• ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    at 1500-2000....

I am a Sig 1911 lover myself. I've only shot one other 1911, a Kimber 2 gen or 2 series... not sure if that's what it was called but it was a Kimber for sure. It was a completely different shooting experience from the Sig. The guns, even though they are both 1911's are completely different. You need to look into a few things in my opinion that will help you make up your mind. The biggest one I think is do you want a heavier or lighter 1911. That will change what your frame is made of and who manufactures it. Some companies do all steel and thus are much heavier. Others do aluminum which is lighter and gives you a completely different feel.

Well, anyway, what I found is that every 1911 is different. If you can find some people that have different kinds get with them and shoot them, see if one strikes your fancy and take its basic characteristics, barrel length, weight, trigger, etc... and apply it to your research to narrow down which 1911's fit your desire. From there hopefully you can have it down to 3 or 4 and can probably knock one or two out based on poor reviews or feedback on their customer support or other things. Then you've got it really narrowed down and have to make the final decision based on all factors.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    While these threads can be fun, most of your answers are going to be whatever the responding person owns. Try to get out and shoot a few different ones. See what features seem important to you and which don't. We are all different. Read some articles at B&N in the gun mags. There are usually several 1911 articles every month. Keep reading here and you will pick up some good info and maybe more importantly get an idea who really knows them inside and out.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd love to have one of the new Detonics someday, but prefer the 5" model in my 1911's. My recommendation in your price range would be to patiently look around until you stumble across a Wilson Combat for around $1600-$1700. You'll probably need to look for a few weeks or months to find one, as $2000 is about the usual price, but they can be found. If the thought of a used 1911 turns you off for some reason, then in the under $2000 market I think I'd plunk my money down on base model Les Baer or maybe a Springfield TRP...but honestly, there are too many safe queens out there available on the market for me to go with a new 1911, unless I was going to spec out a true custom just to have one exactly as I want it.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have no knowledge of the detonics 1911, but on looks alone I would much rather have a Dan Wesson or a Raptor Kimber. Im sure its probably the better gun overall but kinda ruins the 1911 style imo.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The Detonic is part plastic?

Nope.

Not on any of their models. The modern MTX is aluminum and steel, milled on a 9-axis CNC machine that allows it to have an incredibly complex shaped frame and grip that many people presume is polymer but is, in fact, aluminum.

I have no knowledge of the detonics 1911, but on looks alone I would much rather have a Dan Wesson or a Raptor Kimber. Im sure its probably the better gun overall but kinda ruins the 1911 style imo.
    They also make traditional 1911 style pistols. If that is your preference they also make those.

Here is one of my current production all steel CombatMaster compacts...
    19.jpg

And here is a modern full size Detonics, with a 6" factory target barrel (also available in the traditional configuration):
    11-4.jpg

Last edited:

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    melensdad, any word on a 5 in MTX? I only see the 3.5 in, I thought you had said at some point a 5 in version would be available. Also, whats the expected price and where to purchase? I want to start saving for a Detonics MTX... Thanks!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    melensdad, any word on a 5 in MTX? I only see the 3.5 in, I thought you had said at some point a 5 in version would be available. Also, whats the expected price and where to purchase? I want to start saving for a Detonics MTX... Thanks!

I'm waiting to get my hands on a 5" MTX for my very own . . . I know they have pushed back the production on the consumer version of the 5" gun because they are pushing to release a super-secret (yes I know what it is) project that is truly revolutionary in the gun market. My daughter will be taking some college classes at Washington University this summer in St Louis, the Detonics factory is not far from St Louis and I may try to arrange to get into the factory to see what I can see.

That said, I understand that Detonics is still a couple months (2 to 5) away from selling the 5" guns to the public.

As for the price of the 5" gun, I'd expect it to be very similar, perhaps slightly more, than the compact version.

As to where to buy a Detonics, generally speaking the history of Detonics, all the way back to the original factory, is to order the guns directly from Detonics and have them build it for you. Detonics has a long history of selling hand built guns that are built by real gunsmiths, with one person building the gun from start to finish. This is very different than most semi-custom or production guns where guns are passed down an assembly line and assembled by many different people, each inserting a part and then passing the gun to someone else.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think the problem is that there are just too many great options. I've got an S&W, Les Baer Premier 2, STI Trojan and Springfield loaded target. They all shoot where you point them and none of them has ever had a problem.
    Of those four I'd strongly reccomend which ever one feels best in your hand and suits your budget. Just my personal opinion, but I don't think you get much gain in the way of function after you go past a fairly modest price point, maybe 500-750 ish new gets you a great shooting gun if you select carefully.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I'm waiting to get my hands on a 5" MTX for my very own . . . I know they have pushed back the production on the consumer version of the 5" gun because they are pushing to release a super-secret (yes I know what it is) project that is truly revolutionary in the gun market. My daughter will be taking some college classes at Washington University this summer in St Louis, the Detonics factory is not far from St Louis and I may try to arrange to get into the factory to see what I can see.

That said, I understand that Detonics is still a couple months (2 to 5) away from selling the 5" guns to the public.

As for the price of the 5" gun, I'd expect it to be very similar, perhaps slightly more, than the compact version.

As to where to buy a Detonics, generally speaking the history of Detonics, all the way back to the original factory, is to order the guns directly from Detonics and have them build it for you. Detonics has a long history of selling hand built guns that are built by real gunsmiths, with one person building the gun from start to finish. This is very different than most semi-custom or production guns where guns are passed down an assembly line and assembled by many different people, each inserting a part and then passing the gun to someone else.

Thanks for the info!! I'm hoping to get one of the 5in MTX, so if its delayed a but, its more time to save. Its nice to know that the Detonics are hand built, one by one, by one gunsmith. Thats awesome!!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    There are some really good ones out now. Im a Colt guy. Luv my GC. However, I recently just purchase the Taurus 1911 and must say it shot really well. i like some of the standard features and it felt great in my hand.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a Kimber and a Colt. The Kimber is great, the COlt is Classic. If I were to buy another 1911, I would get a Sig or save a little more and get a Nighthawk.

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Rock Island makes great 1911's. Stainless models are very inexpensive compared to Colt or Kimber. Before investing too much on your first 1911, try one out to see how it feels. I would NOT recommend the .22 models.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    ... Just my personal opinion, but I don't think you get much gain in the way of function after you go past a fairly modest price point, maybe 500-750 ish new gets you a great shooting gun if you select carefully.

Which of the available guns in that price range would be a great shooting gun? Can we assume that all of the guns in that price range would be a good selection?

Top Bottom