• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    i got pulled over yesterday. the officer asked me 4 or 5 times if i had my firearm. he said it shows i have a permit and if i have my firearm while being pulled over tell the officer as soon as they approach.

If an officer asks you if you have a firearm, just respond with "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle" or you could choose to remain silent on that issue. In Indiana, you are not required to inform an officer that you are carrying if you get pulled over.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Where did I get my information? It's what I do for a living.

When an officer runs a driver's license through the Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS, the state-wide law enforcement computer system), that officer (most through their dispatcher) receive BMV information, a warrants/wants check in Indiana, a warrants/wants check nationally and, now, a return from the Indiana State Police Firearms Section as to that person's LTCH status.
    No disrespect but it's none of an officer's business if I have a LTCH.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Exactly. I won't make any guesses here but I'm willing to bet that those who have a LCTH, on average, own more inventory than those who do not. We're in a great state for gun owners but this is a tragic step in the wrong direction.

From NRA-ILA
    Thursday, May 12, 2011

In one of the most successful pro-gun legislative sessions in the Hoosier State’s recent history, the Indiana General Assembly passed and Governor Mitch Daniels signed into law five new NRA-supported firearm bills!

As of July 1, Hoosiers will:

*Be protected from employer anti-gun workplace discrimination;
    *Have the ability to purchase a long gun in any state that allows such sales;
    *Transport a firearm to a shooting range without a state-issued permit;
    *Know that wherever they travel throughout Indiana, the same firearm laws and freedoms apply evenly across local boundaries; and
    *Carry a loaded firearm on their person on off-road vehicles on private property.

They should now add:
    *Be added to a statewide, potentially national database of possibly hostile owners of firearms that took the time to pay a fee and submit to fingerprinting and a background check to carry them legally.

LEOs: What are the statistics on officers shot by citizens who have a LCTH? I'll tell you, too low to have reportable statistics. This is just one more way for us to be monitored. Police database today, public database tomorrow.
    +1!!!!

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    How did you respond to his questions?
    simply said i dnt have one but he kept asking
    If an officer asks you if you have a firearm, just respond with "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle" or you could choose to remain silent on that issue. In Indiana, you are not required to inform an officer that you are carrying if you get pulled over.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I generally have a gun on me and one in the console. That means I would have twice the chances of an ND during disarmament. That plus the hassle of having to reload two guns after he's gone.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I still say no, No, NO, and HECK NO!

If asked, I will be truthful. I will not offer the information without being asked, unless I am openly wearing the weapon on my hip. If he has a chance of inadvertently seeing it during the stop, I don't want him surprised, so I will inform. Otherwise, there is no reason to make him more nervous than he is.

To the OP, I also would like to know where you got this info.
    I agree. There is no reason to make a routine stop turn into anything more. If asked, I will be truthful every time. I just dont see the need to take chances and make the officer more jumpy than what is necessary. Most officers I have encountered are totally cool about handguns, but theres always the ones that feel like we dont need to be carrying guns and they give us a hard time and waste out time lecturing us. I would just rather stay quiet unless asked. Just my :twocents:

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    What's next? NFA registration with your DL? "Excuse me sir, you kinda rolled through that stop sign back there. Do you have an MP5 in your vehicle?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    is it only indiana or all states?

The discussion here is in reference to Indiana only.

There is disscussion about H.R. 822 (National reciprocity) and how each state would be able to verify an out of state LTCH. It is in the 2nd Amendment forum somewhere.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    +1 to this thread.

I live on the Michigan - Indiana border. So when I am north of the state line I have to inform, and I always figured that I would do things one way, everytime to prevent possible confusion on my own part. I apppreciate knowing about the automatic return of LTCH on the driver at a traffic stop. My wife and I have never gotten any hassle over a firearm, just informed to keep it holstered during the stop.

Going back to that automatic return though, seems assinine as the officer has already interacted with the driver. And it also doesn't account for any passengers that might be carrying with a valid permit either. I tend to agree that this just increases officer apprehension at a traffic stop.

And I would be extremely interested to see crime statistics on those that carry legally and compare them against the state and federal levels.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Yup! You're missing the entire issue. I don't give a s&$@ who knows I have a LTCH. It's the fact that the State of Indiana considers my exercising my right information a law enforcement officer should be automatically made aware of. Seems like they are trying to sensationalize the risk of citizens being armed. Now if IDACS were magical and could tell an officer there is a person in that car who intends on shooting you, then he'll yes I can see the overwhelming benefit. But to simply lump all LTCH persons into a group that officers should be aware of...bull hockey.
    Good point! This doesn't say anything about the 3 or more passengers that could also have a LTCH. Or the inverse where the driver doesn't have the LTCH and all other passengers do.

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I always inform them upon they walking up to my car. I have nothing to hide so I figure I will do whatever to make their life easier. They are out to protect and serve and fortunately I have had a bad run in yet...Plus I don't mind sitting in the front seat of a police car!! I have actually found that you can talk to them while they are running your info and get really friendly and I have never been given a ticket for any of the stops.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I am with some other posters on this issue of offering info. I only answer questions, i do not offer info. One need not tell them anything, just answer their questions truthfully. There is a youtube vid titled, Do not talk to the police. It is two speeches, one by a lawyer, the other a police detective. They both agreed, the less said the better.

harleyindys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Southside Indy
    My Nephew got pulled over in Greenwood and before he even asked for his driver license he wanted to know if he had his gun in the car ,so when they ran is his license plate they already knew he had a permit .

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I generally have a gun on me and one in the console. That means I would have twice the chances of an ND during disarmament. That plus the hassle of having to reload two guns after he's gone.

See that's the foolishness of this whole thing, including officer's confiscating weapons from LTCH holders. The officer still has to make quite a few assumptions on the stop. He has to assume you're telling the truth about if you have a weapon in the car (which I contend that someone intending harm to the officer wouldn't confess to). Also, even if you hand over A gun, how do they know it's the only gun in the car. Now the officer has a false sense of security, assuming he's in control of the weapons in the situation, even though there could easily be more weapons in the car.

If the officer truly felt (from a reasonable articulable position) that the person was a danger to him, he should conduct a Terry stop, which includes cuffs and a patdown. Otherwise, the officer is just infringing on our rights and fooling himself.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    See that's the foolishness of this whole thing, including officer's confiscating weapons from LTCH holders. The officer still has to make quite a few assumptions on the stop. He has to assume you're telling the truth about if you have a weapon in the car (which I contend that someone intending harm to the officer wouldn't confess to). Also, even if you hand over A gun, how do they know it's the only gun in the car. Now the officer has a false sense of security, assuming he's in control of the weapons in the situation, even though there could easily be more weapons in the car.

If the officer truly felt (from a reasonable articulable position) that the person was a danger to him, he should conduct a Terry stop, which includes cuffs and a patdown. Otherwise, the officer is just infringing on our rights and fooling himself.

Here's the rub with that, though. If your LTCH is now being validated with your DL or plates, then that ends the discussion immediately. They have no legal position to stand on when it comes to asking questions about any firearms.

Valid LTCH pops up - boom, no further questions can legally be asked. If they do so anyway, they're automatically violating Richardson.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Here's the rub with that, though. If your LTCH is now being validated with your DL or plates, then that ends the discussion immediately. They have no legal position to stand on when it comes to asking questions about any firearms.

Valid LTCH pops up - boom, no further questions can legally be asked. If they do so anyway, they're automatically violating Richardson.
    Well actually, for us the LTCH pops up only when we run a driver's license. To get a driver's license, I would have to have already made contact with the driver first. The pop-up would come after I'm done talking to the driver and I'm back at my car.

Top Bottom