First Church of Cannabis picking up steam.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    According to what Chief Hite says, he's going to arrest everyone there, smoking or not. Seems like a good lawsuit that'll cost Indy some bucks. Not the chief or his officers, though. They'll have no skin in the game.

Is that what he said? Or did he say what you COULD be arrested for?

What skin should the officers have in the game for enforcing a state law that is still in effect? Yeah, there will probably be a lawsuit. Someone will volunteer to be arrested like at the minimum wage rallies. They'll get some pictures taken. They may sue. They'll learn the religious freedom act doesn't work quite the way they think it does, and that'll be the end of it. Things will remain status quo until the inevitable legalization of pot finally gets to Indiana.

Questions for any LEOs in the know:

How would officers determine who smoked and who didn't? Does this person have a joint in their mouth? Does it smell like weed?

Would you have to actually witness the act to issue a citation or make an arrest? Yes. There is no misdemeanor exception for possession of marijuana. However, there is a "visiting a common nuisance" law that could apply as well as possession laws.

Are there plans for officers to be inside the building at the time of the service to monitor activities? I doubt it.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I agree, that guy looks like Christopher Lloyd and talks like he's been smoking steady since the 60's.

Oh, he certainly has, among other things. I knew this guy about 13 years ago. He often came in to the clinic I worked at with a parrot on his shoulder. Quite an entertaining guy to talk to.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is that what he said? Or did he say what you COULD be arrested for?

What skin should the officers have in the game for enforcing a state law that is still in effect? Yeah, there will probably be a lawsuit. Someone will volunteer to be arrested like at the minimum wage rallies. They'll get some pictures taken. They may sue. They'll learn the religious freedom act doesn't work quite the way they think it does, and that'll be the end of it. Things will remain status quo until the inevitable legalization of pot finally gets to Indiana.

It's what he said.

Hite said police can't ignore Levin flaunting the law under the guise of religion.
    That means everyone in attendance next week is subject to criminal charges, he said, even if they do not partake of the church's sacrament.
    And you guys will have no skin in the game for arresting innocent people. You'll skate on any responsibility for your actions. As is often the case.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Haven't really paid attention..

"Supporters" of this group do admit this isn't a legit religious thing, and it's just being done for political demonstration... right? I mean, surely no one here is dense enough to think there is any religiosity to this group, yeah?

Edit: Answered my own question. Supporters of this group are likely quite anti-religion

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's what he said.

And you guys will have no skin in the game for arresting innocent people. You'll skate on any responsibility for your actions. As is often the case.

post a link to where he said in the affirmative that everyone WILL be arrested. Everything I have seen, he said they COULD be arrested.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yup, this "church" is a house in the middle of a neighborhood that can hold MAYBE 50-100 people (not sure where they will park). 2,000 people are expected to show up. This could become a danger to the neighborhood with traffic blocked and the Fire Marshal has serious concerns about the crown inside the house. The Chief can say what he wants, he's the chief. I am sure there will be no needless arrests after this is all said and done. I'm in Fairfax, VA until the 5th of July or I'd be detailed to this as well...good to be out of town.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Haven't really paid attention..

"Supporters" of this group do admit this isn't a legit religious thing, and it's just being done for political demonstration... right? I mean, surely no one here is dense enough to think there is any religiosity to this group, yeah?

Edit: Answered my own question. Supporters of this group are likely quite anti-religion

Apparently that is exactly what the High Priest told Curry during their meeting. Anyone that thinks that this is really going forward in the name of religious freedom is a moron.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So if my employer and the State of Indiana say that I can't smoke weed but my church says I can, I'm good to go right?

That's what the federal RFRA was crafted for. To protect peyote users from legal and employment repercussions. If, as the proponents say, the Indiana RFRA was crafted to be just like it (it wasn't, really) then the same principle should apply.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's what he said.

Are you suuuure that's what he said?

What innocent people are being arrested?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IMPD Chief Rick Hite stated. “Anyone who attends this or any other event and brings marijuana will potentially be subject to arrest or summons and criminal charges. If someone gives marijuana to another individual, that is a crime of dealing marijuana and also subject to arrest or summons and criminal charges.”

In fact, anyone present at all at the event could be charged with visiting a common nuisance.

“We’re making it clear up front that any violation of the law, any attempt to violate the law puts yourself in harms away. Don’t allow anyone to do that. We have our tactical plan in place. We will have people out making sure people are safe. But I suggest your stay away,

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    IMPD Chief Rick Hite stated. “Anyone who attends this or any other event and brings marijuana will potentially be subject to arrest or summons and criminal charges. If someone gives marijuana to another individual, that is a crime of dealing marijuana and also subject to arrest or summons and criminal charges.”

In fact, anyone present at all at the event could be charged with visiting a common nuisance.

“We’re making it clear up front that any violation of the law, any attempt to violate the law puts yourself in harms away. Don’t allow anyone to do that. We have our tactical plan in place. We will have people out making sure people are safe. But I suggest your stay away,

Just being there, and not even partaking in a crime will leave you subject to arrest. I have little faith that IMPD will take anyones word for it.
    Hite said police can't ignore Levin flaunting the law under the guise of religion.
    That means everyone in attendance next week is subject to criminal charges, he said, even if they do not partake of the church's sacrament.

Top Bottom