• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There are some states where there is a fee of $2 as I believe in those states the FFL actually calls a state entity that then is an intermediary for the NICS process. Indiana is not one of them. At one time when I lived in FL, I think there may have been a fee.

Here's a list of states where there is a fee, per NSSF (notice that like we all knew, Indiana is not on it. I'd go ask for my $2 back) : http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/NICS_POC_States.pdf

Last edited:

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    This reminds me of a deal back in the Late 80's or early 90's when VCRs were still pretty expensive. I went into a local place called Kings and a buddy from high school was working there. I bought a kind of high end VCR for $350. We were just BSing during the sale as he rang me up.

After I got in the car and started home, I happened to look at the receipt and factory printed on the bill was a $7.50 "paperwork fee". I was so pissed that I turned around and went back. I told him that was a deal breaker and to either take it off or return the whole thing. I will not tolerate that kind of crap. It's not the money, it's that they try to sneak it in.

Recently I went with my son to buy a car for him. I told the sales guy that whatever price we agreed on was all in except sales tax. I'll be damned if when he came back in with the paperwork there wasn't a $169 paperwork fee on it. Again, I told him it was a deal breaker and was ready to leave. They ended up taking it off.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Does it cost a retail store to use the NICS system?

No. The federal NICS system is free to use and thus there is generally not a charge for the check on a sale. As stated above, some states don't use the NICS. Here in Florida we use the FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) system and the dealer is charged for every inquiry. I believe the dealer is charged $5 by the state and they generally charge the customer $7.

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    It would be the last time I used that location. Charging a fee is absurd as far as I'm concerned. They've already made enough money on the guns and/or other items you've purchased. Too many other places that don't charge fees.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    The problem with the situation, IMO, was not explaining about the added fee before the transaction was completed.

No free lunch is what they teach in business school. Services are generally not performed without related expenses.

What is the markup on new guns, have you checked lately? The slim margin on new guns will not eek out very little to cover other store expenses. The store where I purchased a handgun in February did the background check on a computer, and computers/software/printers/toner are not free. However, no fee was charged for the background check-this time.

Last edited:

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    I'm going to call the manager Monday and talk to him, and if I don't get anywhere I will call the corporate office and talk to them. They do their paperwork and check by computer. I will not go back there to buy another gun, sad part is I could have gone across the street and got it for same price without the fee.Live and learn.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I haven't run into it in INDIANA.... but....

When I lived in UT, there was a standard $15 fee at the time (unless you had a UT carry permit). I'm fairly sure this was state mandated, not sure if it's still in effect.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Other states do it. Is "Big R" a chain that operates in other states as well? Maybe they just do that across the board for all NICS checks (whether in this state or not).

Regardless, I would put that place on my do not buy from list. It's already an infringement on our rights to force us through the NICS system. Forcing us to pay on top of that.....is unacceptable. And I don't want other stores to think it's ok.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I wouldn't pay it, but I agree with prohibited people getting hit with a fee. Same with delays (if they don't want to continue)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If they are going to do that, they need to either have you sign a contract up front before doing the NICS check, or charge before doing the NICS check.

It's unacceptable to do that after a rejection/delay if the customer wasn't in agreeance prior to the check.

And I, for one, would tell a FFL to go to hell if they asked me to sign a contract or pay up front for that. No way in hell. I'd take my money elsewhere.

I wouldn't pay it, but I agree with prohibited people getting hit with a fee. Same with delays (if they don't want to continue)

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    And I quote

"NICS Background Checks
    As shown above, FFLs will have the following three methods of performing background checks depending upon the state in which the FFL is conducting business:
    1) In states where the state government has agreed to serve as a point of contact for the system, FFLs will contact the NICS through the state POC for all firearm transfers. The state POC will make the NICS check and determine whether the transfer would violate state or federal law.
    2) In states where the state government has declined to serve as a POC, FFLs will initiate a NICS background check by contacting the FBI s NICS Operations Center in West Virginia for all firearm transfers. The FBI will make the NICS check and determine whether or not the transfer would violate state or federal law. The FBI will charge FFLs a fee for each background check.
    3) Finally, in states where the state government has agreed to serve as a POC for handgun purchases but not for long gun purchases, FFLs will contact the NICS through the designated state point of contact for handgun transfers. The FFLs will have to contact the NICS Operations Center for long gun transfers. The FBI will charge FFLs a fee for the long gun checks. "

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    And I quote

"NICS Background Checks
    As shown above, FFLs will have the following three methods of performing background checks depending upon the state in which the FFL is conducting business:
    1) In states where the state government has agreed to serve as a point of contact for the system, FFLs will contact the NICS through the state POC for all firearm transfers. The state POC will make the NICS check and determine whether the transfer would violate state or federal law.
    2) In states where the state government has declined to serve as a POC, FFLs will initiate a NICS background check by contacting the FBI s NICS Operations Center in West Virginia for all firearm transfers. The FBI will make the NICS check and determine whether or not the transfer would violate state or federal law. The FBI will charge FFLs a fee for each background check.
    3) Finally, in states where the state government has agreed to serve as a POC for handgun purchases but not for long gun purchases, FFLs will contact the NICS through the designated state point of contact for handgun transfers. The FFLs will have to contact the NICS Operations Center for long gun transfers. The FBI will charge FFLs a fee for the long gun checks. "

So.......... what is the fee? $2??

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks

No problem with a delay that is local, but a delay that requires me to drive from Indianapolis to Fort Wayne to complete the transaction is unacceptable. Ranger Supply also did not have any sign put up of such a fee. He simply tried to extort me, that's all.

Top Bottom