• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This country is all about equal opportunities, not equal outcomes, a point often lost on some. Free will and personal choice don't always guarantee success.

At first glance, it appears a punk kid has forever altered several lives. It's very sad. Now the media and the enlightened nannies can further attempt to destroy what's left of this mans life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This country is all about equal opportunities, not equal outcomes, a point often lost on some. Free will and personal choice don't always guarantee success.

At first glance, it appears a punk kid has forever altered several lives. It's very sad. Now the media and the enlightened nannies can further attempt to destroy what's left of this mans life.

Trial, conviction and execution by media.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I would think even the most petty of criminals including 15 year old boys would know not to sh*t where they eat. The kid learned the lesson the hard way. Now the father goes thru unfathomable anguish that no parent should go thru. Tragedy indeed.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Never in my life would I have thought to bumrush my dad, especially in my teens.
    This kid was exceptionally stupid or dad never convinced him of the futility of such an attack.
    When I was 16 dad caught me smoking and threatened to break my arm if it happened
    again before my 18th birthday. I never had reason to doubt him.
    It is not our job to make our kids like us or even love us...it IS our job to make responsible
    law abiding adults of them. If you do that they might love you or possibly like you.
    If you fail, chances are they will eventually hate you anyway, and break your heart.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm in my mid-20's with no kids so I will not be speaking from a parent's POV.

Regarding previous comments I can say that there is definitely a thing called "free-will". Growing up I had parents who were willing to give me everything I needed and did not shy away from punishment. They gave/give a sh*t and did/do everything they could/can to keep me on the right path. But, as a kid I did some stupid stuff. Nothing like B&E or attacking my family. But, I still did some pretty stupid things. As I think most of us have. Do I sit there and blame it on my upbringing? Not at all. Would I expect others to blame my parents. Not at all? Society? Not at all. Just free will and my own idiotic views of the world at that time. Since high school I've cleaned up my act and would be considered an "ideal citizen" by most. And before anyone starts being concerned I have no criminal history. Just talking about the usual stuff that kids do.

We don't know the father or his parenting style. And to question his actions or parenting without facts is ridiculous. Show some empathy and pray for the man. The kid went down the wrong path for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he had a great and loving dad...

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    It's surprizes me how many people equate a " good kid" as him/her having a degree or a good job.
    As a parent myself I base it all on character.
    Do they treat people with respect.
    Do they tell the truth.
    Are they honest.
    If they become a CEO or Professor,yet treat people like dirt, or lie and cheat to get there I would not be proud.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    So if you have anything constructive to add in this thread: Do you think the father in the OP failed as a parent?

I've constructively contributed in such ways that you've yet to recognize.

Did his father clothe, put a roof over, and feed him? Did he see to it, that he received an education? Did Dad provide unconditional love to his son? Did Dad do his best to nurture his son to become a man?

Do we know the answers to these questions? Until then, we won't know if the father failed, or didn't failed in being a parent.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Some kids hide things well, When your child surprises you in a negative way some people want to blame the parent immediately. Doesn't matter how great of a parent you are sometimes the kid you raised right chooses to go down the wrong path!

Just read an article today where a 14y/o girl hid a full-term pregnancy from her parents.

-J-

What does that matter? I have opinions as do you.

You and I both have observations that don't require us to have that particular experience to formulate objectivity that, in this subject, effect us all.

Did I criticize you for your failings? Is your child going to break into your neighbors house despite your awesome parenting? What will you do?

Nobody is claiming you can't have opinions. But opinions that haven't been wrought in the fire of experience tend not to hold as much weight in considerations. And in some cases, are just about worthless.

Top Bottom