• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I have 3 CZ handguns all in 9mm and .22. My biggest problem is $$. When I go to the range I can go through several hundred rounds easily. I couldn't afford to do this on .45 acp all the time.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ever look at your ammo stockpile and think "Screw it, I'm going to ditch everything that doesn't shoot XX?"

I've streamlined a bit, but I still have to stock .380, .40, .45, and .44 just for handguns. If I can wean my wife off her .380 and end to a .40 I'd at least be down to 3.

Then about 8 others I stock for shotguns and rifles...

I did until I got my second gun.

Let's see: .45, .9mm, .380, 7.65x25, 7.65x54R, 6.55x55 Swedish, 44 Special, 44 mag, 38 Special, 357 mag, 22lr, 12 gauge, 45-70, .577 caliber ball, .71 caliber ball, just no .40

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    In my opinion, go ahead and narrow your stockpiling, but keep multiple caliber weapons. Depending what post-SHTF world looks like, you may need to be able to use what ever you can get your hands on. People tend to expect that they're going to be close to their cache when the SHTF. The whold concept of having all your eggs in one basket could prove to be a fatal mistake. Just thinking out loud.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    In my opinion, go ahead and narrow your stockpiling, but keep multiple caliber weapons. Depending what post-SHTF world looks like, you may need to be able to use what ever you can get your hands on. People tend to expect that they're going to be close to their cache when the SHTF. The whold concept of having all your eggs in one basket could prove to be a fatal mistake. Just thinking out loud.
    I agree, if you have the income to support such an endeavor. I agree with your logic, but for me I just don't have the money for many types of guns or calibers.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    People collect calibers for different reasons. Some hunt a variety of game. Some collect
    for the joy of it. If you're worried about ammo availability then buy revolvers in. 357 and learn
    to load your own. Primers and powder are cheap, and equipment , while not cheap, lasts a lifetime.
    Casting is simple and lead isn't scarce yet. You can buy rifles in. 357 or add a 30-30. With gas
    checks you can load cast bullets in the 30-30 almost to factory speeds. The same gas checks
    Will load 30-06 but not to modern velocities.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    If one has to become mobile when SHTF how are people going to move, especially while on foot, with their 15 firearms of different caliber?

Kind of what I was thinking. Every lb of gun is a lb less of food, water, etc. Plus if you find a cache of ammo, isn't it likely you'd find a suitable gun for that cache there too?

Top Bottom