Dont know a lot on pistols, what is a good gun to carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    My EDC is a Ruger LCP, it just disappears in my pocket. It's easy to carry, accurate and reliable. Some may say its only a 380 but I have no reservations about carrying it. That being said, there are some great 9mm available. I have shot an LC9 and a Kel Tec PF9. I liked them both and have been tempted to get the Kel Tec and probably will.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What is your main drawback with your XD you currently have: the barrel length, grip length, weight...? I am assuming you have the full size version. If you do have the full size version then I would suggest looking at the XD9sc since you are familiar with the weapon. There have been many fine suggestions in this thread and any one of them would work great, it is just up to you to decide what is best for you.

If that is still too large, the Kahr cw9 is a nice lightweight carry piece and very slim.

I would also suggest sticking with the 9mm caliber since you already have one handgun chambered for it and it is cheaper than the .380.
    Just my :twocents:
    Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    Since you already have a 9mm, why not try the Ruger LC9. It's a little bigger than their LCP, but it is a great gun for it's size. I have one and love it. Hope this helps.

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    My larger carry is a sig p239 SAS in .40 s&w., single stack, slim design, easy to pull, and it gives me all the features of the p226 that I know and love!

My slightly smaller carry is a ruger lcr in .357 mag (buffalo bore, short barrel, CHP).

Love 'em both so much, sometimes I carry both! You can go for head shots with the sig, but aiming for body mass with the lcr.

Opinion actual cash value: 1/100 cent

Try everything and see what flips your fancy!

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Before you decide on a sub compact glock, see if you can get a good grip on it to draw from a holster.

The problem I had with those was that I couldn't get a grip on them to draw with very easily, even though they shot great.

Stepping up to the normal compact size gave me the added size to consistently draw, and still be totally concealable.

Thanks for reminding me! This is what I tell everyone. You can't make a Glock 19 a Glock 26, but you can make a Glock 26 a Glock 19. For me, I picked the Glock 26 because in the Fall I can put the Glock 19 mag. in and in the Winter I can put a Glock 17 mag. in. Or you can add a pinky ext. which can add +2 9mm rounds. You can do this with Springfield and S&W models as well I think... The Glock 26 is just as accurate as the Glock 17. The same can be said for any handgun. It's up to the shooter to do his/her job.

Just something to think about...

Let us know what you decide.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    In 9mm, I go with a Kel-Tec P11 or a Beretta Nano (whenever my wife doesn't have it first). I've gotten over 500 rds. on the Nano, so it's now approved for EDC, though it has never had any problems to begin with. But, the gun YOU want to carry is something with which you're comfortable and it goes boom when you absolutely need it to.

bhyman9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    I have had multiple carry guns but I agree with everyone saying it really depends on what you get comfortable with. Recently I have carried anything from my LC9 to my NAA mini 22 mag revolver. For what I do all day I've found the 22 mag revolver is the most comfortable and at 7 yds very accurate for me. I always have the other calibers very close in other spaces just in case. Only my opinion though.

todd river

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Again, carry something that you're comfortable with...and since you will be trusting it with your life it should be something you're proficient with....that requires a lot of practice and ammo

I carry a full size beretta, but that's a full size gun....try something like a Glock 19....it's about the most popular world wide carry pistol.....it's a "mid-sized" gun....a step down from full size and step of from sub-compact....many makers put out "mid-sized" or compact models...but if you still feel they are too big then look into sub-compacts.......

That is exactly what I did. Although I preferred the glock 45 caliber, but
    a very large pistol. After buying the glock 19 & I bought a pocket pistol
    a ruger lcp. Watch out it becomes an addiction. ;)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Pick what works for you, but remember to factor in the cost of ammo to properly train with the pistol. I have known several folks that got .380s for their size and carried them routinely for several years withhold putting 200 rds through them due to the cost of ammo.

Also, night sights (or the ability to readily add night sights) would be a real plus. I am trying to find them now for a LC9 and wish I had thought to look into the options before purchasing. I love the gun, but it looks like only Big Dots are readily available.

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    What is a Good Gun to Carry

It may seem redundant, but carry whatever you feel confident with.

If you have confidence in it you will shoot better.

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 loaded with Corbon Pwrballs at times.

I also carry a Ruger SR9c 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense ammo at times.

Use good ammo and make good shot placement. :draw:

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I carry a stoger couger compact it is a 9mm. I can conceal it really easily and I'm a smaller guy. It functions just like a beretta 92 and use to be made by Barrett's where it cost 800$ now that it's made in Turkey it cost only 400$. I have carried it for a year and love it never had a malfunction or trouble concealing

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a springfield 9mm i keep at the house but dont really want to carry a gun that size. Ive always been more into rifles but would like a smaller gun to carry, what does everyone recommend? I hear alot of people say .380 but kinda wonder if it wouldnt be wise to go with something a little bigger.

Check out a Smith & Wesson 642 or 442 (if you think you'd be interested in a wheel gun). ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A vote for any J frame Smith and Wesson here. I love my 1911's, my CZ's, My Sig 226's but.....When it comes to carry it's mighty hard to beat 5 for sure.

The first rule is to always have a gun and with the climate we have in Indiana (especially here on the river) a lightweight J frame is just so much easier to carry when you need to just grab and go.

My two cents (which my sister in law once told me is actually worth two s&^%'s instead of two cents) but what the heck.:twocents:

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A Glock 19 and Diamondback db9 are my Winter / Summer duo. I enjoy carrying the Glock. It is by no means difficult in shorts and a tee, but a 15 oz loaded package of 6+1 never ceases to amaze me.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I just make sure the one I carry is the one thats loaded.I mostly carry a judge openly,but if I feel the need to conceal I carry a 327 mag revolver.Thats a bad little round by the way.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I know this thread is older but my 2 cents are that i carry a diamond back .380 primarly and then I have a springfield xd .45 compact in the car that i sometimes switch out and carry instead. THe crossbreed holster for the springfield is quite comfortable to wear for long periods but since i am not able to carry on a college campus with out risking explustion then i opt not to put that on in the morning and chose the smaller pocket pistol.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Smith and Wesson 500 magnum. If you're going to carry, carry something that will do the job.

Mattmh3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Yeoman
    I chose a Kahr CW45 for my carry gun. A light and thin gun with a 6+1 mag. Only weighs in at about a pound and a half loaded. 3.64 inch barrel that is very easy to control. And it has a nice smooth DAO trigger.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Being that I love the Springfield XD series (the 9mm 4" service model =D) and I also love what I prefer to carry concealed (Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm), maybe you'll share that liking? Try a Shield, it feels great in the hand, doesn't kick hardly at all and is good and thin for IWB

Sole reason I refuse to shoot .380 is the cost of ammo. I mean come the F on, no reason it should cost more than a more potent round (9mm). Honestly! If you're fine with the .380, it'll put a stop to a bad guy (or at least do damage!)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom