• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Looking to pick up some extra magazine's for an XDS. What are your guys opinions on promag vs springfield's own?

ProMags are a lot cheaper in price. Should I stick with factory or can I pick up some Pro's for range time? Thank's for any help.:ingo:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have had some varieties of Promags which have worked well but for the most part they are well inferior to factory mags. I have an M&P9 promag I use at the range but would never carry it.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Get the factory ones when ever possible. Only go to promag as a last ditch effort for a gun. Paying $30+ sucks, but it will work and work every time when compared to the cheaper Promags. I got lucky with my XDs. they had a summer rebate where you bought any single stack Springfield, you would get 3 extra mags for that gun in the mail. Only took 2 weeks too.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The factory mags are better VALUE, especially if you shoot a lot. They will last longer the the promags. I'm not sure what their warranty is so if you do get one that doesn't work, it might be just throwing money in the trash. Then you buy another one and you have spent just as much as a factory mag. You can find them online for $30 for the 9 round extended mag.

On the plus side, if you do get a bad promag, you can get plenty of malfunction drills in.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    On the plus side, if you do get a bad promag, you can get plenty of malfunction drills in.

Always thinking on the bright side, aren't you:cool:

Thank you all for the advise. I picked up a Springfield extended mag. I have been shooting this gun with only a 5 round mag and no room for my pinky to grip. Picked up an extended mag, switched the grip plate down a size, and went from loving the feel to really, really loving the feel. This gun carries really nice in summer and for a .45, shoots very comfortably. Thanks again!

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Bought a pro mag for M&P .40 despite the sage like advice given on this very forum not to. It didn't function because there was too much slop after it engaged the magazine catch. Returned it and bought factory mags, problem solved. Others have had success as mentioned but I'm unwilling to try it again.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I'm 0 for 6 on promags. 1 for a mini 14 that sent the bolt on top of the half fed round and smashed the cases right in the middle. And 5 for my m&p 9 that the base plates pop off of and send the rounds falling and spring and follower flying. All five of them have had the base plates fall off at one time or another. Some of them have been during the loading of the magazine with ammo, some have been loading the magazine into the gun, and my personal favorite is the one that flew off during shooting.

Just say no to pro mag!

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    I got lucky and bought my xds when they offered 3 free mags with purchase. I tried one promag and it wouldn't feed for ****.

Stick to to fsctory mags. What size mag you looking for? Might sell 1 or 2 of mine.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Never had an issue with the factory mags. And I have quite few to feed my XDs and XDm's. This is honestly the first I have heard of anyone else making magazines for the XD line of guns. Given the feedback so far, I'd stick with the factory mags though, especially for a defense gun. IF you can wait, Springfield usually has their annual 30% off sale around November-December. That's when I stock up on their magazines and accessories. But that's an IF you can wait thing since it is still a way off.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I haven't tried the XDS Promags but I have one for my XD9 that works fine and I recently bought a Promag for my XDM9. It functions fine but the Springfield speedloader won't work with it for some reason.

I agree with the consensus that factory mags are better.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have had some varieties of Promags which have worked well but for the most part they are well inferior to factory mags. I have an M&P9 promag I use at the range but would never carry it.

Agreed. Springfield mags through Midway $23.99

Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I am in the Pro mags are not very good at all Camp to. I bought a couple they're cheap. Which makes you want to buy them but then you wish you hadn't.

Top Bottom