• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What level of shooter are you? Has this system helped? It looks interesting.

Im classified as a Marksman in IDPA, and I typically place about 55-60% down the roster overall (if there were 100 shooters I would place 55-60th). Not the best, but not the worst...

I found it helped. I havent broken it out in a while. If I think about it and there are facilities at Proteq (like a clubhouse... it requires an indoor, not overly lit space), I might bring it along to play with this sunday if anybody wants to see how it works. They just released a major upgrade and I havent had a chance to see how it works now.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Im classified as a Marksman in IDPA, and I typically place about 55-60% down the roster overall (if there were 100 shooters I would place 55-60th). Not the best, but not the worst...

I found it helped. I havent broken it out in a while. If I think about it and there are facilities at Proteq (like a clubhouse... it requires an indoor, not overly lit space), I might bring it along to play with this sunday if anybody wants to see how it works. They just released a major upgrade and I havent had a chance to see how it works now.

Thanks.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I was reading somewhere that you should use snap caps when dry firing so you don't damage your gun. Is that true? How many of you use snap caps while dry firing?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Snap caps are required if the manufacturer indicates that the gun is not safe for dry fire. Even if dry fire is okay, they can be used but are optional.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Toying with the idea of buying a SIRT pistol and just dry firing the snot out of it while sitting there watching TV. I do it at times with my off-duty guns but with a dedicated dry-fire gun, it will get a lot of use and I'm not even talking about using the laser inside.
    That sounds like fun BUT the SIRT laser is a little intense and will reflect off the screen--and maybe into someone's eyes. Do you have a lot of squirrels in your back yard?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    When I was first introduced to dry fire I was told to balance a nickel on the front sight, then dry fire. The nickel should not fall.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I was first introduced to dry fire I was told to balance a nickel on the front sight, then dry fire. The nickel should not fall.

That is, of course, just one very small aspect of dry practice.

Most of what you can gain from dry practice has little to do with actually dry firing the gun. It's more about learning to draw and present consistent, acquire adequate visual information as quickly as possible, and train your brain to look first, then drive the gun into your line of sight.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have been wanting to do this for weeks after reading about it. I finally found some time tonight. I must say that it was rewarding and more than I initially thought it would be. I never practiced dry fire because I thought it was boring and well kind of silly, WRONG! My mindset has been shifting towards practical training and utilizing drills that work, this is an awesome start. Thank you for posting this.

Woody968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Great post I will try this soon.

As far as triggers are concerned are you better off dry firing with what you normally carry so that pull is most familiar or does it really matter? Or is there any benefit to using one that has a long stiff pull making it harder to control all the way through?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Definitely practice with what you expect to shoot. For most of us, that means our EDC. If you are into gun sports, then you will also want to dry fire practice those guns. The point is to develop good trigger control for your firearm, and different models can have very different trigger actions/weights. Some models, do have much heavier triggers and if that is what you have, you will obviously develop that strength practicing with it.

Woody968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Yea even with the few that I own the triggers vary quite a bit. I have also read about using a grip strengthening device (forget actual name) regularly to increase stability. I assume that is pretty solid advice?

Top Bottom