Finding my first gun, not asking for recommendations.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I'm kinda a impluse buyer; if I see a gun I lke, or a real low price and have the budget at the moment, I buy. If I don't like it after I shoot it, I sell.
    BTW been reading the responses about 380's. Know a guy who was shot by one(a robbery); almost died and spent 2 or 3 weeks in ICU, so they do work.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    IF you can, go to the INGO open shoot next month lots of people will bring lots of guns and most of them will be there because they want to share the experience. Just avoid anyone consistently standing upwind of everyone, he probably had beer and cereal for the last several meals and you don't want to share that experience.

1. I need to know about this!!!!!!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    You can always go to a range and rent a firearm and try it out there. They will not have ALL of the ones that you want to try, but this will also help you rule out ones that you will find that you definitely do not want.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    1. Sounds like me! :dunno:

Oh, we know that. Even when you write one line, you number it. :)

You are a guy who likes to gather and analyze and keep it in order at the same time. Hmm...sorta like me, lol.

We have to remind ourselves though to not fall into paralysis of analysis which is what RVB is talking about. I am learning...slowly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm kinda a impluse buyer; if I see a gun I lke, or a real low price and have the budget at the moment, I buy. If I don't like it after I shoot it, I sell.
    BTW been reading the responses about 380's. Know a guy who was shot by one(a robbery); almost died and spent 2 or 3 weeks in ICU, so they do work.

A pellet can kill you if it hits the right place.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I've been renting guns at Applied Ballistics, done four so far, some, like the Desert Eagle, I am not interested in shooting at this time.

I don't want to be a moocher so I have not asked others if I could checkout what they have, being on the firing line and shooting does not help talking to others.

I have visited four shops in Lafayette so far, was at Rural King last night and held a Walther PK380, it fit my hand, the Ruger LC9 grip was too wide (front to back) for my finger to reach the trigger.

I asked for and got some recommendations of other shops to visit (Wabash, Indy), to see what they have in stock that I could hold.

If I go to this Brazil event and stuff a couple ones in your holster you will let me shoot a few rounds with your gun? :-)

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    If there is one near you, Point Blank may not have great pricing, but they have a decent selection to touch and a few to rent (and you can swap out your rental within the hour, just have to buy their ammo to use with it). Cabela's also has a decent selection to be able to fondle, er, look at.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been renting guns at Applied Ballistics, done four so far, some, like the Desert Eagle, I am not interested in shooting at this time.

I don't want to be a moocher so I have not asked others if I could checkout what they have, being on the firing line and shooting does not help talking to others.

I have visited four shops in Lafayette so far, was at Rural King last night and held a Walther PK380, it fit my hand, the Ruger LC9 grip was too wide (front to back) for my finger to reach the trigger.

I asked for and got some recommendations of other shops to visit (Wabash, Indy), to see what they have in stock that I could hold.

If I go to this Brazil event and stuff a couple ones in your holster you will let me shoot a few rounds with your gun? :-)

Some folks (myself) are happy to let folks run their guns.
    I would ask how much real range time you have.
    Getting n00bies to the line in a live fire event is not something we all find comfortable. If you are willing to go slow and take instructions there are folks willing to help.

I will not be at this one as I am rolling north for a meet and shoot on Saturday or I would help you out here.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I started shooting pistols this May. Go to the range at least once a week. Have shot 1,500 rounds through .22lr target pistols and 50 rounds through a Glock 19. Don't own one yet.

All my shots have hit the paper, haven't done anything stupid or get yelled at by anyone, tend to think more about what I am doing than actually shooting. Have taken a beginner basic course at Applied Ballistics, appear to need to own a gun to take more advanced courses anywhere.

What is surprising is how many people I know (and some for a long time) are gun owners and I'm just now finding this out. Been invited to shoot at their private property so another reason to buy something. Wife also started when I did and has shot almost as much. When we visited Four Guns she picked out the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite with suppressor and had a hard time letting go. She also has smaller groups than I do, sigh...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What is surprising is how many people I know (and some for a long time) are gun owners and I'm just now finding this out.

That definitely occurs. I don't regularly discuss gun related stuff with people who are not into it, but have some in depth conversations with those folks I know who are into shooting/firearms, etc.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Talk to lots of people, most gunners will love to show you what they have and let you take a few shots with their guns. Get your hands on as many firearms as you can, even if it's just asking to pick up one in the gun shop. There are ways to get a feel for a gun without buying one. Guns and cars are alike in that they become "used" as soon as you sign the papers, however guns don't depreciate anywhere nearly as fast. I'd hold on to the one you bought, save up and do some research for the next one. It's always fun to research the next gun.

Top Bottom