• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh, boy:

1. Overpriced, especially on "vietnam" magazines (whatever those are). Ammo? You'd think there was a tax on it.
    2. Unsafe range. Last year alone an employee went to the hospital after taking an Ak round into his elbow, IIRC. Mind you it may have not been the employee's fault, but it matches plenty that I have seen there.
    3. UNsafe clientelle. Lordy, lordy. Want to get mugged in the lot, be sure to show off your stuff in the store. I asked one employee about loading up my carry weapon before leaving and he said something to the effect of, "Yeah, I sure would." It's not like two of their employees were ambushed and murdered before opening 10 years ago or so. Oh, wait, that did happen.
    4. Don loves to say whatever will get him press and a monopoly on guns. He supported the AWB so that he could sell the stuff he stockpiled. He publicly calls for an end to FTF sales, wonder why?

That's really it for now.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you can accept his standard group of clients, then you can go and look. If you shop around you will find out his prices on most everything is way too high. Believe, he loves to make lots of money. On people who do not know guns. He will sell to anyone with the cash. MO.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I wnet to Don's for the first time this summer(as I do not live in indy).The area is well horrible.The people in the shop where rather cold to me when asking to look at a firearm.I look at the price and almost crap...it was a Berreta 92fs for 718.00...that is at least 200 more than most places.But I still had hope to find something.I asked how much for a case of 7.62x39 and got this "we only sell by the box,we can not make money selling cases". Price per box then was $8.99. That is lunacy! You can order most wolf online STILL at 4.50 a box,back then was maybe 3.75 a box buying a case.They basiclly only sell over priced ammo for people to shoot at there indoor range(To shoot on there range you have to pay the 15 dollar fee AND use there ammo).Avoid this place,unless you really want to get ripped off. Go to bradis would be my advice(and bradis is open on sundays to).

ProudAmerican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I know nothing about Don's but watching the video says a lot about him. What person that knows anything about firearm safety keeps their finger on the trigger :rolleyes:

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Do yourself a favor and do not waste your time going to Don'S, i walked in one time and was wearing a jacket from another gunshop (was not intentional) and thought I was not going to make it out alive. I swore that if I made it out alive I would never return and I was true to myself. Would buy a firearm out of the trunk of a "64 Chevy low rider owned by someone named Taco before I would walk back into Dons.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    dons guns

if you got that much money put some in the bank that place is for the dumb and wealthy.alot of there stuff is double bradis or any competitive establishment....

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Oh, boy:

... It's not like two of their employees were ambushed and murdered before opening 10 years ago or so. Oh, wait, that did happen...

Actually, it was at the Greenwood store where one of his clerks got murdered back in '96. Don closed that store soon after. Of course he had been losing business there every since he came out and actively supported Commissar Clinton's AWB (he even posted a big congrats to the Prez on his sign after it passed).
    I made the mistake of going into his Greenwood store once, and it took weeks before I felt clean again.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    *Look at the Brady Campaign statistics* eww I hope I never have to say that again,

but they have a list of the top "gun shops" where guns used in crimes were purchased. Don's Guns is #2 IN THE COUNTRY. Not good stuff. Some people would feel morally responsible. Some would try to change. "Don just loves to sell guns" to any one who will pay and pass a background check. Not that other dealers wouldn't, but just looking at his clientele he has to see this statistic coming. Not to be rascist, profilistic, any of this, but come on.

Sometimes it is just about doing the right thing.

Managers do the thing right, leaders do the right thing.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    don scares me. Bradis has the better prices and they will match anyones price... (atleast they used too)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    As far as the Brady statistics, alot of Indianapolis stores are listed on it, very close to the top. I have a feeling its not that Indiana is violent, but that a lot of guns bought here are used in other cities (coughChicagocough). I have a feeling the only reason Plainfield is on there is due to his volume of sales. Guns are even straw purchased, but if the other guy (who cant have the gun) is somewhere else (not in the store), its impossible for the store owner to know. What I would like a study on is where guns are purchased that are used in crimes, but compiled in with WHERE the crime is committed. I have a feeling we would see alot of out of town or state crimes.

As dirty as it makes me feel, I have a feeling Don sells guns to folks that can have them. However, the guns are either stolen from the owners (the area in which he does business is really bad, so I would imagine theft being an issue), sent to someone else out of state or bought as a straw situation. While I dont feel there is concrete evidence that Don sells DIRECTLY to criminals (I have to add this now), the guns end up in the hands of criminals as the purchaser is a criminal by assistance, not by actual criminal deed (purchaser sells gun to criminals, not actually using it in a crime). I actually wonder how many "community" guns are purchased from Don's?

On a similar note: My fear is that one day someone may use a gun I sold them in a crime, tracking it back to me. While I would probably be innocent on the premise that we arent a registration state, its frightening to think that something I sold to someone or someone bought from me, then resold to someone less scrupulous would happen (not saying anyone I sold it is a criminal or criminally minded, except AllenM :D:D:D:D Gotta pick on him sometime!)

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Not defending anyone's business practices, but let's not fall into the ANTI's trap here. Crime is the fault of the person committing the crime, not the person who enabled it. Remember Gun's don't kill people.

Don's store is located in the hood, and if the hood rats get their guns there, it's not Don's fault they use them for crimes.

Unless he's illegally selling crates of machine guns to the mafia, he's in the clear here. To argue otherwise is to say anyone who's house gets burglarized is responsible for the crimes committed with their stolen weapons. That's simply not true.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    IMHO, if Don can sell his guns for the prices he has on them, more power to him. I would rather shop around for the best price. I doubt that he forces anyone to buy from him.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Well.......

Aside from the crazy high prices, ludacris rules, ****** staff with a pushy attitude into having you buy something, and the fact they are just plain rude, nothing I suppose. But I myself prefer to stay far away from there.:D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I think that if I make it to Indianapolis again, I'll have to stop in there, just to see what the fuss is about.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Death is just another beginning. I don't wish it, but neither do I fear it.

Sometimes curiosity is worth a bit of risk.

Top Bottom