• ...and so much more!
  • JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I have thought about it, but I don't think I could. I keep 6 calibers:

.22 Short and .32 Long- oddball rounds, but inherited guns that I will never allow to leave my possession.

.32 ACP- because my fiance likes my .22 Short, and I hoped this would keep her away from it a little bit ;)

.38 Spec- because who doesn't love a J-frame snubbie?

.357 Mag- this is my backup/car gun- when you backup is loaded with 6 shots of 357 mag ammo, I think you're in pretty good shape. At least I can use the .38 Spec for range time.

9mm- one of my EDC's, plus my CZ is just great home defense/carry/range weapon.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I try to shoot a variety of calibers in all different types of guns. It keeps range trips interesting and I want to be able to pick up most any type of gun or rifle and be able to shoot it well. I own a mix of semi auto and revolvers in handguns and also shoot my AR, lever action and bolt action rifles that I try to stay practiced up with. I reload everything I shoot accept the .22, so no pocket draining trips to Walmart for buckets of ammo.

Currently shoot:
    .22 handgun and 2 rifles, 1 bolt, 1 semiauto
    40 XDm
    45 XD, Colt 1911
    38-357 LCR
    45 colt Lever action, pair of Ruger Vaqueros
    7mm Remington Magnum bolt rifle
    .223/5.56 2 AR's mine and the wifes

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Prediction

I can hit a 1 iron...or a 2 wood...but I'm a +2 handicap. It's not for everyone :rockwoot:

You will eventually get rid of that 1 iron in favor of a hybrid. They are for everybody. Four of them in my bag. But then, I'm about a 12. :D

Oh yeah, as to the OP, lotsa' guys do very diverse types of shooting. One caliber can't begin to do the stuff we do.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Not going to happen. At this moment I believe my son and I have 27 or 28 different calibers (and ammo for all). We also have the dies for almost all, will get the remaining dies as we find out what we need. One major advantage is that when a bargain shows up in ammo most of the time we can use that caliber. :) We don't leave much brass at the ranges!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I kind of do with handguns. I've been a .357 fan for 15 years. I have a 3 gun .357 battery, a 6" GP100, a 3" SP101 and a LCR .357. The only 2 other pistols I own are a HK45 and a Super Redhawk .454 Casull in a 6" barrel. My philosophy is I carry the HK because the zombies have decided that 20 vs 1 flash mobbing is a new tactic and the .454 is purely my big stuff hunting gun. Aside from this the .357 does everything I could need or want. I do intend to add to the .357 battery with a .357 rifle and quite possibly a 4 inch Security Six if I find the right deal. The .357 in a rifle is a smidge below a 30-30 in performance and old timers used the 30-30 on everything up to grizzlies for years.

In long guns, besides a .22 I have a Sharps rifle in .45-70 and a 12 gauge Mossberg 500. I really can't think of anything I'd need beyond these two. I won't lie though. The idea of a dedicated defense rifle attracts me for the same reason I got the HK45. Something purpose built.

This is the debate in the end. I hunt and with that comes the need to have a variety of calibers. To go single caliber I'd have to give up purpose built. Every time I think of going single caliber, I come to the conclusion that what I really want is a single caliber SHTF kit ready to go with ammo, primers, powder, a single bullet mold and and a breech lock hand press in the BOB so I know I can grab the .357 rifle, .357 pistols and be ready for anything on 2 or 4 legs in the lower 48 for a long time. In the end you can even reload a .357 with blackpowder if you have to (and know what you're doing).

MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    I'd like to jump in on this debate but for my own info. I currently have two .40cal S&W for carrying. I see a lot of mention of what seems like many of you don't like that caliber? I'm new to this and have had this caliber in the past and have came back to it when I started carrying again this last year. I also want to pick up a .45acp in the near future and many other interest from there such as an AR. Is the lack of interest for the .40 do to the cost of the round or?

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I'd like to jump in on this debate but for my own info. I currently have two .40cal S&W for carrying. I see a lot of mention of what seems like many of you don't like that caliber? I'm new to this and have had this caliber in the past and have came back to it when I started carrying again this last year. I also want to pick up a .45acp in the near future and many other interest from there such as an AR. Is the lack of interest for the .40 do to the cost of the round or?

The slow, heavy push of the .45ACP really does find a nice rhythm with most shooters. It's a controllable caliber which most can shoot well for a long range session. Plus, it's one of the easiest calibers to reload, IMO. Of course, the most gorgeous part of the .45ACP is when you get to shoot it through a favorite 1911. And, I'll confess, I enjoy the deeper sense of history and heritage bound up with the .45 over, say, a newer caliber like the .40. Call me sentimental.

Why not the .40S&W so much…? Many agree that the recoil profile of that caliber is sharper (and not in a good way, IMO). And speaking only from my own experience, I just never cared for the G22 which I had available to shoot the .40. So, I never really warmed up to the caliber OR the gun. Plus, I like reloading larger calibers more than fiddling with the smaller cases and bullets of smaller calibers. Might sound silly, but again, that's just me.

That's the best I got. :) I'm sure others will not only completely disagree with me (and with compelling reasons!), but will also find better ways of expressing what I tried to say. :ingo:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh

This is just my opinion, I don't want to start a flame war or caliber battle...

I like .40 because it's bigger than 9mm, I feel that it will drop anybody that is trying to hurt me, and I don't think the recoil is bad at all...

I hear alot of people say that .40 is a snappy round, well, I think it kicks less than my .380 did, and I don't have any issues throwing 200+ rounds down range with my .40.

Price, it's cheaper than .45, and .380. The cheapest handgun ammo you can get is 9mm, and I don't feel it has the power I want.

Just my $0.02

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    To answer the OP's question: No.

I like the variety of calibers, I have fun with it. I own 26 so far. I buy many of recent acquisitions because they are a caliber I don't have.

MrNova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    No.Indiana
    The slow, heavy push of the .45ACP really does find a nice rhythm with most shooters. It's a controllable caliber which most can shoot well for a long range session. Plus, it's one of the easiest calibers to reload, IMO. Of course, the most gorgeous part of the .45ACP is when you get to shoot it through a favorite 1911. And, I'll confess, I enjoy the deeper sense of history and heritage bound up with the .45 over, say, a newer caliber like the .40. Call me sentimental.

Why not the .40S&W so much…? Many agree that the recoil profile of that caliber is sharper (and not in a good way, IMO). And speaking only from my own experience, I just never cared for the G22 which I had available to shoot the .40. So, I never really warmed up to the caliber OR the gun. Plus, I like reloading larger calibers more than fiddling with the smaller cases and bullets of smaller calibers. Might sound silly, but again, that's just me.

That's the best I got. :) I'm sure others will not only completely disagree with me (and with compelling reasons!), but will also find better ways of expressing what I tried to say. :ingo:

This is just my opinion, I don't want to start a flame war or caliber battle...

I like .40 because it's bigger than 9mm, I feel that it will drop anybody that is trying to hurt me, and I don't think the recoil is bad at all...

I hear alot of people say that .40 is a snappy round, well, I think it kicks less than my .380 did, and I don't have any issues throwing 200+ rounds down range with my .40.

Price, it's cheaper than .45, and .380. The cheapest handgun ammo you can get is 9mm, and I don't feel it has the power I want.

Just my $0.02

Sorry OP didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. But I agree with you both, in a way. I love my Sig 229. That gun is so sweet to shoot. An the .45acp I want is a 1911. I will start my own thread on that one though as I have a lot of questions. To the OP, I don't think I could stick with just one because I love choices!

DeezArmory

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Variety is the spice of life for me! I try to procure as many different calibers as I can (at least all of the relatively common ones). Perhaps you could just focus on stockpiling 1 and just having a few boxes for the others when you occasionally shoot them?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    i've considered this, but can't rationalize down past 3-4 .......... if i HAD to pick one , id say 357mag , and cut down to just a SAA 357 and a leveraction 357 ...... i suppose i could settle if need be , but i would miss 22 - 12g - 223 - 30/30
    Oh, believe me, I miss any and all calibers of guns that I have weeded out, but I have to live within my means and I just don't have the cash for all the different types of guns I used to have. Sucks.:(

bigz82

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Northeast Indianapolis
    A use 5.56 for my ar15 and plr 16 that also take the same magazine then can covert the ar to shoot 22 also have a marlin 60 two calibers 3 guns plan on buying a 22 handgun

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I'm one of those people that has just as many calibers as guns. Fortunately for me, though, that's not very many right now. .22LR, 9mm, 7.62x25, and 7.62x39 (still in layaway for a few more days though). Still need some things that shoots .45, .223/5.56, 12ga, and either 308 or 30-06. Will probably have a 7.62x54r Mosin within the next month or so too.

No one caliber can cover every need, but I see nothing wrong with stocking a few key calibers. My plan is to have a bunch, but focus on just a few.

Top Bottom