• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If I close my eyes and pretend I don't live in a police state will I be able to joke about real news too??

Yes, but when you open them you may well find that the East St. Louis thing is a test set up to establish a precedent somewhere that no one gives a damn what happens there (i.e., there are no 'pretty people' to p**s off) and this (and the lack of protest) will be held up in the future to demonstrate why this is OK in other places as well. No locals with any political influence, state of Illinois certainly isn't going to step up to the plate for liberty, and, voila, instant precedent! After that, one more flavor of police state coming soon to a community near you.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Hey, unbunch your panties.

This is an absolute travesty. Especially his absurd notion of 'probable cause'. I'm about as critical of the 'police state' around here as anyone.

They may take our freedom, but they'll never take our humor amirite!?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    EAST St Loius is in Illinois. Some time ago, the Mayor had to be Ordered by a Judge to move back to the city he supposedly governed or he could not run for reelection. (He lived in a cushy place in MO, across the river)

It is what Gary is to Chicago, a place to outsource its criminal element. ;)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This will be easily defeated. I imagine the ACLU is calling right now.
    Americans have a pretty good grasp of basic rights, and when some dummy tries to pull a stunt like this, the smackdown is usually already wound up.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    From the CBS link

I see red on the loiter squad cars with guns in them oh my!
    east-st-louis-police.jpg

And look is wearing plenty of bright red as he's defining probable cause
    img_4629.jpg

And here, they interview an 84 year old female wearing a blue Obama hat: Some cry foul over East St. Louis clothing ban : Stltoday

Not to mention this comes at the time of year when both the Cardinals and St Louis Blues are playing.

The stltoday link, also cited other attempts at similar laws in IL and around the country, that were struck down in quick fashion.

4 "young people" killed so lock down the "young people" and listening to the audio from the CBS link the Mayor is expecting your federal tax dollars to pay for more officers for his city, and wanting as many Federal law enforcement as he can get into the city.

And finally, the link where you can send the definition of probable cause to the mayor, on the cities partially functioning website: .:: Welcome to City of East St.Louis ::.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The town I grew up in in California, Thousand Oaks, ALWAYS had a curfew of 10 pm - 6 am for anyone under 18.

I don't remember the ACLU doing jack about it, ever.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Doesn't Indy already have a curfew for minors? Yep:

Chapter 381 - MINORS

Sec. 381-2. - Permitting minors to become loiterers.
    Sec. 381-101. - Curfew hours for children fifteen, sixteen and seventeen years of age.
    Sec. 381-102. - Curfew hours for children younger than fifteen years of age.
    Sec. 381-103. - Application.
    Sec. 381-104. - Enforcement.
    Sec. 381-105. - Curfew; responsibility of parent, guardian, or custodian.

Sec. 381-2. - Permitting minors to become loiterers.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for the proprietor, manager or other person having charge or control of any business or place of public resort to permit, allow or encourage any minor, which is not legally employed therein, to become a common loiterer in or around such place.
    (b)
    It shall be unlawful for any parent, guardian or other person having the custody or control of any minor to permit, allow or encourage such minor to become a common loiterer on any street, alley or other public place, or in any business or commercial establishment, or in any place of public resort.
    (Code 1975, § 20-94)
    Sec. 381-101. - Curfew hours for children fifteen, sixteen and seventeen years of age.

It is unlawful for a child fifteen (15), sixteen (16), or seventeen (17) years of age to be in a public place in the county at any time during the following curfew hours:

(1)
    Between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. on Saturday or Sunday;
    (2)
    After 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday; or
    (3)
    Before 5:00 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.
    (G.O. 101, 2000, § 1)
    Sec. 381-102. - Curfew hours for children younger than fifteen years of age.

It is unlawful for a child younger than fifteen (15) years of age to be in a public place in the county after 11:00 p.m. or before 5:00 a.m. on any day.

(G.O. 101, 2000, § 1)
    Sec. 381-103. - Application.

(a)
    Sections 381-101 and 381-102 of this chapter do not apply to a child who is:
    (1)
    Accompanied by the child's parent, guardian, or custodian;
    (2)
    Accompanied by an adult specified by the child's parent, guardian, or custodian;
    (3)
    With the consent of the child's parent, guardian, or custodian, either participating in, going to, or returning from:
    a.
    Lawful employment;
    b.
    A school-sanctioned activity;
    c.
    A religious event;
    d.
    An emergency involving the protection of a person or property from an imminent threat of serious bodily injury or substantial damage;
    e.
    An expressive, religious, or associational activity protected by either federal or state law, including but not limited to the free exercise of religion, freedom of speech, and the right of assembly;
    f.
    An activity conducted by a non-profit or governmental entity that provides recreation, education, training, or other care under the supervision of one (1) or more adults; or
    g.
    An activity undertaken at the written direction of the child's parent, guardian, or custodian;
    or,
    (4)
    Engaged in interstate or international travel from a location outside Indiana to another location outside Indiana.
    (b)
    No complaint shall be filed unless the officer reasonably believes that an offense has occurred under this section and that no defense exists for the alleged violation.
    (G.O. 101, 2000, § 1; G.O. 50, 2004, § 1)
    Sec. 381-104. - Enforcement.

(a)
    A child who commits a curfew violation under this chapter is subject to the enforcement procedures provided in IC 34-28-5-1. Whenever a complaint is filed against a child for a violation of this chapter, the city shall direct a copy of the complaint to the Juvenile Division of the Marion Superior Court, and to the child's parent, guardian, or custodian, if such person is known or can be identified by a reasonable inquiry.
    (b)
    In addition to the imposition of fines as provided in section 103-3 of the Code, the court upon request shall order such injunctive relief as is appropriate and necessary to prevent a child from committing further violations of this chapter.
    (G.O. 101, 2000, § 1)
    Sec. 381-105. - Curfew; responsibility of parent, guardian, or custodian.

It is unlawful for a parent, guardian or custodian of a child under the age of eighteen (18) years recklessly to cause, suffer, or allow that child to commit a curfew violation under this chapter. If a parent, guardian, custodian, or child is charged with a second or subsequent violation of this section or this chapter, there shall be a presumption that he or she is responsible under this section for the child's violation of this chapter.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    EAST St Loius is in Illinois. Some time ago, the Mayor had to be Ordered by a Judge to move back to the city he supposedly governed or he could not run for reelection. (He lived in a cushy place in MO, across the river)

It is what Gary is to Chicago, a place to outsource its criminal element. ;)

Hey now only us NWI INGOers can talk about Gary like that. :D

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    It was interesting growing up in East. St. Louis, and the comparison between it and NWI to Chicago is very apt. We cheered the Cardinals instead of Cubs/White Sox, and the Football Cards/Rams instead of the Bears. All the TV and virtually all the radio came from St. Loius and we knew more about Missouri politics and stories than we did Illinois.

But winning or losing, it is still my hometown and I feel badly for it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Despite RAMBONE's misleading title, this is not happening in ST LOUIS. The city of St Louis is in MISSOURI.

The curfews to which he is referring are occuring in the city of East St Louis, ILLINOIS.

As RAMBONE is the king of misleading titles it just needs to be made very clear that these police state actions are occuring in the PEOPLES REBUBLIK OF ILLINOIS, the same state that Obama is from, the same state that almost outlawed self-defense. This is not happening in gun friendly Missouri.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thanks for your vigilance melen. I didn't realize that 2 adjacent towns had the same name.

I like how you got that dig on Obama, very well played and accurate.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I once met a man (white guy) who runs a street mission in East St. Louis. Right in the heart of of it all. He's a gutsy guy who isn't afraid of anything and has a heart a mile wide. He was telling me about what happens at night there. Not surprised by this at all.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I once met a man (white guy) who runs a street mission in East St. Louis. Right in the heart of of it all. He's a gutsy guy who isn't afraid of anything and has a heart a mile wide. He was telling me about what happens at night there. Not surprised by this at all.

I say this often, but people that look like victims, all wide-eyed and scared, are typically the ones that end up... well, victims. What you project, is what you are. If you look like easy prey, don't wonder why it was you that looked tasty to the wolf.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    See, some people look at this type of thing as something bad, I look at it as a glimpse of what America will become if we continue to elect inept "leaders" to run the show. East St. Louis, Detroit, etc. etc. are all the same, and a microcosm of what the entire country is becoming. You cannot let the fox guard the hen house, it's an old saying, but too many people are too ****ing dumb to understand the meaning. Let it, and others like it rot. Soon enough, there will be nothing left to plunder, and the leeches will die, as there is no more blood to suck.

I don't see it as being something bad, just an attempt to return to civilization, which is probably 30 or 40 years too late.

Top Bottom