• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I'm looking into 1911's but there are so many i cant decide which are good and which are trash. Can you all please help me out?:draw:

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    ive got 1800. but i can go to 2000.

At that price point, you can go anywhere from high end Springfields, Kimbers, S&W "E" Series, or you can even get into some Ed Browns, Wilson Combats and other semi-custom 1911's as well. All come highly recomended, but pricing will also depend on what type of features you want as well.

I personally have a fully loaded S&W 1911 "E" Series w/ night sights, ambi safety (I'm a lefty), accessory rail, undercut trigger guard, front/rear 20LPI checkering, rear slide serations, etc. Its pretty much a topped out S&W 1911 with out sending it to S&W Performance center, and I got mine for around $1300-ish (I forgot exact price). Mine, so far has run flawless with FMJ's and JHP's, but I'm still testing with only about 125 rounds down the pipe.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You can get a nice Dan Wesson and have some money left over or you can get a Les Baer but if I had a max of 2K I would probably hunt for a used Wilson.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ive got 1800. but i can go to 2000.

Spend $1500 and buy the most modern, most well designed, but also the most non-traditional 1911. The Detonics MTX. Double stack 45acp, grip profile as thin as a single stack 1911, length of pull slightly shorter than a single stack so its actually easier to grip, deactivated grip safety with swept up beavertail allowing higher grip, altered grip geometry to reduce recoil, triple captured recoil spring assembly to reduce recoil, bushing-less coned target barrel, lightweight aluminum modular frame, undercut below the trigger guard is larger than any other undercut because its been redesigned to allow a higher grip on the gun . . . way too much to list but even the design of the hammer is evolutionary and has more human engineering designed into it that you can see in the photos. Its truly an astounding 1911 and I own many dozens of 1911 pistols...or I did before the tragic boating accident on Lake Michigan. It also the lowest recoiling 1911 that I've ever shot.

Detonics - Home

2-11.jpg

3-8.jpg

4-5.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Spend $1500 and buy the most modern, most well designed, but also the most non-traditional 1911. The Detonics MTX.

$1500, thats it?? Is that for the 3.5in or 5in?

I'd like to eventually get a 5in Detonics MTX if they make one, but I don't think I could part with my S&W 1911 "E" series. So, I gotta wait... Sigh, so many guns, not enough cash. :(

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    DETONICS!! With out a doubt. Great firearm for the money. I own 2 and they rank up at the top along with some of my 1911's. You won't be un-happy with that buy.. I had at least 27 different 1911's but lost all but the Detonics in that tragic boating accident.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    DETONICS!! With out a doubt. Great firearm for the money. I own 2 and they rank up at the top along with some of my 1911's. You won't be un-happy with that buy.. I had at least 27 different 1911's but lost all but the Detonics in that tragic boating accident.

And if you're really lucky they might still be in business next year.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And if you're really lucky they might still be in business next year.

OK for the record, Detonics is in its 4th factory under the 4th owner. Kimber has had at least 3 different changes of ownership. I've lost count with how many different owners have held the COLT name, ditto the Smith & Wesson brand name. How about Remington, they too have changed hands . . . as have Marlin, Bushmaster, Cobb, DPMS, H&F, NEF, Dakota Arms, ParaUSA, Barnes Bullets, L.C. Smith . . . shall I go on?

Ruger and Henry seem to be 2 companies that have not dramatically changed ownership over the years. I can think of no others.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I own two S&W 1911 PCs. They are excellent guns. VERY accurate, very well built.
    I also have a 1911 4.25" E Series. Also well built, but not as well as the PCs. But it was about $500 less.
    I have a Kimber Raptor II. It's an excellent 1911. Very near the quality of the S&W 1911's.
    At your price range you can get a very good weapon.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If you want a quality 1911, I suggest you stay in the families of Springfield, Kimber, or Colt. You can't go too far wrong with a purchase from one of the major manufacturers.

Springfield is known for having a fantastic customer service department as well as a lifetime warranty. If you have any issues with a firearm, they will stand by their product and make it right.

I have a Kimber and a Springfield. I am very happy with each of them. My son has a Colt which has proven itself to be reliable.

Springfield...Kimber...Colt...I see no reason to look elsewhere.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    In that budget, you have a lot of good choices, but you, admittedly, don't know much about them.

Go buy a $500 pistol, like a RIA, or a basic Para, or Springfield. (put the other $1500 in an interest bearing account)

Own it, learn about it, and shoot the wheels off it. Wear it out, and sell it for $300. By that time, you'll have a bit more than $1500 in your savings account, you'll give somebody a heck of a deal on a used 1911, and you'll have the knowledge and experience necessary to get the 1911 that really fits you.

Top Bottom