Federal Form 4473 Revision Forces Some People to LIE.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's not proof that it didn't snow in Indianapolis. That's just proof that the weather sensors didn't detect any.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    That's not proof that it didn't snow in Indianapolis. That's just proof that the weather sensors didn't detect any.

Time doesn't exist either....and metaphysically, you really didn't make this last post.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow this sounds like a whole bunch of crap to me. Just like any government form. Might as well just give us a Rubik's Cube and only sell us a gun if we can solve it in under 10 mins... Just don't let us know about it and make sure none of the government type people have no idea what's going on with it either. Oh, and I'm in the "Why do they need to know race anyways" group.
    Another "toilet paper" reference? ;)

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Just typical of our very inefficient and incompetent and getting very useless federal government. We are being run into the ground by bureaucrats and the stupid federal employees who work for them. All of the federal employees that I have to deal with on a regular basis have an air of superiority and think that they are worth putting up on a pedestal when, in fact, most of them are really on the weirdo side of life.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I third that. VERY cheap. The must be going green, using recycled toilet paper and napkins.

The new format sucks too, was that change really necessary? I wonder who complained enough to get it to be changed.

I am sure nobody really complained. But there is a "forms dept" somewhere that have to change the forms now and then to make it look like they are needed.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    We didn't get the FAQ either.

Nobody received the FAQ. They know nobody reads the FAQ's anyway.:D

But I fail to understand why the 4473 and all the "requirments" one must jump through to "enjoy" the forefathers' guarantees. The second amendment is the only one that we have to go above and beyond and through the ringer to exercise.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I was at Westforth the other day and I was looking that and had a debate about how what we call "race" or ethnicity isn't what it really means. Like White is not a race, and neither is Asian or Native American. It really doesn't make sense how the labels on that. Personally just write down what skin color you are and that's it. It doesn't mean anything. It's like putting down what color your eyes are on your driver's license or how much you weigh. It doesn't change you the person, just makes it better to ID you.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Actually, I think this is just an effort to make things more accurate.

"Hispanic" isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. A Hispanic person can be White, Black, Native American, or a mix of any of the three. You can find people born in Mexico, from families that have been in Mexico for over a century, who are more or less pure European.

It's why some countries have stopped tracking race entirely, because it is more or less meaningless.

For example, a couple I know has two (adorable) daughters. The father is Caucasian and the mother is Asian. So, when the girls grow and someday decide to buy a gun, what box are they going to check? Caucasian ? Asian? If we follow the old, racist, "one drop rule", then the girls will be Asian. But is that really accurate?

Or take our President for example. He is billed as the first African-American President. But is he? His mother is Caucasian and his father is Black. He self-identifies as Black and the community accepts him as Black, but he really could check either box on the form (or select "Other") if he wanted to. Really, most African-Americans in the US, descended from people who were enslaved, are most likely mixed with Caucasian ancestry as well a some Native American. Plenty of "white" Americans have the same mix.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Actually, I think this is just an effort to make things more accurate.

"Hispanic" isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.

So can I start checking "FEMALE" instead of "MALE"? For the record, I'm a male lesbian - a woman trapped in a man's body and attracted to other women.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    According to the paper that went out, white people do not exist in South Africa. Which means I need to talk to a South African friend and find out where he's really from.

Approximately 4.6 million people of European ancestry in South Africa today. I'm sure they'll take comfort in the fact that they aren't really white.

If they would ever come to America, perhaps they can join the NAACP or the NBP.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Approximately 4.6 million people of European ancestry in South Africa today. I'm sure they'll take comfort in the fact that they aren't really white.

If they would ever come to America, perhaps they can join the NAACP or the NBP.

I lose sleep every night knowing that I'm white. These guys, who are no longer white, can now sleep a tad bit better everyday because they are no longer the majority of the world and they have someone standing up for them.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Saw the same issue in a gun shop in Portage and the owner had to ask the customer to come back the next day, as he didn't get any reason on the phone.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I lose sleep every night knowing that I'm white. These guys, who are no longer white, can now sleep a tad bit better everyday because they are no longer the majority of the world and they have someone standing up for them.

And once you aren't white, you can't be prejudice. :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So as of July 9th, FFLs had to start using a new version of the 4473. One difference (the main one, really) is that “race” is now split into two fields. Question 10a is “Hispanic or Latino” or “NOT Hispanic or Latino”. Question 10b goes on to the other options like “Asian, Black, White,” etc…
    Tonight a guy came in and did paperwork on a Kel Tec and for 10a he checked “Hispanic or Latino” because that’s what he is. When I called it in, the Call Center Rep asked what was answered on 10a, so I said “Hispanic or Latino”. Fine.
    Then she asked for the answer of 10b… I replied “Nothing.”
    She said, “10b is a required field. We can not proceed.” I said, “Well, the customer IS Hispanic and nothing else applies. What is he supposed to do?”
    I was quickly shuffled to customer service who told me that in the required field, if nothing else applied, the applicant had to mark “White”.
    I said, “But he’s Hispanic…not White”. She got really snippy with me and said if I had a complaint, I needed to call my local ATF field agent and lodge my complaint (which my boss will be doing tomorrow).
    Basically, from here on out all data collected for Hispanics that do not claim any other race, will fall under being “White”.
    How do ya like that?

Let me get this straight, there really are white Latino's just because some bureaucrat says so???? WTF...over

Top Bottom