• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    For a few years I carried a 92FS-then my only handgun. I really didn't carry a lot so it wasn't a big deal. Then picked up my GP 100 and carried that for awhile. Those were strictly CC guns because at the time I wasn't comfortable OPing.

Now I mainly carry a G19, usually OWB and sometimes shoulder holster. Will soon make the jump to my G20 SF and that will be a strictly OC gun.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Well, one thing is for certain. The fatter one is the harder it is to conceal a full sized handgun...I know from personal experience. I'm not a lard-butt, but I am not a thin as I used to be, and have had to adjust what gun I carry and how I carry it. JMHO.

Well, I going to have to a disagree with you; unless you are wearing clothes that are too tight, a large man should not have any trouble hiding a handgun. While I'll admitt that I'm way over-weight; I can carry a full-sized 45 (XDm-45) in a pancake holster (or Crossbreed). I normall wear 'cigar' shirts or my shirt tail out, and have no problem keeping the gun hidden (my wife checks on me).

Just my :twocents:... Grizhicks

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. A year ago I was 275lbs, 42" waist and it was more difficult CCing my XD45 compact with just the 10 round mag. I had to holster my XD before buckling up and had to suck it in for sure. If I ever had to draw it, I would have to suck it in again to re-holster it. I've dropped 50lbs since (35 more to go) as well as as 4" off my waist. I'm currently 223lbs, 38" waist and CCing has gotten immensely easier as it allows my shirt to hang more loosely over my waist allowing me to carry my XD45 with the 13 rd mag with ease. Slimming down has also enhanced the manner in which I can draw my pistol from concealment. Physical fitness has benefits beyond lower cholesterol! :rockwoot:
    Fact! Seriously guys. Heart disease is more likely to kill you than a criminal. (especially if you carry and train) Thus, please follow FirebirdDS lead if you're over weight.

I've always found thickness harder to conceal than length. I CC'd a gov't size 1911 for years. Today I cc either a Sig P220 or a 3" GP100 every day. With a decent holster and belt, its not tough to do and its not uncomfortable.

I've got the GP100 in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB on as I sit here typing this and I can't even feel that its there.

While I agree with your premise of carrying a full size pistol I do not find barrel length but grip size to be the limiting factor. When concealing my Glock 34 the barrel rides fine the butt sticks out.
    Agreed. Barrel length doesn't have much to do with it. I have no issues concealing a 5" government model 1911 or a FS M&P, and I'm a small guy.
    If your butt sticks out too far maybe you need to go on a diet!

It really is hard to beat a full size 1911 and a pancake holster for both firepower and conceal-ability. Best wintertime carry on the planet.

Winter carry?? Why does your gun change with the season?

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    In the winter the thicker clothes readily accommodate the carry of a G17 the vast majority of the time, and typically even allow me to CC the G17 in a Safariland holster that also allows a weapon light to be attached, adding a bonus removable backup EDC light and ability to remain drawn and light on a threat and handle a phone to summon 911, without needing to grown a third hand. In the summer the grip tends to print pretty heavily (though not as much since switching to lower sitting J clips on my hybrid holster) as I often wear fewer thinner layers.

There is also the deepness of concealment to be considered, I regularly OC, so often times if the shirt rides up and falls behind the gun it's not a huge deal, then there's times that that's a serious concern, and times that it becomes flat unacceptable. Pocketing a G17 and CC just isn't going to happen for me, however with a G27 there's times that's a valid option but there's some bulge to it which can be minimized removing the CT laser grip, then there's times where it needs to be the P3AT so that it really is not a visible thought, it's the better than nothing option. The G27 on that list is the only one I'd consider for ankle duty.

Many of these factors have to do with where I intend to be, their policy on firearms, my desire to be there and likely consequences if spotted carrying, and what if any steps are taken that would out someone carrying. All three guns have their place in the lineup and all three see regular carry in a select handful of different methods and locations. I also tend to carry more than one gun, often going as big as I am able to conceal at the appropriate level that day, and the next gun down, in alternate location is the BUG, and even then there's still times I'll throw a 3rd into the mix just for accessibility options. And I do understand the benefits of matching calibers in the Glocks, but in the current ammo shortage I am reminded that my intentional caliber diversity has other benefits in finding ammo to keep training and shooting (Though it would be nice to add a G26 and G23 to the lineup).

A good belt and the selection of wardrobe surrounding also play huge factors into comfort and conceal-ability, days I need a dress belt my options thin, days I can wear a 1.75" wilderness style belt with a polymer insert, my comfort factor improves to almost no limit on what I can carry around all day. Much of the time I have the luxury of being in a position where I can dress around the gun, but there's non-casual interactions, that require certain expectations of dress to remain blended with the crowd, that make concealing more difficult, again dictating options.

Also keeping an eye on this thread as a P226 has been calling me off and on the last year or so (and moreso in the last few weeks), a few experiences of people commenting on how they can EDC it, may just push me over the edge.

Considering that crime will never go away, the next ideal would be to carry a rifle all the time, however that can get cumbersome, not to mention the social issues (including all those youtube videos of Officer interactions); the next best would be an SBR, less cumbersome, but the .gov and media has made them excessively expensive and difficult to convey to a jury that they are defensive in nature, so the next best is a large handgun, then a slightly more compact and then a true subcompact. Steadily making sacrifices in capacity (outside of unconstitutional AWB states) and barrel length/sight radius/muzzle velocity as one works down the list.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Interesting thread, in the old days always carried a full size handgun when possible (i.e. shirt out or jacket), starting with a 4" M29 with "45 Long Colt" loads, then a Colt 1911 that I was shooting ISPC, then a W. German SIG P220 plus a few 9mms (like the M92 but up to shoot on safety is backwards and too hard to re-learn when you are 60 and still shoot 1911s ;-). Now playing with a FNX45T, which with 15 rounds of 45ACP combines big bullets with high cap mags and a STI Lawman 9mm (issues with left hand that don't do heavy recoil / hard slides well ... too much bone on bone contact).

All that said, now days don't doe the shirt untucked (at my age it tends to be assumed carry and just don't unless a polo shirt, maybe) so been looking at something a little more than the Colt Pony (DAO) for the pocket carry (dress) or the S&W J frame when a full size does not fit.

Bottom line one really needs three every day side arms, a pocket carry when nothing else works, a full size gun (or possible a good compact like a Glock 19 or USP Compact) that gives up little to the full size gun and then something smaller that is still larger than a pocket gun.

However, one could get buy nicely with a Glock 19 or a USP Compact and a Kahr 9mm ... but what fun is just two ;-).

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've learned that width is more important that length, also. I've carried a full-sized steel Baby Desert Eagle with 17 rounds for decades that I often forget is there. It's very slender, and a good belt/holster makes you forget about the weight.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    LOL, it's not what you carry, but HOW you carry.

Once stood with a group of friends talking about 30 mins. or so, discussing CC'ing. We inevitably got to the subject of carrying larger handguns.

One member of the discussion 'insisted' that in order not to be 'spotted' carrying one HAD to carry a small handgun (back then, anything over a .380 was 'too big' by this guy's definition).

Another of the group said "So, you don't believe anyone could carry a full-size handgun without being 'made?". "Nope, the first guy said. I'd spot it in a second".

At that point, I opened my shirt to reveal the SAME handgun I'd been carrying around the first guy for 5 years: S&W Mdl. 29, 8-3/8" bbl. Kinda fun to see the look on his face, LOL.

Five years and this self-professed 'expert' never knew I even carried a gun, let alone a 'hunting-sized' .44 mag. So much for armchair 'experts'.

BTW, I'm 5'11" and my entire life I've been in the 155 - 165 lb. range (holidays 'get' me every time, LOL!).

IF you're willing to 'adapt' a bit to what you want to carry, you CAN carry it.

Have carried, and known other friends to carry MP5's, Universal Firearms .30 carbines (.30 carbine cut down to a pistol), Calico 9mm rotary magazine pistols, Bushmaster & Sig Sauer .223 pistols, even pistol-grip shotguns, ALL concealed. It CAN be done IF you WANT to do it. WITHOUT being the guy wearing a full-length leather trench in 90 degree heat.

IF you're just going to hold steadfast to an attitude of "I ONLY use an IWB holster" or "I REFUSE to dress around my gun" or "I ONLY OC 'cause it's 'more comfortable'" (a complete fallacy, period), then that's your prerogative, of course. But you're ALSO giving up innumerable options for carrying a handgun.

It's NOT what you carry, it's how you carry it.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    LOL, it's not what you carry, but HOW you carry.

Once stood with a group of friends talking about 30 mins. or so, discussing CC'ing. We inevitably got to the subject of carrying larger handguns.

One member of the discussion 'insisted' that in order not to be 'spotted' carrying one HAD to carry a small handgun (back then, anything over a .380 was 'too big' by this guy's definition).

Another of the group said "So, you don't believe anyone could carry a full-size handgun without being 'made?". "Nope, the first guy said. I'd spot it in a second".

At that point, I opened my shirt to reveal the SAME handgun I'd been carrying around the first guy for 5 years: S&W Mdl. 29, 8-3/8" bbl. Kinda fun to see the look on his face, LOL.

Five years and this self-professed 'expert' never knew I even carried a gun, let alone a 'hunting-sized' .44 mag. So much for armchair 'experts'.

BTW, I'm 5'11" and my entire life I've been in the 155 - 165 lb. range (holidays 'get' me every time, LOL!).

IF you're willing to 'adapt' a bit to what you want to carry, you CAN carry it.

Have carried, and known other friends to carry MP5's, Universal Firearms .30 carbines (.30 carbine cut down to a pistol), Calico 9mm rotary magazine pistols, Bushmaster & Sig Sauer .223 pistols, even pistol-grip shotguns, ALL concealed. It CAN be done IF you WANT to do it. WITHOUT being the guy wearing a full-length leather trench in 90 degree heat.

IF you're just going to hold steadfast to an attitude of "I ONLY use an IWB holster" or "I REFUSE to dress around my gun" or "I ONLY OC 'cause it's 'more comfortable'" (a complete fallacy, period), then that's your prerogative, of course. But you're ALSO giving up innumerable options for carrying a handgun.

It's NOT what you carry, it's how you carry it.

Had a local restaurant that use to eat at twice a day just before getting married. Knew the manager and we were sitting there at closing and he was talking about guns and really liked the S&W M29. Said I had one, one thing lead to another and he said to bring it in, I said ok and since the store was closed, lifted my shirt and took it out, cleared it and handed it to him (untucked shirt 30+ years ago). The look on his face was great. Of course still had the aluminum J frame that I have when I am not carrying ....

Either in this thread, new thread or PM, would be interested in carry methods. I am assuming the 8" N Frame was a shoulder holster and would guess the MP5 (full size or MP5K?) was under a jacket of some type ... but will be looking forward to the details.

Thanks!

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    "Mirror Image" two Glocks. G19, left side, G21 right side. Pocket T shirt w/ one size larger button down either in plaid or darker color. I do like denim work shirts(2 flap pockets) or Hawaiian style w/ cargo shorts.

Definitely need a double thick nylon- operator style belt to carry weight of firearms. Sometimes carry an LCP in the front pocket for laughs and giggles, tactical knife in opposite pocket w/ clip on pocket.
    Both holsters are On waist style for the Glocks. "New York Reload" style at it's best.

No clinking, no leather squeaking, try to keep my overhead lifting at a minimum when armed for" carrying". Never been made in a store, or mall. Mind my own business, don't create a situation. Wifey shakes her head after we return home, and the "Iron" goes into storage.

With the crazies out there, you never know...

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    "Mirror Image" two Glocks. G19, left side, G21 right side. Pocket T shirt w/ one size larger button down either in plaid or darker color. I do like denim work shirts(2 flap pockets) or Hawaiian style w/ cargo shorts.

Definitely need a double thick nylon- operator style belt to carry weight of firearms. Sometimes carry an LCP in the front pocket for laughs and giggles, tactical knife in opposite pocket w/ clip on pocket.
    Both holsters are On waist style for the Glocks. "New York Reload" style at it's best.

No clinking, no leather squeaking, try to keep my overhead lifting at a minimum when armed for" carrying". Never been made in a store, or mall. Mind my own business, don't create a situation. Wifey shakes her head after we return home, and the "Iron" goes into storage.

Is the purple implied here???

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN

:n00b: :facepalm:

RFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    West side Indy
    I carry a 1911 in the winter. never felt like i needed something smaller unless the weather was too warm for a jacket then i switch to a smaller pistol

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm sorry but if I can't save my own life with a CM9 and spare 7 round magazine or my G27 with a spare 9 rounder, then I'm probably not going to get it done with a full size carry gun.

A) I refuse to wear baggy clothes, flannel button downs, and jackets for the rest of my life

B) I don't live in Somalia, South Africa, Vietnam, or Afghanistan.

To the people saying they are 5'10", 155 lbs carrying Remington 870s in their pants comfortably...great for you. I'm 6', 160 and there is no way I could do that comfortably and without obviously printing. YMMV

d012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    I agree with the full-size carry option. The individual needs to try all sizes and holsters to get the right fit.

Top Bottom