loci, gives an identity match with a frequency of occurrence of 1 in 10 trillion. The only inaccuracies that could possibly be introduced are errors in the scientific methods when processing samples, but these are guarded against by protocol and peer review.

:+1:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    This sounds reasonable. Can we send death squads out to murder all of the jury members as well? Don't forget the court reporter, the bailiff, and all of the other court staff.

AMERICA! **** YEAH!

:rolleyes:

Go ahead and roll your eyes, but this man had his LIFE TAKEN AWAY FROM HIM, so the same should be of the judge/prosecutor/police because they ultimately were responsible for this. Yea we can also blame the jury, but the jury is only allowed to hear what the judge/prosecutors allow them to hear. These people need to be held accountable for their actions, and in this case their actions were deplorable. I would rather a million guilty people be let free than incarcerate one innocent person, PERIOD!

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    You know absolutely nothing about this case, don't know how he was convicted, don't know who said or did what......and you are calling for people to die. And people wonder why there's sometimes a negative perception of us as "gun-toting crazies."

You are an embarrassment. Seriously.

You are entitled to your opinion, and that is fine, just remember, opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one, and the ALL stink. These people arrested, convicted and jailed AN INNOCENT MAN for 30 YEARS. They absolutely should be held CRIMINALLY liable. You start holding judges, prosecutors and the police to the same standards that we the John Q. Public are held to and maybe they would not screw up like they do. I do believe that if I were to have kidnapped and held someone against their will for 30 years, if the death penalty wasnt on the table, then it should have been, I would go to jail for the rest of my life.

INGunGuy

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    30 years in prison for something he didn't do. That's nearly half a lifetime. That isn't something that can be made up for. Friends and family have moved on. He has nothing. No job history. No savings. No home. No car.

That's hard to comprehend.

Wife gone. Kids grown up. Parents passed on. It is sad beyond what words can express.

I agree with the the comment about preferring to see 100 guilty men go free than seeing an innocent person falsely imprisoned. This is why it is so important to protect the rights of the accused. This is why our system leaves us innocent until proven guilty. This is why it requires unanimous agreement 12 jurors to lock up a person. Unfortunately sometimes the system fails to bring justice to an innocent person. Hopefully this becomes more of a rarity in the age of DNA evidence.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Where in the heck did you come up with this? DNA testing, when comparing at least 13 loci, gives an identity match with a frequency of occurrence of 1 in 10 trillion. The only inaccuracies that could possibly be introduced are errors in the scientific methods when processing samples, but these are guarded against by protocol and peer review.
    Well,since they are guarded against by protocal and peer review. That make's me feel a lot better.(Supposed to be in purple)

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Before I make a comment, I would have to know more about the particular situation. Did an overworked public defender advise him to plea bargain? Did the prosecutor knowingly withhold exoneratting evidence just to get a conviction. Was the guy mis-identified by the victim or witnesses to the crime? Was the evidence that was provided against him to get the conviction all good for the time? If this guy is now clean, I would think that someone, whoever's jurisdiction it was in, would owe him a big pile of money and the help to integrate him back into society at the very least. Wow!!!, I guess that I made a comment anyway.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    $$$$$$$ anybody else hear it? When I left Dallas, I know the DA and a non-profit were working pretty much non-stop on cases that could be reversed with DNA evidence. Minus the psychological damage, the guy should have no problems financially for the rest of his life.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Back in the day...gathering evidence was much more difficult and processing it even more so. As a result, the vast majority of convictions are based on circumstantial evidence, witnesses, motive, and opportunity. Very few cases are ever prosecuted with hard physical evidence.

Also, most jurors are more than willing to convict a guy on the prosecutors opinion that he was the person most likely to have done it.

Top Bottom