• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Certain "employee guns" are long guns strategically placed daily. Some ATF examiners ask that a sticker or label of some kind be placed on the gun saying "personal". That way there is no confusion when they come in for an audit. The ATF aren't hard to deal with nor do they intentionally try to screw gunshops. Or so I've heard

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Employees' personal carry guns were never an issue at my previous place of employment. I went through several ATF audits during my years there, and the inspectors never mentioned it. Any employee's personal gun that was in-store for any other reason (to be worked on, to show off, whatever) had to be tagged with a "PERSONAL - NOT FOR SALE" tag. If it stayed in-store for more than 24 hours, it had to go into the book.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    8 years working in a gun shop, and never once have I ever had to log my personal weapon.

look at it this way, if it's logged in, it has to be logged out, look at the time it would take to do this every day, now we do have a few "personal firearms" that are tagged as such per atf guidelines (the Winchester 97 that's loaded with 00 buck "just in case")

but if they(batfe) make me start logging my gun, i'll just start carrying a used gun that's for sale in the store.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I worked a gun store/indoor range in Tucson for a few years back in the 1990's. Store owner wanted us to carry while working and had a policy of running you through a qualifier with whatever handgun you were carrying. he also provided ammo for the qualification. I used to carry a different handgun every month just to do qualifications with a variety of different types of handguns!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I worked a gun store/indoor range in Tucson for a few years back in the 1990's. Store owner wanted us to carry while working and had a policy of running you through a qualifier with whatever handgun you were carrying. he also provided ammo for the qualification. I used to carry a different handgun every month just to do qualifications with a variety of different types of handguns!

To me this makes sense. Especially the different guns. Train with what you carry! But wanting an employee to "log" their guns into a database is asinine. I would expect no less from Point Blank.
    Dan

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Noblesville...it wouldn't be Bare Arms would it? This sounds like something that shop would do.
    I do live in Noblesville, but it is not Bare Arms. This is a pretty hot topic around our shop right now amongst the employees and most of us are reaaaaalllly curious to see how this shakes out in the end. That's about all I'm going to say at this moment.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    That's my understanding of things. This certain shop wishes to create a log of sidearms, owned by employees that they could potentially have on their person if the ATF shows up to do an audit. This would be a seperate log from the bound book. The stated reason for creating this log (serials included) is to eliminate any confusion as to which guns in the building are the property of the store and which are not. I think it's a heaping pile of bull

Is your gun store owned by the government? Maybe it's run by an Air Force Major Command headquarters staff? This kind of stuff sounds so familiar....

Often during my military career somebody would get the idea, especially just before a scheduled IG inpection, that property accountability was just a little too loosey-goosey and suddenly a barrage of local regulations and instructions would erupt. This resulted in stuff like me having to take my personal coffee cup that had my grade and name imprinted as part of the design (a gift from a previous assignment) and put a label on it marking it as "personal property."

Another good one was trying to declutter the walls of taped up cartoons and home made signs and whatnot by requiring everything on the wall to be in a frame. So some wiseass mid-level NCO would smile to himself and within a day or two every thermostat and light switch plate would have a frame around it.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Went to a range on the south side of Indy (actually Greenwood) Friday. Remembered this thread and took note that a couple of the employees were not carrying! Hmmmmm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Went to a range on the south side of Indy (actually Greenwood) Friday. Remembered this thread and took note that a couple of the employees were not carrying! Hmmmmm.

How do you know? Did you ask them? Strip search them? Maybe they are on the CC side of the OC/CC debate?

I know my IBW Supertuck is FAR more comfy than my OWB Serpa. Anymore if I want to OC I just put on the IWB and dont cover it with my shirt. (Virginia tuck) Hypothetically speaking, If I were to be granted the ability to OC at work, I wouldnt OC, or would at least sloppy CC with my IWB.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    But but the snowflakes will be a skerred! IMO Screw intimidating. I'd be more about access time. A perp will walk in with his gun out and pointed. The extra few seconds it takes to pull from cover can be a matter of life and death. Look at the timing of the good guy behind the counter in the pawn shop robbery video that's out right now. His timing was perfect.

Top Bottom