• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Did you move your camera? Let's say they are on here or another social media sight you posted the picture. Now they can easily return and swipe your camera! Just a thought.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Had a friend near Denver, IN, now deceased, used to let us hunt his land. Small country cemetery bordered his property. Some trespassers used to park in the cemetery and cut through the woods onto his land. We told our friend John, who just happened to be friends with the local CO. Next time it happened ol John called the CO, who parked behind the trespasser's car and waited for them. Wish I could have seen the look on their faces. I didn't, but never saw the buttheads again either. :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    View attachment 50660

If so, kindly remind them tresspassing is a misdemeanor and those big yellow POSTED PRIVATE PROPERTY NO TRESPASSING signs they walked by are kinda hard to miss.

Owning property means you must be a dick. You cannot sleep on your rights.

Signs and then more signs. Continual recon patrols. Call the cops on everyone. Be the squeaky wheel.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I had a neighbor that started telling folks I would shoot trespassers. I've had a lot less problems since then. Although I kinda worry about accidentally sneaking up on a guy and he shoots first outta fear.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If they set up stands and hunt and the animal crosses into another person's property, by law they are supposed to ask for permission to retrieve the game. If the landowner refuses, legally they can't do anything. If they continue to hunt and animals go cross the line, the DNR can cite them for Wanton Destruction of Wildlife.

If they are making the shots in another person's property I believe that may fall under poaching laws, but I am not sure. It has been awhile since I was involved in the Hunter Education program and that was in Virginia so Indiana laws may vary.

We have made a few neighbors angry over the years. At this point, most of them have given up hunting or have found other locations to hunt. They can no longer go in their back yard and shoot across the line into our woods as we have made it VERY clear that they will not be allowed to track across the line. We make sure we are more visible to them during hunting season and have no qualms about driving a noisy tractor or truck through the woods right on the property line. I also take walks wearing lots of hunter orange while loudly talking on my cell phone or singing as I go. They LOVE that. When they yell and wave at me, I give them a very friendly wave back and keep right on talking. I'm sure they are just being neighborly. Some of them wave quite vigorously with both arms and even use hand signals, but I know it just shows how much they love seeing me early in the morning on a nice, crisp fall day.

Owning property means you must be a dick. You cannot sleep on your rights.

Signs and then more signs. Continual recon patrols. Call the cops on everyone. Be the squeaky wheel.

Yep...we also have lots of signs on the well-marked property line and have placed one directly in front of each and every tree stand we find.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I had a neighbor that started telling folks I would shoot trespassers. I've had a lot less problems since then. Although I kinda worry about accidentally sneaking up on a guy and he shoots first outta fear.

Hahaha that's kind of funny in a way...
    I once had some friends try and pull a prank in me, but my neighbor caught them walking down the driveway. I looked him dead in the eye in front of them and said "I appreciate what you did, and we are lucky it was these guys. Next time shoot first and we will figure it out later." No one ever got me while at home or even tried after that... Not that the story was relevant but I had to share!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep...we also have lots of signs on the well-marked property line and have placed one directly in front of each and every tree stand we find.

I think a sign of "Yes, you are trespassing, and No, I dont know where your tree stand went." on the tree would be more effective. LOL

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Chasing off trespassers never ends and over the years I've found that being civil works best, that combined with a creepy old man smile makes them want to move on.:)

Never have had to call the law.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I'd be posting this on FB and any other social media you can post on. Someone will know them and get the word out.
    I've had the same trouble since I bought my place. It's taken a while but the old regular trespassers have all been ran off finally. A couple of them were locals that thought it was their right to abuse my land.
    I even had a couple of guys sneaking down my long tree line I shoot towards. Man those guys could run.
    Most of mine is farmed so weather and seasons dictate a lot of intrusion.

I like the Idea of Putting their Mugs all over FB but i would bet They would not get the HINT and you Camera would come up missing
    good fighting this battle

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I think a sign of "Yes, you are trespassing, and No, I dont know where your tree stand went." on the tree would be more effective. LOL

Personally, I think hidden damage to the tree stand that would render it incapable of supporting the weight of an adult human or punji pits on the path to the tree would work better yet.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Trespassers are the scum of the Earth. Had a car parked along the road one day and the person was actually smart enough to leave a note: Please don't have my car towed, I ran out of gas and will be back shortly. Mushroom season is the worst. In the firs few years we ran folks off daily. It takes a while but word travels quickly. These guys don't honestly look smart enough to take the hint anyway. We get people on our cameras yearly. If you know a LEO, share or give them a copy of the picture and share your story with them. Even though you have signs posted every 100 feet of the perimeter they will keep coming. Good luck.

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    My mother's side of the family had some land in Eastern Ky. that had been passed down, and was owned by multiple heirs. It was very remote, and the only access was via a small gravel road. A relative (and part owner) in the area went to check on it and was met with someone that was armed and demanded to know what the owner was doing there. He said he owned it, diplomatically, and left. He visited a while later, also armed, and didn't see the guy. The assumption was that it was being used to grow marijuana. Shortly after this, said relative took the effort to get in touch with all the landowners and sell the property to one of the adjacent land owners.

If you don't stop trespassers they will eventually take over and assume it is theirs.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I hunt quite a bit in the Hoosier National Forest. I do a map recon and use a high quality GPS to insure I do not stray onto anyone's private land. You would not believe the amount of no hunting signs that are placed on public land. That being said went squirrel hunting this year in an area I have hunted for many years. The area is about 500 acres that borders the Ohio river steep rugged hills prevent most hunters from attempting the challenge.
    Headed into the woods about 0500 busted my way down the slopes into a dry creek bed and quickly collected two small grays. Worked my way further down the creek and heard what sounded like a four wheeler in the distance which is a big violation in the National Forest.
    The woods open up towards the river into a beautiful patch of old white oaks, walnuts. I spot a scraggly looking man I would say in his mid fifties walking down a firebreak. He sees me about once he gets about 50 ft away and makes a beeline for me. He is carrying a single shot 12 gauge and a hi point of some type no hunter orange which is required.
    He states " what ya doing hunting on my land " I said this is public land the nearest private land is about 1/4 mile away. He said how do you know that resting his hand on the trusty hi point by the way I hate when anyone rests their hand on a sidearm.
    I showed him the GPS and map ignoring his apparent irritation.
    He then turned and walked away back up the firebreak without saying a word. That is strange for this area we normally talk for a few minutes and find who we mutually know or if we are related it's a small area.
    With a little research I found out this guy is a Ginseng hunter that is not from the area. He has a travel trailer that he will set up and then rides into the woods on a quad. He has been run off of private land several times and the Sheiff is aware of him.
    I guess the lesson is to keep your "situational awareness"
    I have other encounters on public and private land you should see opening day of deer gun season. The city slickers come out and shoot at everything!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've cut deer stands off of my trees, but always track the miscreant back to where they crossed the fence into my territory and leave the stand there.

Top Bottom