• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well . . . it depends.:D Sorry, I cannot help it, it's like ringing the bell.:D

Ok, let's wargame it out:

1. If you are prohibited person (felon, domestic batterer, substance abuser, etc.), yes you are breaking the law.

2. If the "firearm" stolen, yes you are breaking the law.

3. If the firearm is an untaxed Title II weapon, yes you are breaking the law.

4. Assuming arguendo that the firearm is NOT stolen, or untaxed Title II and you are not a prohibited person, then, no, you are not breaking the law.

5. If the firearm is a handgun and you do not have a LTCH, then yes you are breaking the law.

6. If you have a LTCH, and the firearm is a handgun, then you are not breaking the law.

The confusion lies in the use of the word "school". In Indiana schools are K-12, not junior colleges, trade schools, colleges and universities. People, in the day to day living as normal, decent human beings, use "school" broadly to include Purdue or IU.

That's the level of detail that my clients refer to "excessive", right before offering to pay me 65-70% of the invoiced amount.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ah, yes. I remember years ago when Massad Ayoob was pushing hard for a forerunner of that law. He said that if "we" helped all the guys with badges get the opportunity to carry nationwide, he and all of those guys would then help the rest of us get the same.

So LEOSA is a law now and . . . crickets chirping.

My axe! There's not much left . . .

Most Rank and file LE are in favor of reciprocal carry by Joe Civilians but they have not exactly had the best administration in place. Remember LEOSA was only 3 years old when the administration changed.

My intention was to just play a little Lawyer ball back at Kirk not get a flame thing going.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    WARNING HUMOR ATTEMPT*** so there Kirk

On #5 you can be off duty LEO and carry without a LTCH licence using only agency I'd under LEOSA as that does away with the need of a handgun permit/licence.

You can also carry a handgun without a LTCH if said handgun does not use a "fixed cartridge, fixed ammunition" ie a cap and ball or muzzle loading pistol. Or if said handgun was made before Jan 1 1899.

ETA here is the section of code, which brings another question or two.
    IC 35-47-2-19
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed
    to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made
    before January 1, 1899.

Fed code for a similar law(s) state made or remade, designed or redesigned, and explicitly do not include repros. Would a modern reproduction of a firearm made in 1898 or before qualify? And would a pistol that was sold as a cap and ball, that was remade into one that takes a fixed cartridge qualify under this exemption? For instance Cabelas sells a .45 cap and ball, they also sell a replacement cylinder that takes .45 LC... The pistol wasn't designed to take fixed ammunition, but it has been remade to do so.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    OK, now I'm curious. On what grounds could the university or college kick me out?

Let's assume I am
    a) Joe Citizen walking through, not a student or staff or contractor (I have no legal/contractual relationship with the univ/college).
    b) It is a state uni or college, like IU or Purdue, not a private one.
    c) I have license to carry a handgun

Can the uni or college make me leave if it comes to light, in some legal manner, that I am carrying, because there is a uni/college policy against it?

Does this change if I am a student (i.e. it sounds as if I can be expelled for violating the school policy)?

Good question, is there no trespass situation with public-owned property?

yes, as a "joe-blow" citizen with no connection to the university you can be given a trespass warning and prohibited from coming onto university property. I know of one instance where this has happened at PUC.
    As an employee, you could be fired for violating policy, given a trespass warning, and prohibited from coming onto the property. I know of an instance where this happened at PUC this week. It wasn't for firearms, but was still a violation of policy.
    As a student, you could be expelled, given a trespass warning, and prohibited from coming onto the property.
    State law (and I cannot find the correct IC since the rewrite) gives the board of trustees of the state schools the authority to set their own policy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most Rank and file LE are in favor of reciprocal carry by Joe Civilians but they have not exactly had the best administration in place. Remember LEOSA was only 3 years old when the administration changed.

My intention was to just play a little Lawyer ball back at Kirk not get a flame thing going.

Well, yeah, but I couldn't pass the opportunity!! HAHAHA!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well . . . it depends.:D Sorry, I cannot help it, it's like ringing the bell.:D

Ok, let's wargame it out:

1. If you are prohibited person (felon, domestic batterer, substance abuser, etc.), yes you are breaking the law.

2. If the "firearm" stolen, yes you are breaking the law.

3. If the firearm is an untaxed Title II weapon, yes you are breaking the law.

4. Assuming arguendo that the firearm is NOT stolen, or untaxed Title II and you are not a prohibited person, then, no, you are not breaking the law.

5. If the firearm is a handgun and you do not have a LTCH, then yes you are breaking the law.

6. If you have a LTCH, and the firearm is a handgun, then you are not breaking the law.

The confusion lies in the use of the word "school". In Indiana schools are K-12, not junior colleges, trade schools, colleges and universities. People, in the day to day living as normal, decent human beings, use "school" broadly to include Purdue or IU.

I thought you could drive with the handgun unloaded and locked in a case, without violating law, since the change that ended the prohibition on unlicensed transport? :scratch:

Top Bottom