Do you carry a full magazine + one in the chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?

• Total voters

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree I very rarely load a mag to full copacity any ways. if I have to shoot a perp 15 time I better go back to the range or buy a baseball bat, that would probably do the job faster. but you know every one thinks more is better Ill take 1 good shot over 15 bad ones any day plus allot less ?s to answer .

So if you fire at a bad guy
    in a stressful situation
    moving target or targets
    possible bad lighting
    how many of those 15 do you think would hit????
    I'd rather have extra rounds, than say to myself "damm, one more bullet would have been nice. Time out Mr. Bad Guy. I need to go home to get more bullets."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I Carry 10+1 in my bursa because that is what I practice at the range with and I know that my round count will be accurate. you all do count rounds don't you? but I guess I am in the minority.

Round counts work well at the range.
    No so much when you have a bullet cracking by you.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    It's just hard to not want to have a higher round count when you know it is available? If something bad goes down so much is not in your control so do what you can to control as much as possible, i.e. keep your weapon clean and in good shape, know it and how to perform with it, and yes, having as many rounds as you reasonably can on your side.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I lock the slide back, slide the single round in by hand, release the slide then seat the mag...

DO PEOPLE NO LONGER READ THREADS BEFORE POSTING?!?!!!?
    almost once per page this is brought up.

the way you described damages extractors.

I use to do that, until I was told not to do it that way. Don't remember the exact reason, but he shoots more then me and says it is hard on the ejector

Uncle caught me doing that as a teenager with my first 1911. I received a full on "NCIS, Gibbs" style whack to the head and was given several reasons why that is a bad idea. It is a bad idea and will ruin the extractor among other things. Uncle was an Army ranger. He knew how to make his point.

Very bad on your extractor.
    Loading this way, the extractor has to pop over the rim, and the lip will eventually wear and possibably bend or break, resulting in FTE because of a bent or broken extractor.

Billybob, not sure why you're so confident that it's only on internal extractors that it will damage but I have had more than a few armorers that I've seen berate people for loading glocks in that manner because it will damage the extractor.

I mean, it's all in how you want to do it. Just be mindful that you will need to replace your extractor sooner than those that load from the magazine.

Extractors are made to accept the rim of the bullet as the round is being brought from the magazine. When you do it your way, you're essentially forcing the extractor OVER the rim, instead of allowing it to just line up during the process.

You really should look into how bad that damages extractors. It's not good for them at all. Also, according to you, your vote should have been yes, because you're still carrying a full load plus one in the tube.

Pipman, your technique is referred to as a "Bubba load". Sooner or later, but eventually, it will screw up your extractor.

clfout3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    15+1, I've never heard anyone say "man I wish I didn't have so many bullets in my gun when that happened"

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I see this in posts every once in a while where people say they carry (for example) with 15 rounds plus 1 in the chamber with a 15 round magazine. Seems kinda silly to me that some would load their gun, rack the slide, pop out the magazine, load another round and then seat the magazine back into the gun. Now on a tube fed rifle or shotgun I understand.

Do you carry a full magazine plus one in the chamber or do you carry with a formerly full magazine with one in the chamber?

I voted +1 of course; why wouldn't you?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I don't put another round in due to some issues I have had, with some guns, hanging up after that first shot. Besides, I carry at least one spare magazine, and if I am in a gunfight that requires more than two to three magazines to get through, I'm probably hoping the cavalry is going to show up soon because I am in over my head.....just my opinion here, not trying to tell you all what to do.

08dmax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Not carrying a gun to it's full capacity ie magazine +1 to me just doesn't make sense....God forbid you ever need a single round in a defense situation but the +1 just might save your life

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Not sure why this thread got to 11 pages. The first one who responded got it correct and 11 pages of posters did nothing but say the same thing. Not sure what the OP was thinking, either. It's one of those questions for which there is only one plausible answer.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    In my LCP i do, but in my glock i don't. that last round makes the mag fit too tight for my liking, plus i've had a mag pop out before, it didn't fall out but it was not seated (yes it was seated firmly before) so i don't carry with that extra because i don't want to make the mag come out any easier. I carry with and extended mag release so that extra pressure plus the extended may just give me problems.

I'd rather be short one round then only having one round to begin with. :twocents:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    In my LCP i do, but in my glock i don't. that last round makes the mag fit too tight for my liking, plus i've had a mag pop out before, it didn't fall out but it was not seated (yes it was seated firmly before) so i don't carry with that extra because i don't want to make the mag come out any easier. I carry with and extended mag release so that extra pressure plus the extended may just give me problems.

I'd rather be short one round then only having one round to begin with. :twocents:

My buddy's Glocks has never had that problem and his off duty carry is a 29 and his duty is a 23.

Top Bottom