• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Called the store Monday and talked to the manager, he was very polite and told me on next trip to store to give his name and I would get a refund on the fee with my next purchase.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Called the store Monday and talked to the manager, he was very polite and told me on next trip to store to give his name and I would get a refund on the fee with my next purchase.

I'm curious, did they say they would post signage or otherwise make purchasers available about this before they start the purchase process going forward? Just seems it needs to be disclosed.

Kind of like shop fees need to be disclosed at a mechanic... i.e. we charge x% shop fees to everyone, whether we use any supplies on the job or not.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    He said he thought it was posted, I told him I didn't see anything and the salesman said that nothing was posted by the counter. That may change now. I agree that it should be up or they tell you up front before you decide to buy, not find it out after looking at your receipt. I will check next time I go there.

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    There are some states where there is a fee of $2 as I believe in those states the FFL actually calls a state entity that then is an intermediary for the NICS process. Indiana is not one of them. At one time when I lived in FL, I think there may have been a fee.

Here's a list of states where there is a fee, per NSSF (notice that like we all knew, Indiana is not on it. I'd go ask for my $2 back) : http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/NICS_POC_States.pdf

I wish the list of states with a fee was accurate. I have bought 10 firearms in Virginia over the last dozen or so years from 4 different dealers in 3 different counties and the cost has been $3 and not the $2 that is listed. Wonder how many others are inaccurate.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    As soon as I saw this thread I immediately thought of Big R. They are the only ones doing this that I know of. They charge 2$ for a NICs check. I don't even think that's legal. I DONT and WONT shop at Big R for that reason. Screw their 2$ store policy fee. I can get a better deal elsewhere... Their prices were pretty much full retail anyways...

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I wish the list of states with a fee was accurate. I have bought 10 firearms in Virginia over the last dozen or so years from 4 different dealers in 3 different counties and the cost has been $3 and not the $2 that is listed. Wonder how many others are inaccurate.

Source: NSSF Survey of Point of Contact states
    Notes: This information is accurate as of Feb. 1, 2013. However, these fees are subject to frequent change. Also, in some cases,

local law enforcement agencies may impose additional fees not listed here. The cost of initial application for permits has been
    provided.
    In most instances, the cost to renew an existing permit is less.
    A full POC State has a state-designated agency who is responsible for processing all NICS background checks on behalf of the
    federal firearm licensees (FFLs) within their state. There are currently 13 full POC States.
    A partial POC state has a state-designated agency that is responsible for handling either all handgun or handgun permit
    background checks while the FBI processes checks relative to long gun sales. Currently, there are 7 partial POC states.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As soon as I saw this thread I immediately thought of Big R. They are the only ones doing this that I know of. They charge 2$ for a NICs check. I don't even think that's legal. I DONT and WONT shop at Big R for that reason. Screw their 2$ store policy fee. I can get a better deal elsewhere... Their prices were pretty much full retail anyways...

I'm guessing the store can append a fee for whatever they want to, as long as it isn't applied in a discriminatory fashion against a protected class (yeah, I know, don't even get me started) . It is the adding it to the purchase without disclosing it in advance that is the biggest concern as it's just not the way one should do business. Otherwise, as you said, don't like it, buy somewhere else.

Top Bottom