• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Likely when they took all things into consideration and arriving at a compromise that works for a wider variety of agents in all shapes and sizes,..

There's the problem , they should stop hiring hipster , girly "men" .

One of the entrance tests should be whether or not you can qualify with a .45 .

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The 1994 AWB was another reason the 40 became popular. Aside to the Feds downsizing from the 10mm to the 40, if you are going to be regulated to 10 rounds, might as well make them big ones. If the 40 is a better round but they are trying to save money on them being worn due to the larger caliber then it will not be a variable for the average CCW. I like the fact that you can put a .357 sig barrel on a 40 and get close to a 357 magnum velocity from a Semi Auto. Nothing wrong with a 9mm, I feel just fine carrying one. I also agree with a lot of points in the article. More ammo, lower recoil to get on target faster are two variables I like when the latest trend is flashmob events / mob attacks . I feel just fine being able to slap a few 30 round magazines in my vehicle for insurance that I too will "get home to my family".

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    There is zero difference in effectiveness between comparable 9mm and .45 ammo. Zero.

I would think that any of assisting newer shooters in learning to shoot or deciding on a handgun caliber to carry, most would advise to carry and use whatever you shot best. And 9mm happens to be easier to learn to shoot well. Think of the FBI spending less of your tax dollars on ammo acquisition and less on the training necessary to be proficient if they stuck with .40 or went with .45.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I only carry .40 because during the scare 2yrs ago there was no 9mm to be found!
    In the next panic there will only be the dust outlines of the 9mm boxes on the shelves...
    and I'll be able to walk into wally world and grab all of the .40 that I want MWAHAHAHAHA!!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I only carry .40 because during the scare 2yrs ago there was no 9mm to be found!
    In the next panic there will only be the dust outlines of the 9mm boxes on the shelves...
    and I'll be able to walk into wally world and grab all of the .40 that I want MWAHAHAHAHA!!

I don't think you need people for this one. It's an absolutely true statement. .40 ammo was readily available when every other caliber was scarce.

I'm considering getting a .40 cal handgun just so I have something to train with during the next panic.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Buy a Glock 23 or M&P40. Then go buy a 9mm conversion barrel. Carry the 40 and shoot 9mm. Problem solved.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Buy a Glock 23 or M&P40. Then go buy a 9mm conversion barrel. Carry the 40 and shoot 9mm. Problem solved.

Could you do that in reverse? Would a Glock 19 accept a .40 conversion?

*Nevermind. I found an answer. Likely more trouble than it's worth trying to do the reverse conversion.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    55146319_zpsbuww6mnr.jpg

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Also get a 357 Sig barrel.
    I have an M&P40 with one, and a Glock 32 (which is the same frame as a Glock 23)
    Then you also have the additional choice of hot a "9mm" with 125 grain bullet loadings equivalent to a 357 Magnum 4" barrel.

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Point taken. However, I think we can all agree, FBI is the trendsetter.

Totally agree.....typically, as goes the FBI, goes A LOT of buyers, either civilian or LEO.
    I'm assuming because there is a belief the largest federal police agency, with the largest budget MUST be correct because they MUST have done all the proper testing and evaluation.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Totally agree.....typically, as goes the FBI, goes A LOT of buyers, either civilian or LEO.
    I'm assuming because there is a belief the largest federal police agency, with the largest budget MUST be correct because they MUST have done all the proper testing and evaluation.

Not to get off topic just for Gee Whiz for folks that didn't know. Numbers wise the agency with the largest Federal LEO's is the Federal bureau of Prisons with 36,000 (all in BOP have statutory powers of arrest and carry firearms however usually it falls on the 20,000 Officers, some daily some not with the exception of clergy and Public Health service) The second is the Custom's and Border Patrol with around 25,000 BP agents that carry everyday followed by ICE (the blue uniformed entry point gurus) with around 11,000. The FBI has around 10-12,000 special agents but are more proactive tip of the spear type than most of the rest of any Federal LE. The FBI knows their stuff and for the most part have a decent combination of well educated folks that have common sense as well, a lost combination these days.

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ah interesting, thank you for the info.

However, the common sense comment????......lol just teasing some of the feb's that might be lurking in the shadows. All are brothers.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ah interesting, thank you for the info.

However, the common sense comment????......lol just teasing some of the feb's that might be lurking in the shadows. All are brothers.

With the common sense statement I should have stated I was referring to line agents not upper administration or SAC's!

Top Bottom