Finding my first gun, not asking for recommendations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    "Everyone" is full of crap. The compact/subcompact 9mm describes a pretty large chunk of the market. The Glock 19 is, arguably, the gun that every other semi-auto carry gun is compared against. Single stacks like the Shield are incredibly popular carry options.

Go to a rental range, shoot a bunch of stuff. Pick ONE. Get some training. Then once you know what you're actually looking for, reevaluate if you want to stick with that gun or not.

I'd at least try the Shield, XD-S, Glock 26, Glock 17 (Striker fired), Sig P229 (hammer fired), and LCR (revolver) to get an idea of what you like.

Also note that not all "full sized" 9mm have the same reach, and many of different trigger/grip/backstrap combinations to make them shorter. Unless you're REALLY tiny, a P226/P229 with an E2 grip and a short reach trigger would allow you to have a natural grip.

Agreed... the compact/subcompacts in 9mm these days are about the perfect combination of capability, carry ease and shootability (don't think that's a word). I've bounced from starting to carry with larger 357 Magnum's, small 357's, full sized 45, compact 45, dabbled with some 9mm, then to compact/subcompact 40, and finally came back to/settled on compact/subcompact 9mm's.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    LOL. I like that! I consider my Shield as a single stack 9. Not a compact. Though it is rather compact. Not a sub since it's not under anything. It's a Goldilocks pistol. Not too big, not too small...just right.:)

Point of Order. A commander sized 1911 is also a single stack handgun. And truth be told the shield really isn't since the cartridges are staggered somewhat in the magazine. That is how they squeeze an extra round in there compared to some other guns. But M&P subcompact just doesn't have the marketing flair.

:p:stickpoke:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Or any .380 for self defense. Yeah I know someone is gonna get triggered and butt hurt with reading this lol
    I have learned from the INGO that if you won't let someone shoot you in the face with that caliber, you lose the argument. I know it doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't want you to hit me with a rock either. But apparently that is how it works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Or any .380 for self defense. Yeah I know someone is gonna get triggered and butt hurt with reading this lol

I taught my kids to shoot handgun with 22 and then to .380 for semi-auto pistol. Browning Cheeta. Great little gun. Reliable and accurate.
    The .380 round is just short on steam.
    JMHO of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have learned from the INGO that if you won't let someone shoot you in the face with that caliber, you lose the argument. I know it doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't want you to hit me with a rock either. But apparently that is how it works.

Hell Expat I have no desire to be shot by anything from a pellet gun on up.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    "Everyone" is full of crap. The compact/subcompact 9mm describes a pretty large chunk of the market. The Glock 19 is, arguably, the gun that every other semi-auto carry gun is compared against. Single stacks like the Shield are incredibly popular carry options.

Go to a rental range, shoot a bunch of stuff. Pick ONE. Get some training. Then once you know what you're actually looking for, reevaluate if you want to stick with that gun or not.

I'd at least try the Shield, XD-S, Glock 26, Glock 17 (Striker fired), Sig P229 (hammer fired), and LCR (revolver) to get an idea of what you like.

Also note that not all "full sized" 9mm have the same reach, and many of different trigger/grip/backstrap combinations to make them shorter. Unless you're REALLY tiny, a P226/P229 with an E2 grip and a short reach trigger would allow you to have a natural grip.

I don't really have anything to add that you would want to hear. I am just acknowledging that I am, indeed, full of crap. Have a nice day. ;)

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I can say, without a doubt, that I can walk away from shooting my Sig P320c for an hour with a smile on my face and no pain in my hands/arms/wherever one might have pain from shooting a handgun. I also don't have issues with the Shield or FNS9c, other than not being as good with them, and they are definitely smaller.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    A lot of ranges have rentals, you can try a variety and see what you like. Personally, I know Glocks don't feel right in my hand, so I went the M&P route. Now I guess I'm a fan boy and have the whole line up just because.

I knew, there was something I liked about you .....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    OP, let me tell you my story .....

I took a class MANY YEARS ago, no INGO, NO Internet .....

I wanted to buy a handgun .....

The class provided 2 handguns .....

Both .22's ..... One a revolver, and one a semi auto ....

Both were 9 shot .....

I have always been told, a revolver should be your first pistol .....

I picked up the revolver, loaded it sent 9 rounds downrange .....

Hit the target 3 times .....

Picked up the semi auto, loaded it sent 9 rounds downrange .....

Hit the target 9 times .....

Guess which one I bought .....

The gun, is in my Avatar, and I still own it today .....

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    IF you can, go to the INGO open shoot next month lots of people will bring lots of guns and most of them will be there because they want to share the experience. Just avoid anyone consistently standing upwind of everyone, he probably had beer and cereal for the last several meals and you don't want to share that experience.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    If I went to this event what should I bring. I don't have a gun yet, but may have by 9/24.

I figure hearing protection, eye protection, lawn chair, water, snacks, gun, (how much ammo), targets? If so, what kind?

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If I went to this event what should I bring. I don't have a gun yet, but may have by 9/24.

I figure hearing protection, eye protection, lawn chair, water, snacks, gun, (how much ammo), targets? If so, what kind?

At the very least, if you are looking at shooting 9mm, then bring some 9mm.
    I don't usually mind if someone wants to try a couple shots through any of my guns.
    But, if someone wants to shoot a few mags, now the money starts to add up.
    Doesn't hurt to bring a box of something else popular you may want to look at.
    Worse comes to worse, you see a gun someone has that you want to try, and you don't have the ammo, talk to the owner. Chances are you can work something out.

And
    REMEMBER SAFETY.
    Start waving a gun around, and you're likely to be unpopular.

Ask questions. Most INGOers (but not all) understand that people will have questions if they are new to shooting, or new to an INGO shoot.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I like your approach to determining your first handgun. SHIELD
    SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD
    As most have mentioned, shoot as many varieties as possible before you decide. SHIELD
    I will respect you request and not tell you what I think would best fit your hand size and fulfill your need for enjoyment at the range. SHIELD
    Good luck! SHIELD

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I once worked with a guy who needed a new mower. He was moving and for the first time in his life would have a small lawn.

For weeks he researched mowers. Consumer reports, website data, on-line reviews, forums, etc. He knew every detail of every model. Horsepower. tire size. average repair costs, warrantee, drive method, and on and on. And understand, we're talking a push mower here, so it wasn't like he was spending several thousand on a riding mower.

Knowing that I used a push mower, he kept asking for input throughout this process... I kept telling him to go to a power equipment store. or lowes. or sears. buy something with the features he wanted from a major manufacturer and get busy mowing. I'm an engineer, and he was making my brain hurt.

Having completed weeks and weeks of research, he bought what was probably the best mower available.

Then, when he got moved in and spring came around and it came time to mow...... he hired a lawn service. Last I knew, the mower had never been used.

[/end analogy]

-rvb

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I once worked with a guy who needed a new mower. He was moving and for the first time in his life would have a small lawn.

For weeks he researched mowers. Consumer reports, website data, on-line reviews, forums, etc. He knew every detail of every model. Horsepower. tire size. average repair costs, warrantee, drive method, and on and on. And understand, we're talking a push mower here, so it wasn't like he was spending several thousand on a riding mower.

Knowing that I used a push mower, he kept asking for input throughout this process... I kept telling him to go to a power equipment store. or lowes. or sears. buy something with the features he wanted from a major manufacturer and get busy mowing. I'm an engineer, and he was making my brain hurt.

Having completed weeks and weeks of research, he bought what was probably the best mower available.

Then, when he got moved in and spring came around and it came time to mow...... he hired a lawn service. Last I knew, the mower had never been used.

[/end analogy]

-rvb

1. Sounds like me! :dunno:

Top Bottom