• ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Some examples of Godly, upright people who have had "wayward" children:

1 Samuel 2:12 Eli's sons were wicked men; they had no regard for the LORD. - Eli

1 Samuel 8:3 But his sons did not walk in his ways. They turned aside after dishonest gain and accepted bribes and perverted justice. - Samuel

The Death of David - David

And the best Father in the universe, God Himself: Adam and Eve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History is replete with good parents whose children make bad choices. We have one (valedictorian, homecoming queen, cross-country team captain, preparing for mission work) and her direct opposite (lies, steals, "experiments" with alcohol, has questionable friends, resent that her parents breathe) who were both raised in the same house by the same parents. Children come out wired in a certain way, and you can't fight genetics. Sometimes the parents' best efforts just aren't enough.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    A childless adult giving advice on raising children is like a virgin giving me advice on sex.

^^^^^^^^^ this made me laugh

Seriously though...

On a more professional side, many people are not just using nurture or nature to explain people's behaviors. They use a mixture of the two because, like many here have said, people are all different and all have their own reasons for doing what they do. For some people it could be mostly "nature" and very little "nurture" for why they do the things they do. Other people could be the exact opposite and always had the chip on the shoulder (nature), but had great parents who taught them how to control it (nurture) and they went on to live productive lives in society.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nature: lying & selfishness
    Nurture: teaching honesty & generosity

No, not arguing with anyone in particular with this statement - just like to repeat it.

If you want great insight into the natural human condition - observe toddlers and young children. No one has to teach them to lie to keep from getting in trouble. They just do it. No one has to teach them to be selfish with "their" toys; they just do it.

-J-

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    AOL has highlighted this story, prefacing it with:

Act of vigilantism takes shocking turn

I tired of these damned "journalist" that keep referring to acts of self defense as vigilantism.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    So if you have anything constructive to add in this thread: Do you think the father in the OP failed as a parent?

It is not our place to judge this mans parenting skills, only the actions described in a very short article. Personally, all I can do is have empathy for this man. He tried to do the right and proper thing and his son is dead. Why are you so quick to assume he's a bad parent?

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    How can a child raised right go down a wrong path? That makes so little sense.

Either he or she raised right or not.

This generation of parents are better at making excuses than they are parenting.

Totally contradicts anything found in either the real world or academia, ranging from studies on twins raised separately to just looking at how different siblings raised in the same house sometimes turn out.

There's a hell of a lot of influences other than parents on your kids, especially today. Even as hillbilly as I grew up, I still had television, books, the radio, etc influencing the way I thought. I can't imagine how much more influence today's kids get from their constant bombardment with internet, way more television, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    AOL has highlighted this story, prefacing it with:

I tired of these damned "journalist" that keep referring to acts of self defense as vigilantism.

Spin spin spin and more spin. I grew weary of this crap long ago. There are no real journalists any more.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have to respond, it is very possible for a child raised right to go down the wrong path. 3 children in the same home, all raised the same. Oldest child has a PHD in Theology is an active professor at Indiana Wesleyan University. middle child is a married house wife who ran her own business for close to 8 years. Youngest child is a convicted felon, served 10 years in prison. Youngest child has been "out" and on the right side of the law for 10+ years now, but how could he have gone down the wrong path when he was raised the same as his siblings?

+1

Think of the bell curve. Most fall within the norm. But there are exceptions of each end. There are teenagers who just sort of naturally are great. Others are sociopaths. Most sociopaths are born that way and parenting has nothing to do with how they turned out.

+1

This generation of parents are better at making excuses than they are parenting.

Not so fast!

You can do all the right things as a parent and have a child go down the wrong path ie get arrested, be a bum, milk the system etc, etc etc. One example look at Jeb Bush, President Bush 41-42 Son, Brother. While no one knows what goes on in anothers house I'm sure he was a good parent but if you remember his Daughter got into some serious trouble with Law Enforcement.

I have seen outstanding parents have children get arrested for serious felony offenses. I have also seen people that were worthless as parents, to the point you think "their kid dosen't have a chance" and their kid turns out an upstanding college educated citizen!

Every family has at least one that turns down the wrong path.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No matter what you do right or wrong, the child will choose what path they will follow.
    I have raised a handful and all have led me a marry chase at some point in their development. Most are doing well and raising family's. One, not so much. He made his choices after having all the advantages available to the others. Tried to keep him on the right path. He chose an alternate one. The harder we tried the farther he strayed. At some point, they will make decisions with or without you.

Edit....have you seen the pics on line. Is this a current pic or a Travon Martin deal

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

I do agree we have a parenting problem in this country.. but sometimes children choose the wrong path.

It's called free will. Some people choose evil over good. It doesn't seem to make sense, but that's just human nature.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I do agree we have a parenting problem in this country.. but sometimes children choose the wrong path.

It's called free will. Some people choose evil over good. It doesn't seem to make sense, but that's just human nature.

:+1:

There are multiple turning points in the relationship between proper instruction and free will:

1. Did the parents teach their children properly?
    2. If yes, did the children listen/understand?
    3. If yes, did they choose to accept what they were taught as truth?

2., alternate. If no, did anyone else step in with good instruction (teachers, etc.)?

3., alternate. If no, did the children encounter negative consequences that taught them to accept what they were taught as reality on the street even if they are disinclined to conform of their own volition?

Even with good instruction, children can reject what they were taught, especially with the aforementioned external influences acting on them, manage to dodge deterrent forces long enough to become established in the wrong direction, and as a result, you have a life-long degenerate.

Top Bottom