• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Just after Christmas I ordered a DPMS .308 upper from their website. I was told that the wait could be as much as a year which sucks but none of my locals had this product. I just called because my order now shows as "cancel" on their website. They cancelled the order for the upper without telling me. I asked why, the guy said "We will not be manufacturing this product or most products like it for the foreseeable future." Huh. Imagine that. He also told me that the two magazines I ordered *may* be cancelled as well because my order date was right on top of the cutoff for large-capacity magazine orders. Color me shocked. They'll never see another penny from me.

-Dobber

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I doubt it's turning tail. It's much more likely that they're waiting to see what happens with upcoming legislation.

It is a terrible business move to keep manufacturing things that may be outlawed soon. Then, they're stuck with a whole lot of stock with no way of recouping the costs of manufacturing them.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I doubt it's turning tail. It's much more likely that they're waiting to see what happens with upcoming legislation.

It is a terrible business move to keep manufacturing things that may be outlawed soon. Then, they're stuck with a whole lot of stock with no way of recouping the costs of manufacturing them.

They don't have any stock to get stuck with right now. They could sell uppers/barrels/magazines as fast as they could make them right now. In my opinion the terrible business move is not continuing production to keep your long-time customers satisfied and meeting market demand. Ridiculous.

-Dobber

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Or they are just going break neck speed making 5.56, they don't want to have to change any setups or anything to make .308 stuff when they can make more $$$ with no change overs.

Just a thought.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I agree you are not seeing the big picture and dont know what they are currently set up for or selling. I do know the .308 is not their bread and butter. I had a great experiance with them and love my rifle a lot. I waited about eight months several years ago for my custom order. I would love to have a short LR308!

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I asked why, the guy said "We will not be manufacturing this product or most products like it for the foreseeable future."

You guys missed this line. I responded "You're not making any AR parts or equipment anymore?" To which he responded they "do not have the capability to produce parts or equipment of this type and will not for the forseeable future." which means: AR. Not AR10 or AR15...AR. The whole black rifle. I will say the customer service rep was happy and nice as could be. I could tell he had a smile on his face the whole time he was, essentially, telling me that DPMS doesn't care about the private consumer at this time. By the way, this isn't a vendetta against DPMS. I've got another soapbox that I'll be hopping up on as soon as I complete the next step in a different purchase scenario.

-Dobber

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    They are part of the Freedom Group. Along with Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin, etc.

I'm not sure what you're saying or implying here. Are you vying for their reputation because they're a member of this group or saying that they're following suit with their co-members? I'd never heard of the group before but just read the page....I'm a little skeptical of the motives and mission of the group.

-Dobber

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    No, please look up the group. They are terrible. They buy up gun manufacturers, gut them, and now they are turning tail and running. I've sworn off their products awhile ago. This also prevents me from buying an AAC suppressor.

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    i know if i owned company making guns or magazines id be adding another shift so i could clean up while everything is selling

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If DPMS stops making ARs then wouldn't they cease to exist? I don't think they make anything else.

Yes, thank you for injecting some rational discussion into the realm of INGO.:D

DPMS just sold their entire production run at SHOT.

Oh, noes! Now you'll be forced to buy a Colt, LMT, Les Baer or other quality AR instead of a crappy hobby gun! Won't the wife be happy?:laugh:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Alright, so if they said they don't have the capability of producing the AR platform, do you think that maybe one of their machines just broke and that they actually can't produce product?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    After Sandy Hook, Cerberus (who owns a lot of Freedom Group stock) announced they are selling.

Cerberus Selling Gunmaker Freedom Group - Business Insider

Due to current state of affairs, and uncertainty, any business would stop buying anything and start selling everything they had in stock. This puts them in a better cash position, to keep their stock price as high as possible, to weather the storm if need be.

browning84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    I know gander mtn is steadily getting some in.. I wonder if they are dpms and where are they getting them.. are any of these companies making them or just cleaning out the warehouses.??

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    It sounds like they may be prioritizing .223/5.56 over .308 right now. A business only has so many machines and people.

They will work through those back-orders first and then move to the .308 rifles.

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Just after Christmas I ordered a DPMS .308 upper from their website. I was told that the wait could be as much as a year which sucks but none of my locals had this product. I just called because my order now shows as "cancel" on their website. They cancelled the order for the upper without telling me. I asked why, the guy said "We will not be manufacturing this product or most products like it for the foreseeable future." Huh. Imagine that. He also told me that the two magazines I ordered *may* be cancelled as well because my order date was right on top of the cutoff for large-capacity magazine orders. Color me shocked. They'll never see another penny from me.

-Dobber

I placed an order with them back way back in December and got the same result. They canceled it. When I called to ask them why, basically all I got was "That's the way it is. Too bad." and a less than friendly response.

Definitely won't be going back to them anytime soon.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not sure what you're saying or implying here. Are you vying for their reputation because they're a member of this group or saying that they're following suit with their co-members? I'd never heard of the group before but just read the page....I'm a little skeptical of the motives and mission of the group.

-Dobber

Rather if you buy a Bushmaster, or a DPMS. They are the same rifle, just a different name stamped on the lower. So, if they are not going to produce DPMS AR's anymore, so what about Bushmaster? Seeing as they are owned by the same company. Don't turn it into a conspericy theory.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I had breakfast with Freedom Group president Scott Blackwell the other day (me and 300 of his closest friends, LOL). I'd share what he had to say about recent changes they have made and how they are positioned to move forward in the current market, but I'd hate to get in the way of a good conspiracy theory...

Top Bottom