• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've commented on two other threads about my experience with this so far, so it seems worth having its own thread. People who want a good pistol for concealed carry seem torn between concealability and magazine capacity, but I've found that both can be had. I've found at the only true limiting factor for concealed carry is the barrel length. When barrel lengths are passing 4.5" then there is the problem of it poking through the pant seat when one sits down and possibly becoming unseated from one's belt. Most IWB holsters I've seen will accommodate a 4" barrel no problem. I carry an XDM-9 3.8" full-size mag (19 rds) in a "crossbreed" style IWB. I've got a decent sized frame (220 lbs, 5'11", 38" waist) but I've got a friend with a smaller frame (150 lbs, 5'7", 30" waist) and he CCs an M&P-9 full size (4.25") without any difficulty. Also the ergonomic benefits of most full-size versions of any pistol line is IMO superior to that of the compact, and it helps to retain that as much as possible.

Just my :twocents: What're everyone else's thoughts?

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've always thought one should carry the largest handgun they can reasonably manage.

Sound advice for all, which is the point of this thread. People should pick the largest pistol, caliber, and capacity they feel they can carry (which is higher than most people tend to estimate for themselves). Most compacts and even subs cost as much (or more) than their full-size cousins. Might as well get more bang for your buck! pun intended

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I've commented on two other threads about my experience with this so far, so it seems worth having its own thread. People who want a good pistol for concealed carry seem torn between concealability and magazine capacity, but I've found that both can be had. I've found at the only true limiting factor for concealed carry is the barrel length. When barrel lengths are passing 4.5" then there is the problem of it poking through the pant seat when one sits down and possibly becoming unseated from one's belt. Most IWB holsters I've seen will accommodate a 4" barrel no problem. I carry an XDM-9 3.8" full-size mag (19 rds) in a "crossbreed" style IWB. I've got a decent sized frame (220 lbs, 5'11", 38" waist) but I've got a friend with a smaller frame (150 lbs, 5'7", 30" waist) and he CCs an M&P-9 full size (4.25") without any difficulty. Also the ergonomic benefits of most full-size versions of any pistol line is IMO superior to that of the compact, and it helps to retain that as much as possible.

Just my :twocents: What're everyone else's thoughts?
    Well, one thing is for certain. The fatter one is the harder it is to conceal a full sized handgun...I know from personal experience. I'm not a lard-butt, but I am not a thin as I used to be, and have had to adjust what gun I carry and how I carry it. JMHO.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I use a nice Galco IWB for a full size 1911, no problems here. Just a matter of wearing in the right spot to get used to it. I m not large by no means-5 10, 200lbs-so it can be done. It is pushing the limits though. Maybe next step will be a bobtail.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've always thought one should carry the largest handgun they can reasonably manage.

Agreed.

I also don't think folks should carry any handgun that they wouldn't take through a 1-day pistol course as their primary carry gun. If excuses pop up like "well it isn't comfortable to shoot for long periods" or "it digs into my hand" then you probably aren't training and practicing enough with it to be proficient.

Somewhere along the line I realized that shooting my Glock 19 in class and then carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT on the street was stupid. Now I carry a full-size M&P9 and have no problems doing so. It's the same gun I shoot in training classes and the same gun I practice with at home.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, one thing is for certain. The fatter one is the harder it is to conceal a full sized handgun...I know from personal experience. I'm not a lard-butt, but I am not a thin as I used to be, and have had to adjust what gun I carry and how I carry it. JMHO.

Agreed. A year ago I was 275lbs, 42" waist and it was more difficult CCing my XD45 compact with just the 10 round mag. I had to holster my XD before buckling up and had to suck it in for sure. If I ever had to draw it, I would have to suck it in again to re-holster it. I've dropped 50lbs since (35 more to go) as well as as 4" off my waist. I'm currently 223lbs, 38" waist and CCing has gotten immensely easier as it allows my shirt to hang more loosely over my waist allowing me to carry my XD45 with the 13 rd mag with ease. Slimming down has also enhanced the manner in which I can draw my pistol from concealment. Physical fitness has benefits beyond lower cholesterol! :rockwoot:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    in my thoughts a heavy steel framed full size is the way to go, but i dont mind the weight. in my theory if i have to i can use it as a club. i don't have a problem with polymer guns but they feel strange to me. :twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've always found thickness harder to conceal than length. I CC'd a gov't size 1911 for years. Today I cc either a Sig P220 or a 3" GP100 every day. With a decent holster and belt, its not tough to do and its not uncomfortable.

I've got the GP100 in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB on as I sit here typing this and I can't even feel that its there.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    While I agree with your premise of carrying a full size pistol I do not find barrel length but grip size to be the limiting factor. When concealing my Glock 34 the barrel rides fine the butt sticks out.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    While I agree with your premise of carrying a full size pistol I do not find barrel length but grip size to be the limiting factor. When concealing my Glock 34 the barrel rides fine the butt sticks out.

Gee, that's why some people shorten their grips on a full-size gun. ;)

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Weight of the person does make it more difficult. I am fairly thin, and still try to wear slightly larger fitting clothing. I care a mediums size pistol.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    If your butt sticks out too far maybe you need to go on a diet!

It really is hard to beat a full size 1911 and a pancake holster for both firepower and conceal-ability. Best wintertime carry on the planet.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I first started carrying a Glock 27, and can shoot it well enough, but have since moved on to carrying a Glock 23, which I can shoot slightly better than the 27 (now), and feel like it still conceals well. For a time I tried carrying a Glock 20, but always felt that it could be seen. Maybe folks wouldn't know exactly what it was, but it made me feel uncomfortable, so I started carrying a Glock 29 instead. I have finally settled on carrying the 23 during warmer weather, and a Glock 29 when it is cold and I am wearing heavier clothing.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I've carried my Sig P 220 in a CB ST on many occasions. Pretty easy to conceal. All you need to do is dress around the gun

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Agreed. A year ago I was 275lbs, 42" waist and it was more difficult CCing my XD45 compact with just the 10 round mag. I had to holster my XD before buckling up and had to suck it in for sure. If I ever had to draw it, I would have to suck it in again to re-holster it. I've dropped 50lbs since (35 more to go) as well as as 4" off my waist. I'm currently 223lbs, 38" waist and CCing has gotten immensely easier as it allows my shirt to hang more loosely over my waist allowing me to carry my XD45 with the 13 rd mag with ease. Slimming down has also enhanced the manner in which I can draw my pistol from concealment. Physical fitness has benefits beyond lower cholesterol! :rockwoot:

I'm in the same boat. I have gained way too much over the years. I can't even imagine carrying anything else beside my Shield. I have to suck it in just to see my holster. Going on a diet and exercise plan. Got real embarrassing yesterday at the conservation club.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I carry and train all year round with a FS M&P. Had some self inflicted issues initially because I was too cheap to get a quality belt and holster. Investing in a good quality carry system made the task a lot easier. There are a few occasions where I have to change my attire slightly but nothing major and typically nothing that would make me not carry or carry off body.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've always found thickness harder to conceal than length.

I agree. I used to carry a Browning Hi Power and it was very comfortable, 5" barrel and all. Heavy though. I have since learned the virtues of a good belt. Yesterday I wore my full size 1911 around in a pancake holster trying to get the rig broke in. Mowed the grass, played with the kids, no problems concealing the gun other then the grip sticking out a bit. Which brings us to......

Yep the grip can be a problem. Which is really the purpose behind many of the compacts that can be adapted to accept full size mags. An example of this being the XDm 3.8 compact.

Personally I feel that the Glock 19/23 and 4.25" M&P FS pistols are about the perfect compromise between size, weight, concealment and shootability. That said there are times that it is hard to beat the convenience of a J Fame. ;)

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I think I picked a good time to start carrying. I have been losing weight for a little over a year and instead of having to buy smaller pants I've found that putting my SR9 inside the waist band, currently in a remora, fills that new found space rather nicely. Little to no printing and comfortable all day.

Top Bottom